Alec Baldwin Fired Prop Gun That Killed Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, Injured Director

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Am I reading this right. The deadly shooting was the fourth misfire on the set? What a mess.

Yup. I was talking with some friends this morning about this and we suspected that this was a top-down problem and may have involved some kind of corner cutting. There's just no way an accident like this happens on a professional set in this day and age. 

Baldwin is a limousine liberal who probably played a large role in the poor working conditions for the production crew, and was completely fine with bringing in scabs to shoot the film.  

Even if he is never criminally charged, I would think the family of the victim has a strong civil case against him - not only did he fire the gun that killed the cinematographer, but he was also a producer for the movie. 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

Baldwin is a limousine liberal who probably played a large role in the poor working conditions for the production crew, and was completely fine with bringing in scabs to shoot the film.  

Even if he is never criminally charged, I would think the family of the victim has a strong civil case against him - not only did he fire the gun that killed the cinematographer, but he was also a producer for the movie. 

It's a low budget film and it's standard to give name actor like him a producer credit to compensate him for not making the kind of money he would make on a studio picture. Unless this is a film that he set up to make, I doubt he was involved with the day to day decisions on what was going on with that production. Don't know what the nature of films production agreements were though.

Bonanza-Creek-Ranch.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

A source close to the Rust production said before the prop gun accident that killed Halyna Hutchins a gun had two misfires in a closed cabin.

More info coming out...  This is an interesting nugget.

Even before Rust went into production, a number of armorers turned down the gig citing concerns about the budget of the film and the sheer amount of firearms to be utilized, we hear.

Also this...

Rust was first announced in May 2020 when Baldwin signed on to produce and star in the indie action/Western feature. The pic is based on a story by Baldwin and Crown Vic helmer Souza, who wrote the script and is the director. Frances Fisher, Jensen Ackles, Travis Fimmel and Brady Noon lead the cast.

So Baldwin was more than just a "Name only" Producer. He might be fucked.

When I was in college, my roommates were all film majors and shot a feature that they wanted to sell on DVD (mid-2000s). Guns needed to be used at one point and they looked into using blanks, and that’s when my one roommate’s dad stepped into bring down a shit storm about gun safety and all that (he was a cop). That said, we didn’t use any guns (outside of a toy gun we cleverly shot around in the finale), and found clever ways for the main character to murder people.

I myself was killed by getting stabbed with a butter knife and then strangled to death a noose.

See I’m in the exact opposite boat.  My friends and I were big film and video production nerds in high school, they kept on that track and made careers out of it and I took another path.

In high school, one of us bought two prop pistols for firing blanks.  These things were legit, they were essentially 95% of an actual beretta but the two main things were that the barrel was filled and even if you wanted to drill it out everything from the magazine to the filler barrel size were all machined to be non-standard and wouldn’t be able to accept an actual bullet.  

Firing that thing was no different than firing a gun in terms of noise and effect, the only visual difference was all the burst was coming out of the top instead of out of the barrel.  They did waaaaaay more irresponsible shit with it than I ever did like firing it indoors and close to their ears that I’m amazed none of them went part deaf.

_121242148_sheriffgetty.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

New Mexico authorities say it is too early to determine if arrests will be made or charges laid.

Alec Baldwin was handed a gun with a live round in it on a film set in New Mexico, the local sheriff has said.

The actor accidentally shot dead cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded the film's director Joel Souza on Thursday.

Authorities have recovered some 600 pieces of evidence related to the investigation, including three firearms and 500 rounds of ammunition.

No arrests have been made or charges filed so far in the investigation.

Speaking at a news conference on Wednesday, the Santa Fe County Sheriff, Adan Mendoza, made clear that the investigation was still in its early stages, and many more interviews still need to be done, including with Mr Baldwin, who he said is cooperating with authorities.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
_121242148_sheriffgetty.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

New Mexico authorities say it is too early to determine if arrests will be made or charges laid.

Would Baldwin potentially be charged? I would imagine as an actor that he would be insulated (since it's not the actor's job to prepare props, etc). But could he be named as a producer since the movie was clearly cutting corners overall? 

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Would Baldwin potentially be charged? I would imagine as an actor that he would be insulated (since it's not the actor's job to prepare props, etc). But could he be named as a producer since the movie was clearly cutting corners overall? 

I highly doubt that Baldwin could be criminally charged for anything related to this incident.

1236b24a-aa26-41ee-8451-12eadbad9db5.jpg
WWW.CNN.COM

The assistant director on "Rust" who handed Alec Baldwin the gun that fired the fatal shot acknowledged to investigators that he did not check all the rounds loaded in the weapon prior to the lethal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, a detective wrote in a search warrant affidavit made public Wednesday.

The assistant director on "Rust" who handed Alec Baldwin the gun that fired the fatal shot acknowledged to investigators that he did not check all the rounds loaded in the weapon prior to the lethal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, a detective wrote in a search warrant affidavit made public Wednesday.

Detective Alexandria Hancock described her interviews with first assistant director David Halls and armorer Hannah Reed-Gutierrez.

