Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5) - Information Thread, update: New Game+, Audio Descriptions, other new features update releasing on March 7

Pikachu

1876acc018df537d3f409db4ddd302326916ec93
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

New Venom details revealed, and what else we learned from Insomniac Games at SDCC’s Hall H Panel. 

The trailer sets up our story in the game while also giving you your first full look at the monstrous Venom in Marvel’s New York! Here’s Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 Senior Narrative Director Jon Paquette to offer a deeper look:

“At the beginning of our story, our Spider-Men are at the top of their game,” said Paquette. “But both Peter Parker and Miles Morales are struggling with their personal lives. Miles is trying to find time to write his college entrance essay, but he keeps procrastinating and focusing on Spider-Work instead. Meanwhile, Peter is underwater on payments for Aunt May’s house, but he can’t sell, it means too much to him. And just like Miles, Peter tries (and fails) to find balance with so many responsibilities. MJ wants to help Pete with the mortgage, but her job is on the line now that J. Jonah Jameson is back at the Bugle and looking to clean house. Our heroes have arrived at a confluence of crossroads, with uncertain futures, and some tough decisions ahead.”

When Kraven’s hunters arrive in the city, it sets off a mystery of why they are there and who, and what, they are hunting. But as the Spider-Men and MJ dig deeper into Kraven’s motivations, the symbiote begins to threaten Marvel’s New York and everyone and everything they hold dear.

d84c4562060a959568255d06aa66f8a6ffa18cd4
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Pre-orders begin July 28 for this striking new design inspired by Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 in-game Symbiote. 

What an exciting moment for PlayStation players, as the Insomniac team just wrapped up a captivating panel at San Diego Comic-Con with fantastic new reveals from Marvel’s Spider-Man 2. This includes a first look at the PS5 Console – Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 Limited Edition Bundle, which features a custom PS5 console cover design and matching DualSense wireless controller.

We were thrilled to debut these stunning designs to our fans today because of how they capture the look and feel of Marvel’s Spider-Man 2. The threat of Venom and the symbiote will be one of the most formidable challenges that our two Spider-Men will face in Marvel’s Spider-Man 2. This is why we wanted to reflect the intensity of the symbiote and its capacity for transformation and power with a takeover design for the PS5 console and DualSense wireless controller.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5, 20 October 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Story" trailer and PlayStation blog post, limited edition PS5 bundle pre-orders begin on July 28
4 hours ago, Biggie said:

Anybody buying the controller. I really like the translucent white buttons. 

I really over the look of the console and controller a lot but I just can't fork over the money to even get the controller. I agree though the translucent buttons look dope.

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5, 20 October 2023) - Information Thread, update: three environmental screenshots from NYT article
5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Three new environmental screenshots from a NYT article:

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The sequel to the 2018 video game will let players scour three boroughs in a love letter to the city and its Spidey savior.

F5mudZDWoAAFxB7?format=jpg&name=large

F5mufjMWEAAjulW?format=jpg&name=large

F5muiKVWwAAP8d8?format=jpg&name=large

Three whole boroughs? It was confusing enough trying to navigate a close-but-not-quite Manhattan. :lol:

Just don't go looking for the Chrysler Building (again):

Although the Chrysler Building appears in the 2018 Spider-Man game, it is missing in a 2020 spinoff, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, because Insomniac could not reach a copyright agreement with the building's new owners. The studio says the skyscraper will also be absent in October's sequel.

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Swing and soar over iconic landmarks across Queens and Brooklyn – complete with story missions, side quests, and city activities. 

Hey everyone – I’m Aaron Espinoza, the Advanced Senior Community Manager at Insomniac Games! Today, I’m delighted to drop new information about Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, including a look at our expanded Marvel’s New York, the ways Insomniac is evolving city exploration and details about the 10 suits exclusive to the Digital Deluxe Edition!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5, 20 October 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Expanded Marvel's New York"/"Digital Deluxe Edition" trailers and PlayStation blog post

Hands-on previews:

WWW.DIGITALTRENDS.COM

During a two hour demo of Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, we got to see exactly how Insomniac is doubling down on its superhero power fantasy.

Though the story seems to be going in some morally complicated directions, Insomniac hasn’t thrown away the playfulness at the heart of the series. That’s especially preserved with a fully playable Miles Morales, who acts as a perfect foil to Parker here. Where Peter is tortured, slowly morphing into a lone wolf, Miles is still an exuberant teen eager to help friends and community.

