Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5) - Information Thread, update: New Game+, Audio Descriptions, other new features update releasing on March 7

Pikachu

The only ā€œconcernā€ I had going into this was that Spidey and Miles were both very ā€œtraditionalā€ open world games in terms of how they dispensed content, stories, collectibles, missions, etc., for the most part. The traversal, story, action, etc., all made up for it of course, but I found myself wondering if another full game in that style would wear a bit thin.

Ā 

But whatever, this looks good and Iā€™m hyped, even though I am in the same camp as @skillzdadirecta where I think that Venom wore out his welcome in the late 90ā€™s.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The only ā€œconcernā€ I had going into this was that Spidey and Miles were both very ā€œtraditionalā€ open world games in terms of how they dispensed content, stories, collectibles, missions, etc., for the most part. The traversal, story, action, etc., all made up for it of course, but I found myself wondering if another full game in that style would wear a bit thin.

Ā 

But whatever, this looks good and Iā€™m hyped, even though I am in the same camp as @skillzdadirecta where I think that Venom wore out his welcome in the late 90ā€™s.

Ā 

16 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Ā 

Venom was "90s Edge" before the 90s even existed.

EXACTLY... He was kinda the kickoff for all the worse things about 90's comics. As far as Heroes arch-nemesis' go, I much prefer Sabretooth (Wolverine) Bullseye (Daredevil) and a bunch of others.

The thing that pissed me off about Venom was that he knows who Spider-Man is, is immune to Peterā€™s spider-sense, wants to kill Peter, and justā€¦ never does. Go to his house my guy, you know where he lives. Wait until heā€™s asleep and bite his head off. At the time Venom didnā€™t have the ā€œbaggageā€ that someone like The Joker, or Lex Luthor, or Sabretooth or whoever had with their nemeses. Just fucking kill him :p

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The thing that pissed me off about Venom was that he knows who Spider-Man is, is immune to Peterā€™s spider-sense, wants to kill Peter, and justā€¦ never does. Go to his house my guy, you know where he lives. Wait until heā€™s asleep and bite his head off. At the time Venom didnā€™t have the ā€œbaggageā€ that someone like The Joker, or Lex Luthor, or Sabretooth or whoever had with their nemeses. Just fucking kill him :p

This... and then they ruined him even further by making him an anti-hero and then an eventual hero. So fucking lame. Plus he kicked off a trend in the 90's where every hero had an "evil mirror version" character. Wolverine, who already had Sabretooth got Omega Red, Ghost Rider got Vengeance, Batman got Prometheus, There was even another Captain America villain who was basically evil Cap (Not John Walker) I can't remember his name but I have a clear picture of him in my head. He had a triangle shield I believe and was bigger and stronger than Cap.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5, 20 October 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Gold" status officially announced

I'm curious how they handle the symbiote suit from a gameplay perspective, and how really as a player you should see, and feel how it's corrupting Peter and want him to stop using it. In a pure narrative medium like the comics, or movies and TV shows, it's easy enough to write that so the audience wants him to get rid of it, but in an interactive medium like games how do you make the player hate it when it comes with cool new powers that are fun to use? From a gameplay perspective you'd never want to lose those abilities, but eventually you will since of course at some point in the story Peter will get rid of the symbiote, and then Venom is born. That's a challenge. I wonder if maybe giving new gameplay powers was actually a mistake because of that, and they should have made the symbiote suit purely cosmetic. Pretty sure in all the media I've seen of Peter using the suit (at least older media from the '90s and '00s) he still has all the same powers, just stronger. Even the webbing is still white, and not black goop.Ā 

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Insomniac devs detail Marvel's Spider-Man 2 accessibility features, including options using the upcoming PlayStation Access controller.

Ā 

Ā 

Hey, everyone! Iā€™m Michele Zorrilla, the Advanced Senior UX Researcher at Insomniac Games. With the launch of Marvelā€™s Spider-Man 2 just around the corner, our team at Insomniac is excited to share one of the ways we can all #BeGreaterTogether ā€“ through accessibility! So today, Iā€™d like to highlight some of the notable accessibility features swinging into the game at launch on October 20, then Iā€™ll pass it over to Sam Schaffel, Insomniac Gamesā€™s Accessibility Design Researcher, who will provide an update on more features arriving in a post-launch update.

Ā 

Carrying forward our learnings from our recent games, weā€™re implementing useful accessibility features from both earlier titles in the Marvelā€™s Spider-Man franchise as well as Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. As with any new title, we also had to figure out new features to support the expanded gameplay systems of our favorite web-slingers.