“David advised when Hannah showed him the firearm before continuing rehearsal, he could only remember seeing three rounds. He advised he should have checked all of them but didn’t, and couldn’t recall if she spun the drum," the affidavit said.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:
set-of-rust-fbi.jpg?w=1000
DEADLINE.COM

'Rust' Gun Could Not Have Been Fired Without Trigger Pull, FBI Report Says

I mean, if this was some schlub like one of us, they wouldn't need the fbi to investigate this in the first place. They just would have said, "revolvers don't fire on their own", and that would have been the end of that discussion, because revolvers don't fire on their own, and there would be absolutely zero reason to cock the hammer in the first place while not even being filmed. He had to both cock the hammer and pull the trigger.

Still, I lean on the armorer being at fault. Actors are not firearms experts, many have never owned or used one, which is why an armorer has to be on set. It's their job to ensure every action and movement is safe when the actor is using that weapon on set. At least that's how it was explained to me.

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, if this was some schlub like one of us, they wouldn't need the fbi to investigate this in the first place. They just would have said, "revolvers don't fire on their own", and that would have been the end of that discussion. 

Obviously I don't know about this specific, individual gun, but the general Single Action Army model in question here CAN fire without the trigger being pulled, which is why people often don't chamber a round in the chamber directly below the hammer if they're carrying one.

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Obviously I don't know about this specific, individual gun, but the general Single Action Army model in question here CAN fire without the trigger being pulled, which is why people often don't chamber a round in the chamber directly below the hammer if they're carrying one.

It's single action, it can't be fired without being cocked, for every single shot. There was zero reason to have cocked the gun and pointed it at people, imo. You typically don't (if you're sane) cock a single action revolver until it's time to shoot.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

A single action army can fire while not cocked.

Hitting the hammer in a single action is literally pulling the trigger. The gun didn't fire on its own  it fired because he directly hit the hammer.

He either "dropped the hammer", or cocked the gun and pulled the trigger. Baldwin said the gun fired on its own, it does not. Guns don't fire on their own if they are in good working order, and the devil doesn't load them (old wives tale, because how dare anyone blame the men for leaving a loaded gun around). This was all human error.

I can set off a bullet like he did with a vice, a nail, and a hammer too. Obviously if you deliberately strike a 100 yo single action, it will fire. That was literally the point of them That's the opposite of it firing on its own. Dangerous? sure. Its a 130 year old pistol, one of the earliest mass produced revolvers, but it doesn't fire on its own unless it is broken and can't hold the hammer back. In this case, there was nothing wrong with the gun.

6 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Hitting the hammer in a single action is literally pulling the trigger. The gun didn't fire on its own  it fired because he directly hit the hammer.

He either "dropped the hammer", or cocked the gun and pulled the trigger. Baldwin said the gun fired on its own, it does not. Guns don't fire on their own if they are in good working order, and the devil doesn't load them (old wives tale, becausehow dare anyone blame the men for leavinga loaded gun around). This was all human error.

I can set off a bullet like he did with a vice, a nail, and a hammer too. Obviously if you deliberately strike a 100 yo single action, it will fire. That was literally the point of them That's literally the opposite of it firing on its own.

I dont give a shit what Baldwin did or didnt do

You

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

it can't be fired without being cocked

me

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

A single action army can fire while not cocked.

As avid gun owner/outdoors man you self proclaim to be (although it must be confusing considering this is the 3rd account you are on now) dont muddy the waters on the topic.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha 2
  • Halal 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

Hannah-Gutierrez-Reed-Rust-Set.jpg?w=100
DEADLINE.COM

Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed is declaring a degree of vindication after a vital safety report's release Wednesday.

In the damning report, Rust Movie Productions LLC and its management were hit with a maximum $136,793 fine by the New Mexico Occupational Health and Safety Bureau for its “willful and serious” violation of workplace safety procedures during the filming of the indie Western.

“Critically, OSHA also determined that production failed to call Hannah in to perform her armorer duties and inspect the firearm right before its use in the impromptu scene with Baldwin,” Bowles continued in his remarks for his client. “As we have stated before, had anyone from Production called Hannah in back into the church before the scene to consult with her, this tragedy would have been prevented. Hannah has also reached out to OSHA recently in an effort to provide her suggestions for changes and improvement of safety standards on sets to avoid a tragic incident in the future.”

• 5 months later...
On 8/16/2022 at 12:20 PM, mclumber1 said:

I don't believe Baldwin (the actor) is responsible or liable for what happened here.  But Baldwin (the producer) is responsible and liable.  

Breaking news:  I was WRONG on my analysis.  Alec Baldwin is responsible as both the actor and producer in the death of director.  He will be charged with involuntary manslaughter, according to the New Mexico prosecutor.

230118103927-rust-set-file-super-tease.j
WWW.CNN.COM

Prosecutors will charge Alec Baldwin with involuntary manslaughter in the deadly 2021 "Rust" set shooting. Follow for live news updates.

I don’t think we can hand-wave the fact that a person improperly handled a firearm and it resulted in a death just because it was apparently normal behavior on film sets to just take somebody else’s word for it that a gun was “cold”. As I mentioned in the thread on the entertainment board, nothing Baldwin was doing meets the standards of the absolute most basic gun safety course you’ll ever take.

I can’t believe that such protocols were standard fare on movie sets when I started reading up on it in the trades after the initial reports from the shooting came out.