One mission sees him foiling a musical heist by sending a remote-controlled spider drone in through the vents, shooting webs at drums and cellos to distract robbers. When they make a break for it in their trucks, I swing after them in the streets. It ends in a bit of slapstick as I defeat one crew by tossing a floor tom at them. It’s classic Spider-Man in all of its friendly neighborhood charm.

Insomniac further doubles down on “comic mischief” with some of its new gadgets (accessed holding R1 and a face button this time). One tool shoots out web streams, sticks to as many enemies as it can, and then retracts them all into one another with a bonk. Other upgrades are more practical than comically cruel. Peter and Miles can now create walkable weblines, which go a long way to help stealth encounters. I no longer have to jump around looking for the right ceiling beam that’ll put me in position to take down a baddie; I can just create my own.

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The Hollywood Reporter previewed three hours of gameplay for the project, ahead of its release Oct. 20.

Spider-Man 2 is poised to continue this streak of bringing new stories to life while reminding us all what we love about our favorite heroes. And it’s clear the creators love and are incredibly protective of these characters as well. From every thwip in battle, to a quiet moments of bonding between friends, Spider-Man 2 looks to deliver on both story and spectacle, without sacrificing one for the other.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The storytelling is superb but Peter Parker and Miles Morales’s vastly expanded New York playground steals the show as you soar from one jaw-dropping encounter to another

In many ways, Spider-Man 2 feels like the PS5 itself. At first glance, it appears to be merely a bigger and shinier version of what came before, but over time, its smörgåsbord of small changes add up to something more substantial. It’s the iteration rather than innovation approach, a bigger and better successor that quietly impresses rather than blows your socks off. Yet when the result is a blockbuster this well-made, it is hard to walk away from Spider-Man 2 with anything less than a web-eating grin.

GIZMODO.COM

io9 played several hours of the new Spider-Man game coming to PlayStation 5 in October and it's everything you loved about the first game, only better. Even if we still don't know what's going on with Venom.

As much as I loved every single second of playing Spider-Man 2 this week, the one problem with the demo was that dropping into the story in the middle removed most of the emotional weight of the characters. Sony and Insomniac obviously did that on purpose in order to keep things like how Peter acquires the symbiote, or what Venom’s involvement is, secret for now. So while it was cool to compete with Kraven in a hunt for the Lizard, and see how a game with two lead characters would work, I yearned to discover more of this story. Where does it start? Where does it go? The biggest clues are in the times Peter and Miles interact and Miles can tell that Peter is not himself while that mysterious black suit lives inside him.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Just a few weeks away from the launch of Spider-Man 2, we've gone hands-on with the Spider-Men - both of them - to find…

Switching between the two Spider-Men and seeing how their goals and worldviews are rapidly diverging, it's clear to see a potential Spidey versus Spidey showdown in their not-too-distant future - particularly as the return of Harry Osborne is also putting something of a strain on their relationship too.

Insomniac's first Spider-Man game was about mentorship and sacrifice, while follow-up Miles Morales was about community and taking responsibility. What is Spider-Man 2 about? Balance, Paquette told us. "There's two Spider Men - both of these guys are at the height of their powers. They both have their own stories within this larger story, and the player can switch between them." The two Spider-Men need to find balance between themselves, then, just as Insomniac juggles the overall experience so fans enjoy playing as either.

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Plus additional insight from Insomniac Games on the game’s missions and story.

This past week has been a good one for Spidey fans. With just over a month until Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 swings onto the PS5 console, we’re getting a clearer idea of what we can expect come October 20. Insomniac Games has given us a closer look at the Super Hero and Super Villains cast with new character posters. Little under 24 hours ago we enjoyed a tour of the expanded Marvel’s New York (and a look at new suits) at State of Play. And today, you can get a deeper dive into the game’s combat, activities, story and more thanks to an extensive hands-on we had with a preview build of the game, bolstered by further insight from key staff who worked on the project – Senior Creative Director Bryan Intihar, Senior Game Director Ryan Smith, and Senior Narrative Director Jon Paquette.

