Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5) - Information Thread, update: New Game+, Audio Descriptions, other new features update releasing on March 7

Pikachu

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5, 20 October 2023) - Information Thread, update: 2.5 million units sold to end-users in 24 hours (fastest selling PS Studios game in PlayStation history)

I'm really loving this one so far. The action is awesome and the storytelling continues to be top notch. I really enjoy the combat and how everything is additive. I'm never sacrificing one ability to have another, it's always just adding more and more to my arsenal. If anythings, there are almost too many things, and I can sometimes get a bit lost in everything I have access to.

The pacing of the game is really a tier above every other open world title and it's because of how well every aspect of the game gells together. There are main story missions with small story moments or enormous set pieces. There's a huge variety of side quests around the city that feel much more organic than in most open worlds, largely only popping up after you've gotten to a certain point and have explored the right part of the city. The variety there really is key, with some being very low stakes mini-games and others involving significant combat encounters. It's great that if you encounter a mission or side quest that requires a specific spider-man that you don't need to manually switch, just start the thing and the switch happens instantly.

Then there's the traversal, which itself is effectively a mini-game to enjoy between everything else. I'd recommend turning the swing assist way down in the settings (I have it on 0). It doesn't make swinging much more difficult, but it does make it more rewarding. It's much easier to end up in the side of a building or just without enough height, and it makes those perfect combos of swings and glides feel better when properly executed.

The wings are a lot of fun and really round out the experience of traveling around the city. I kind of wish the wind tunnels were a bit less obvious and maybe something discovered instead of being giant targets in the hud, but the actual experience of flying around the city is great. I'm constantly switching between flight and swinging and I'm having a great time.

Even the fast travel really sells the whole pace of the game. It's so fast and fluid and you can select anywhere in a district you've unlocked, so if you do want to finish a story section right away and don't want to swing across the city, it's a great option to have. I've only used it a couple times, but man is it slick.

The graphics are some of the best on the system, but there are occasional moments where things look very unimpressive. There have been a few times when things have been isolated and there just isn't much going on and it highlights some lower quality assets. Most of the time, there is so much happening that it's hard to appreciate exactly how good everything does look.

I've also had a couple crashes, which is unusual for Insomniac, but thankfully none of them have set me back more than a minute or two.

The Spider-man games have already been some of my favorite open worlds, and this third installment raises the bar in every way. Nearly every interaction has something extra to it that feels unnecessary, but still ads to the whole experience.

• Like 2

Had my first crash during a street battle, and the screen had a lot going on with turrets firing and people attacking. Still enjoying the hell out of the game, and just completed the Flint side mission. Just started the Coney Island part of the story before leaving for the dogs. 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Yep!

Also

DIMA DIMA DIMA DIMA

Strange. I loved the first Spider-Man and even saw the credits roll which is rare for me. And I’m loving Spider-Man 2. But Miles Morales didn’t click for some reason. Maybe I should go back and try playing it again. Should I finish it before continuing on the Spidey 2?

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Strange. I loved the first Spider-Man and even saw the credits roll which is rare for me. And I’m loving Spider-Man 2. But Miles Morales didn’t click for some reason. Maybe I should go back and try playing it again. Should I finish it before continuing on the Spidey 2?

The main bad guy from Miles Morales is in Spidey 2.

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

It would make some of it more meaningful I think especially with certain plot points. You could probably beat it in like 8 hours if you just rush the story.

9 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

The main bad guy from Miles Morales is in Spidey 2.

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

It would make some of it more meaningful I think especially with certain plot points. You could probably beat it in like 8 hours if you just rush the story.

Well shit, fml. lol

I’ve had a couple crashes as well but it’s so quick to get back in and they are so infrequent that it’s more of a “that’s odd” than anything really diminishing. And other than that this is such a damn successful sequel. This makes me feel how I wish GOWR did. It feels so much more fresh than that game even though this is the one that reuses the most playable area.  I think it’s safe to say that Insomniac is now Sony’s top studio. 

• True 1

See, this is one of a number of reasons this game is blowing my mind. I do a simple mission involving rescuing firefighters with "Where Have You Been?" only to 

Spoiler

see this has a plot twist with Yuri. First you rescue the guys, then you find out about somebody else, then the cultists, and now this opens up more side missions for a custom suit? Sweet! The quest itself had a cool build, and I had no idea that this type of mission was actually going to be memorable in that way.

Also, this was another mission that seemed to work off of stuff they learned in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. I felt using the spider-bot felt a lot like using the virus bot in Rift.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Also In REALLY glad I didn’t spoil myself pre-release - lots of cool stuff with how the story plays out that I didn’t know.

I knew Venom was in this game and that's it, and that was given away at the end of the first game, so everything is a surprise to me

• Halal 1

16 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I knew Venom was in this game and that's it, and that was given away at the end of the first game, so everything is a surprise to me

Yeah, pretty much same. I try to watch as little as possible for games coming out these days beyond the very basics and getting a feel for how development is going. I feel like so much gets spoiled on pre release media these days and I still like to be surprised by content.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

One thing I appreciate is how all of the science is based on real world existing technology 

One of the things that made me laugh was when Peter is hanging out with Harry. Harry is trying to sell Peter on taking a job with him so he can do real science because Pete is brilliant. Harry asks Peter, basically, if he’s heard of Gregor Mendel and the pea plants. That shit is like hanging out with Snoop Dogg and asking if he’s ever heard of George Clinton. :p Bitch who are you talking to. Peter invents whole new plants 90 seconds after that question. “Have you heard of Gregor Mendel,” fuck you motherfucker, I hope you sit on a pumpkin bomb and your children never learn how to read. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

One of the things that made me laugh was when Peter is hanging out with Harry. Harry is trying to sell Peter on taking a job with him so he can do real science because Pete is brilliant. Harry asks Peter, basically, if he’s heard of Gregor Mendel and the pea plants. That shit is like hanging out with Snoop Dogg and asking if he’s ever heard of George Clinton. :p Bitch who are you talking to. Peter invents whole new plants 90 seconds after that question. “Have you heard of Gregor Mendel,” fuck you motherfucker, I hope you sit on a pumpkin bomb and your children never learn how to read. 

Well it makes more sense when you realize how EASY doing a science in this world is. You don’t need to know a lot, you just need to be able to solve basic logic problems.

• True 1