Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5) - Information Thread, update: New Game+, Audio Descriptions, other new features update releasing on March 7

Pikachu

5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I do think it's interesting that really slick presentation, writing / acting that's generally very good, and super fun traversal trump the fact that the map and activities are basically Assassin's Creed Brotherhood level. It's an oddly "retro" game in a bunch of ways.

Yeah it really is. And I have no problem with that really I’m just not in a place where I wanna do all those activities and spend that much time with the game. But I did chuckle like 15 hours into the game and I’m still unlocking like brand new open world challenges haha it seemed like a parody of open world design at some point. 

1 hour ago, legend said:

Ridding myself of the completionist attitude and need to finish every game I start was hugely liberating and made me enjoy the time I spent in games much more.

Somewhat paradoxically, I don’t have this issue with the “big” AC / open world games anymore. There’s simply too much shit. But in a game where it’s feasible and where getting around is fun, it’s a carrot I find myself chasing.

• True 1
  • Hugs 1

9 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It helps when a game lets you turn off specific map icons so they aren’t tempting you. Then you can just grab them if you see them and not worry about them if you don’t. 

It’s not just the map barf, it’s the content of the side missions. Like a lot of the AC / open world games, once you’ve chased one tattoo design / sea chanty / floaty collectible, you’ve chased them all. Not all the Spidey objectives are that banal; the combat stuff is much better than the combat in AC has ever been, for example. But again, swinging through smoke, snatching birds, or simply just going to a spot and picking up a goodie… there’s a lot of that.

Based on the Spidey 2 reviews I’ve seen, they didn’t JUST add more stuff, there’s refinement and pivots too, which is good! In general I wish that an open world game being more “ambitious” didn’t most often mean “swollen.”

• True 1

Yeah, I just mean it’s easier to ignore all that shit when it’s not on your hud and map. Sometimes I see an overly crowded map full of icons and I just immediately get tired. More a recent thing for me, but it happens. 

weirdly enough I end up wishing open world

games were more linear and just took you around the map by way of story, but didn’t need you to explore every nook and cranny to 100% the game. 

It’s crazy that Insomniac started this gen with Miles, a cross gen game that still looks better on ps5 than most releases this gen and remastered the first Spiderman, and then released two made for current gen games that both push console tech boundaries  while most devs are still working on their first current gen game. They are really good at developing video games.

• True 1

3 hours ago, stepee said:

It’s crazy that Insomniac started this gen with Miles, a cross gen game that still looks better on ps5 than most releases this gen and remastered the first Spiderman, and then released two made for current gen games that both push console tech boundaries  while most devs are still working on their first current gen game. They are really good at developing video games.

Yup, they have multiple teams working efficiently. It's cool to see their release schedule the past decade:

2013: Fuse, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus

2014: Sunset Overdrive

2016: Edge of Nowhere, Ratchet & Clank Remake, Song of the Deep

2018: Marvel's Spider-Man

2019: Stormlands

2020: Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered

2021: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

2023: Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Even stuff like Miles Morales, though a different kind of sequel/spin-off, is a fully featured game; it's just not as long as 2018 Spidey. 

I hope they have another Ratchet or two this gen, though. Rift Apart reminded me that the series is the ultimate comfort food and, incidentally, really fucking good.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Yup, they have multiple teams working efficiently. It's cool to see their release schedule the past decade:

2013: Fuse, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus

2014: Sunset Overdrive

2016: Edge of Nowhere, Ratchet & Clank Remake, Song of the Deep

2018: Marvel's Spider-Man

2019: Stormlands

2020: Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered

2021: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

2023: Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Even stuff like Miles Morales, though a different kind of sequel/spin-off, is a fully featured game; it's just not as long as 2018 Spidey. 

I hope they have another Ratchet or two this gen, though. Rift Apart reminded me that the series is the ultimate comfort food and, incidentally, really fucking good.

Yeah I’d love Rachet to get a trilogy this gen, I don’t want to go longer than 3 years between entries. I bet we get an announcement of a new one next year. 

Edit; And I won’t stand for the Ferrel Rights and Unspoken snub!

18 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Does anyone know if I'll be able to play this at 40fps VRR like the remaster and Miles?

I think that was confirmed awhile ago and you responded to it itt:

On 9/15/2023 at 11:59 AM, SaysWho? said:

On 9/16/2023 at 6:36 AM, Spork3245 said:

I’m hoping that 40fps is the same as fidelity but with VRR like on Miles Morales and the PS5 remaster.

On 9/16/2023 at 1:03 PM, best3444 said:

It will be. :angry-fap-small:

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, stepee said:

DF said 40hz fidelity is the way to go and that’s probably what I will use. I’m going to try the unlocked vrr fidelity first though to see if that isn’t too jarring because I do like extra frames.

Was Ragnarok the last PS5 game you played?

16 hours ago, stepee said:

DF said 40hz fidelity is the way to go and that’s probably what I will use. I’m going to try the unlocked vrr fidelity first though to see if that isn’t too jarring because I do like extra frames.

Are there any concessions made for the 40fps mode or is it 1:1 with the 30fps (besides the framerate :p )?

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Are there any concessions made for the 40fps mode or is it 1:1 with the 30fps (besides the framerate :p )?

It sounded to me like performance mode is toned down in other areas but that 40hz and unlocked fidelity are still the same as the 30fps one with the exception that the lower range of the dynamic res is a little lower in unlocked.

It sounds like it’ll be about the same as the first game as far as length, which is good. You can’t really use “how long to beat this” yet as that’s pulled from user data so right now you are looking at what just three anonymous people who may or may not actually have the game, or understand what +extras means, are saying.

• Thanks 1