This extended slice of gameplay took place some way through the story, a tense cutscene face-off between Kraven and a symbiote-encased Spider-Man serving as opener and concluding where the gameplay reveal earlier this year began. Between volatile science experiments and community exhibition break-ins requiring Super Heroic fists and smarts to solve, new activities to test Web Wings with, crimes to halt, tough boss fights to tackle, laughs to be had, and great character work to enjoy.

In the days prior to the event, I fired up the previous games to retrain my muscle memory and more accurately compare against what was to come. By the time I had to reluctantly set down my DualSense controller, initial impressions were overwhelmingly positive: Insomniac Games is firing on all cylinders with a Super Heroic sequel that’s richer, denser. One that packs in a ton of heart. Here’s why.

But my favorite improvement in Spider-Man 2 is the heavily reworked combat. Now both Peter and Miles have a wide array of abilities and gadgets at their disposal, but more on that in a moment. While exploring in the open world there are several different mission types to explore, meaning that yet again we will have no shortage of side missions to get lost in. Personally, I will always favor the combat arenas, and I spent so much time enjoying them that I lost track of time and never got to experience the aforementioned Lizard boss fight for myself. I was too busy trying to perfect my combat skills in the arena, gawking at the ray traced reflections on everything, staring in awe at the sheer amount of traffic, pedestrians and puddles in every scene, or stopping an assault-in-progress as it popped up on my mini-map. That was the best part. New York is covered in cool things to do as Spider-Man, and while I could have pursued the main storyline with my limited time, I was just having too much fun doing all of the other little things that pulled my attention away. Insomniac also noted that there will be missions that only Miles or Peter can complete, so it sounds like my quest to clear the map is going to be filled with variety.

But to dive into combat a bit more, the enemy density is really ramped up and will sometimes offer you a bit more of a challenge than you may expect. In Spider-Man you could maybe get away with only using your main attacks, but in Spider-Man 2 I found that more often than not I absolutely needed to use my Venom abilities and gadgets in the combat sections. The one small critique I have is that the not-dodgeable parry indicator color is red, and that’s the same color as other things you need to dodge like a bullet from a rooftop sniper. It took a bit of getting used to, but by the end of my demo window I was parrying and unleashing my gadgets and Venom abilities with ease.

WWW.IGN.COM

IGN sat down with members of Insomniac Games that worked on Spider-Man 2, this interview discusses the game from a technical perspective and what things did Insomniac do differently for its third entry in the Spider-Man series.

Spider-Man 2 is a big moment for both the popular superhero video game series and the PlayStation 5. As a PS5 exclusive, Spider-Man stands to be able to leverage the platform's technology in ways that previous games in the series have not. As part of our big Spider-Man 2 hands-on preview, IGN had the opportunity to sit down and interview several members of the development team, where we asked the team about all the ways the upcoming sequel is leveraging the PS5's tech.

Our interviews are broken up into two parts: the first is an interview with Mike Fitzgerald, the Director of Core Technology at Insomniac, and Jeannette Lee, who is the Project Director for Spider-Man 2, which dives a bit more into the technical side of developing Spider-Man 2. The second interview is with Doug Sheen, the Senior Programming Director at Insomniac, who talks a bit more about the programming side of things.

WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Insomniac Games is bringing together two Spider-Men for a sequel that it hopes will elevate what has come before by iterating on it.

Most importantly, however, my time with Marvel's Spider-Man 2 hinted at the exploration of themes that are core to both Spider-Man as a whole and the symbiote stories: both Peter and Miles are underground changes and dealing with challenges that are calling into question their own sense of self, who they are, and what they believe is right. One of them has found family, while the other has lost it, and the impact of that is something that the game looks keen to explore, through the lens of superhero fiction. It's an exciting prospect, especially as the performances already look to be worthy of such heavy subject matter. Peter's new gravely voice and aggressive demeanour is suitably unsettling, Miles's vulnerability is heartbreaking, and supporting characters like Genki, MJ, and Rio Morales delivered memorable performances in the short time I spent with them.

For those that want to know more, I encourage watching the preview video in which Lucy James and I talk at length about our time with the game. But those that just want the broad strokes so they can go in with just the basics should feel confident knowing that, at this stage, Spider-Man 2 looks to be doing all the right things to build on what made the previous two games some of the best superhero gaming ever. As the follow-up to the critically acclaimed and beloved Marvel's Spider-Man and its Miles Morales-focused pseudo-sequel, Marvel's Spider-Man 2--a full numbered sequel--looks to be taking everything developer Insomniac created for those two games and bringing it all together in a new experience that also layers on some new ideas atop the strong foundation.