Ā 

Ā 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5, 20 October 2023) - Information Thread, update: New Accessibility Features - PlayStation Blog post
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5, 20 October 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Be Greater. Together." trailer
On 9/18/2023 at 3:37 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Venom wasnā€™t even the problem for me, it was when they introduced CARNAGE where I went ā€œthis shit sucksā€ because Marvel decided Spider-Man needed a ā€œJokerā€.Ā 

Ā 

Maximum Carnage remains one of the worst things to come out of the 90s besides the Clone Saga. Hereā€™s 14 issues of Spidey, Venom, MORBIUS, and a bunch of other people chasing Carnage and his rag tag group of D-list villains.Ā 

The only time Carnage was cool was when Norman Osborn somehow got the Carnage symbiote and became the ā€œRed Goblinā€.

Ā 

6 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Venom wasnā€™t even the problem for me, it was when they introduced CARNAGE where I went ā€œthis shit sucksā€ because Marvel decided Spider-Man needed a ā€œJokerā€.Ā 

Ā 

Maximum Carnage remains one of the worst things to come out of the 90s besides the Clone Saga. Hereā€™s 14 issues of Spidey, Venom, MORBIUS, and a bunch of other people chasing Carnage and his rag tag group of D-list villains.Ā 

The only time Carnage was cool was when Norman Osborn somehow got the Carnage symbiote and became the ā€œRed Goblinā€.

Ā 

I approach Maximum Carnage the same way I approach a random TikTok where someone gets a horribly ingrown toenail extracted. Itā€™s terrible content yet sometimes I cannot look away.Ā 

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I approach Maximum Carnage the same way I approach a random TikTok where someone gets a horribly ingrown toenail extracted. Itā€™s terrible content yet sometimes I cannot look away.Ā 

Ā 

One time I had to dig an ingrown toenail out myself because of how bad it hurt. Went from zero pain to HOLY FUCK literally overnight.

Venom was actually done really well in the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series. The build up of Peter losing Eddie as a good friend, almost like an older brother, was so well done, especially because it was Peter's own damn stupid fault. You really understood why Eddie hated Peter, and it was all before Peter got the symbiote, so when he did he just made things worse.Ā 

Ā 

I do also think Venom's first appearance in the '90s animated series was also good because of how he wanted to toy, and slowly torture Peter psychologically. Haunting him. Something the films and games could do more of rather than just be big, tough, evil Spider-Man.Ā 

• Halal 1

I know Iā€™ve said it before but MAN I wish I could just go through the entire game with one character. Iā€™ve bailed on so many games where I was forced to keep swapping characters because of ā€œthe narrativeā€:rolleyes:. But I loved the first one so itā€™s quite the conundrum.Ā 

27 minutes ago, nublood said:

I know Iā€™ve said it before but MAN I wish I could just go through the entire game with one character. Iā€™ve bailed on so many games where I was forced to keep swapping characters because of ā€œthe narrativeā€:rolleyes:. But I loved the first one so itā€™s quite the conundrum.Ā 

Ā 

I understand your point but I have a huge amount of faith in Insomniac.Ā 

On 10/5/2023 at 1:04 AM, Brick said:

Venom was actually done really well in the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series. The build up of Peter losing Eddie as a good friend, almost like an older brother, was so well done, especially because it was Peter's own damn stupid fault. You really understood why Eddie hated Peter, and it was all before Peter got the symbiote, so when he did he just made things worse.Ā 

Ā 

I do also think Venom's first appearance in the '90s animated series was also good because of how he wanted to toy, and slowly torture Peter psychologically. Haunting him. Something the films and games could do more of rather than just be big, tough, evil Spider-Man.Ā 

The interesting thing about all the ways the series and movies have handled Venom is how different it was from the comics.Ā 
Ā 

When Venom initially revealed himself to Spider-Man, he has absolutely no idea who Eddie Brock is, THEN Eddie Brock goes into his history of why he hates Spider-Man, which theyā€™ve winced retconned into revealing that the real reason he hated Spider-Man was because he had cancer and the symbiote was the only thing keeping him alive and he was afraid that one day Peter would actually want the symbiote back.

Ever since then though, itā€™s always ā€œtheyā€™re childhood friends or coworkersā€.

Ā 

That said, the best Venom wasnā€™t even Eddie Brock, it was Mac Gargan (the Scorpion). Unlike Eddie who had a warped sense of justice, Gargan was such a piece of shit psycho when he had the symbiote. He bites off a guyā€™s arm!

• True 1

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Why? Is there some kind of unwritten rule in Starfield that says you canā€™t play Spider-Man 2 before finishing it?

Ā 

It's a ME problem. I can't focus on two games at a time. So I really have to stay focused on Starfield until I beat it then move on to Spiderman. I did this with Cyberpunk 2 weeks ago and it just doesn't work for me.Ā 

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ā 

It's a ME problem. I can't focus on two games at a time. So I really have to stay focused on Starfield until I beat it then move on to Spiderman. I did this with Cyberpunk 2 weeks ago and it just doesn't work for me.Ā 

Goddamn Best get off that game machine and come watch Jeopardy with us. Ā