And on top of that, Insomniac's ability to tell impactful stories in this world and with this character has been honed even further, and if they can pull it off this will be another Spider-Man story for the ages.

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Preview | It's a Spidey-celebration

I wasn't sure it was possible, but Insomniac has somehow made traversal in Marvel's Spider-Man 2 more fun. Of course, making movement fun is very much in Insomniac's DNA. From running about and flying in Spryo the Dragon, grinding and wall-running in Sunset Overdrive, to swinging through New York in this series, it's always been a huge part of why Insomniac's games are so enjoyable. But who knew that adding a wingsuit - or web wing - to Marvel's Spider-Man 2 would switch things up for the better. 

I was skeptical at first, I'll admit. Swinging through the skyscrapers of New York has always been a core pleasure in the Spider-Man games, coupled with nailing that perfect wall run or ledge leap to keep the flow going. But, the web wing only helps with that sense of momentum. You can switch to the web wing whenever you want between swings, allowing you to move across areas where there aren't skyscrapers to web onto, like Central Park or across the East River. Air vents can propel you skywards again too and for even more speed you can move through jet streams all over the map, which present themselves like airborne rings to glide through. 

WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Our thoughts after three hours of play -

Given the presumably mammoth sales projections Sony has for PS5 exclusive Marvel's Spider-Man 2, playing too fast and loose with the open world formula at Insomniac Games was probably out of the question. This is a franchise that shifts hardware, and after a year slightly lighter on PlayStation Studios content than usual, the title is a beaming light at the end of the tunnel. A portion of sales is already guaranteed based on the name alone, but the rest will flock when its quality is realised. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is a sequel that builds on past entries in all the right ways: safe but supremely solid in some and excitingly daring in others. While just a taste was on display at a recent preview event, it exhibited why the joint adventure of Peter Parker and Miles Morales is yet another Game of the Year contender.

We played just over three hours of the game, dabbling with its main story, open world, and optional activities. The build — which was roughly six weeks old at the time of play — began a few hours into the narrative, with the two Spider-Men on different courses through life. Peter is handling a relationship with MJ and the return of his lifelong friend Harry Osborn while Miles is trying to get through college. What brings them together is a new threat to New York: Kraven.

With all the high-production values you'd expect out of a Sony-published experience, the series of missions we worked through were gripping, thoroughly enjoyable, and entertaining even without the context of the game's opening. We found ourselves seamlessly slipping back into the world of Marvel's Spider-Man, remembering the controls and basic abilities without the need for tutorials. It speaks to how the whole of Marvel's Spider-Man 2 operates: the fond memories you have of the first two titles but bigger, better, perfected.

WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

New details from senior game director Ryan Smith - To accompany our hands on session with Marvel's Spider-Man 2, we were h...

To accompany our hands on session with Marvel's Spider-Man 2, we were handed the chance to pose some questions to senior game director Ryan Smith at the London event. Below, we get into how the PS5 hardware has accelerated load times in the sequel, how the open world has evolved, and answer one very important question: has Peter Parker lost any more of his backpacks to collectibles in the years since Marvel's Spider-Man on PS4?

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Insomniac is back with a confident sequel filled with sick suits and plenty of heart.

Even with all of its evident improvements, Spider-Man 2 shines brightest in its explosive set pieces and nuanced character drama. I played through an extended version of the massive Lizard fight featured in the gameplay reveal, sneaking into Curt Connors’ crib to spy on his experiments before Kraven crashed the party. Cue a chase sequence through the city into the sewers. As we fought, it kept reminding me of Spidey’s battle with Sandman in the third Raimi film. You’ll crawl through destroyed subway cars, and infiltrate dark, dank drainpipes, all before standing toe to toe with a green menace.

It all culminated with a breakneck chase through the city as the Lizard destroyed countless buildings and definitely murdered a few civilians as Peter tries to administer a cure that’s also the key to helping Harry. There are tangible stakes here all wrapped up in action that feels heavy and significant. If this is only the start of what Spider-Man 2 has to offer over its predecessor, I can’t wait to see how deep it ends up going. Judging from the confidence being showcased by Insomniac throughout, I imagine it’s going to go very far.

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 is the sequel I expected, but for once that’s a good thing. The first game was one of the strongest comic book stories in recent memory with gameplay to match, and Insomiac is only taking that further with more heart, more action, and more ambition. I just hope it’s able to triumph over old open world clichés and repetitive bouts of gameplay to become the follow-up we’ve all been waiting for.

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

We sit down with Jon Paquette to talk all things Peter Parker and Miles Morales.

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 is a story of healing. Themes of recovering from grief, trying to save close friends, and figuring out where you belong in a world you’re responsible for protecting are all woven into Insomniac’s sequel. Much of its narrative has been kept secret, but I had a chance to sit down with narrative lead Jon Paquette to delve into exactly what we can expect from Peter Parker and Miles Morales’ newest adventure.

WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

An interview with Spider-Man 2 creative director Bryan Intihar about making the game, working at Insomniac and being bo…

How does Insomniac do it?

It's a question I've encountered a few times in recent years. It refers to the fact the PlayStation studio will have released three major PS5 games in three years, while other AAA developers have yet to manage one.

Of course, Insomniac's games aren't exactly 100-hour epic RPGs. And it's a big studio with multiple teams. Yet even so, 2020's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, 2021's Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and the upcoming Spider-Man 2 is an impressive level of output for any developer.

WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

We spent 90 minutes fighting crime in New York City between story missions, side quests, and more.

My demo takes place a few hours into the game. Peter is already wearing the black symbiote suit and has his robotic Iron Spider arms. Kraven has launched his destructive campaign to hunt both Peter and the Lizard, the monster formerly known as Peter’s friend, Dr. Curt Connors. I witnessed several lengthy cutscenes giving me some glimpses into the story, and while I won’t go into specifics, I will say the dialogue and performances remain top-notch. As a PS5-only title, the presentation also sports a noticeable bump; Spider-Man 2 is a great-looking game. 

New York City is a larger, more dense playground thanks to the additions of Brooklyn and Queens. Like the previous games, it's filled with activities, some specific to Peter and Miles. Players can instantly switch between either hero any time they want outside of story missions, and the change is seamless, with the camera panning over to whatever section of the city the other Spider is currently patrolling. The feature is reminiscent of changing characters in Grand Theft Auto V, complete with watching a Spider-Man wrap up a random activity before taking control, such as Peter doing situps on the side of a building. Missions include returning activities like random street crimes, of which I only did a few, so I can’t speak to how varied they are this time. Photo ops make a welcomed comeback in which players still capture local landmarks and occasionally humorous social situations to the delight and confusion of their recipient, the Daily Bugle’s Robbie Robertson. 

WWW.VG247.COM

Dropping the last-gen hardware may have seemed harsh on the PS4, but the results of Insomniac’s gamble are clear for al…

I went into Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 thinking it would just be more of the same. That’s not a bad thing – with only 1.5 games in the series to date, developer Insomniac knows that this formula ain’t broke, so there’s no need to fix it. And I was largely right; if you’ve played both Peter’s and Miles’ take on PlayStation Spider-verse, there’s very little here that’s going to shock you. It’s gaming comfort food, a safe summer blockbuster, your favourite band’s familiar encore.

But there are small differences, and they serve to underline the whole experience. The biggest change to the setup of the game is the dual-character setup. Story missions will have scripted moments where you hotswap from Peter to Miles, and the open world segments will allow you to do so on a whim. In action, as you whoosh from one hero to another – like GTA 5 did 10 years ago, but better – you really start to realise that this, finally, is a proper new-gen game.

VARIETY.COM

If the full game lives up to the preview, “Marvel’s Spider-Man 2” is sure to be a serious contender for game of the year.

The preview begins with Peter, clad in his new, black symbiote suit, searching a seemingly empty church for a serum to help Dr. Connors, a.k.a. the monstrous Lizard. “I see a man, but I sense a beast,” new villain Kraven the Hunter snarls from the darkness as he stalks Spider-Man in the rafters. “Why don’t you set it free?”

After the cutscene, players are given free rein in the open world, which nearly doubles the size of the previous games’ New York City maps by expanding to Queens and Brooklyn. Of course, with so much more ground to cover, there are some notable improvements to the web-slinging system. Most impressive is Peter and Miles’ new web wings, which create a flying squirrel-like ability to ride the wind, gliding faster and longer than ever before.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5, 20 October 2023) - Information Thread, update: hands-on previews posted