Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5) - Information Thread, update: New Game+, Audio Descriptions, other new features update releasing on March 7

Pikachu

Set pieces: good

Punch punch: good

Traversal : much fun

Banter: good 

Visuals: good

Sound the DualSense makes when you bonk a goon’s head against a light fixture during a ledge takedown: chef’s kiss

Not immediately having access to the toon shaded costume from the first game: refund requested 

The positioning of tech swag crates around the city: occasionally hilarious; The Underground had some low swinging nuts to put one on Avengers Tower

Miles and Petey bro grabs: top tier

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm still very early in and it's already giving my current GOTY a run for it's money... it's probably gonna supplant it. Not having played Balder's gate, this game is definitely in my top 5 unless it nose dives bigtime.

So as long as it doesn’t do a Final Fantasy XVI  we good. 

• True 1

Played some more. Good game is very good. 

That said this is probably the buggiest console game I’ve played in a while. The game has crashed twice. I’m pushing a dozen “restart from checkpoint” instances because enemies either clip to where I can’t finish them and/or I finish all the enemies and the next step doesn’t pop; this has happened in side quests and story missions. And I’ve taken pics at three photo op locations where I get the green indicator, Spidey remarks that he got the photo, but I don’t get credit for completion. Swinging away and back doesn’t work, the same remark / no joy happens. I have to reload or restart the game. I had one example where a random crime overlapped with a location based map event and after I cleared all the enemies, I only got credit for the crime event. Restarting the game brought back the map event and I had to redo it. 

But when it’s not derping, it’s very good. 

• True 1

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Questions. 

Are you playing on performance mode?

Did you turn off motion blur and film grain?

I got VRR on smoothed and 120 Hz on. Is that what I should be doing?

Im actually doing the fidelity mode, performance dips a bit low this time for me. Film grain off, motion blur on (i would turn this off at performance, but helps with the feeling of speed at ~40fps)

Vrr and smoothed is one of the two ways I’d choose, you can also do uncapped which is more uneven but has some moments where the fps gets up there and looks so cool.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, stepee said:

Im actually doing the fidelity mode, performance dips a bit low this time for me. Film grain off, motion blur on (i would turn this off at performance, but helps with the feeling of speed at ~40fps)

Vrr and smoothed is one of the two ways I’d choose, you can also do uncapped which is more uneven but has some moments where the fps gets up there and looks so cool.

What exactly is the difference between performance and fidelity modes?

14 hours ago, Biggie said:

What exactly is the difference between performance and fidelity modes?

Watch the video I posted. It shows and answers this very question.

To me the additional RT effects that show up aren't worth playing the game at 30, this game looks amazing at 60.
I think it comes down to preference so if you aren't sensitive to 30 or don't notice it, ignorance is bliss and play fidelity mode. Those of us with eyes go performance or at least fidelity with VRR on (40 fps)

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, Firewithin said:

The sequence when you find

Hide contents

Black cat

Was super fun

Yeah!

It makes me wonder a bit about the state of this world.

No real spoilers for anything plot related but it’s about the hook to the mission that @Firewithin just mentioned so I’ll be cautious.

Spoiler

Obviously The Avengers are a thing; I think Peter joked about them always being out of town in the first game. Funny that Doctor Strange isn’t on the team, since Peter and Miles don’t seem to think magic is real. :p 

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Lower lod for distance, less reflective surfaces, lower resolution, less dense population, probably some other stuff. 

44 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Watch the video I posted. It shows and answers this very question.

To me the additional RT effects that show up aren't worth playing the game at 30, this game looks amazing at 60.
I think it comes down to preference so if you aren't sensitive to 30 or don't notice it, ignorance is bliss and play fidelity mode. Those of us with eyes go performance or t least fidelity with VRR on (40 fps)

Ok thanks. Think I’ll stick with performance. It plays very smooth. And holy crap that opening is awesome. 

The L1+ and R1+ moves really add a lot to the flow of battle. The better you get at it -- in my case, not accidentally trying an R1 move when I was going for L1 -- the more you feel you can handle all the enemy types so far. And I've barely gotten into the skill trees yet.

Which is another thing: I think so far there's a more promising loop with the different things you can upgrade and how you upgrade them. It's also cool when the other Spidey helps you on crime missions.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5, 20 October 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Fidelity vs Performance Mode Comparison - Which Mode Works Best?" (Digital Foundry)
19 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm still very early in and it's already giving my current GOTY a run for it's money... it's probably gonna supplant it. Not having played Balder's gate, this game is definitely in my top 5 unless it nose dives bigtime.

So I've been thinking.

I haven't played most of the great games this year (played RE4 and Zelda, for example, but haven't played SF6, Diablo 4, Octopath Traveler II, Baldur's Gate 3, etc.). But my feeling from most of the more hardcore gamer boards has been that many were looking forward to SM2 but not expecting it to be GOTY-caliber. Mostly a really fun, more refined, improved experience over the first.

But I have to say -- with the caveat that I'm not THAT far into the game -- that the improvements have been exceptional to the overall experience. This may be up there for me as well, and maybe it was a sign that the long-form demo in the State of Play impressed me more than I thought it was going to.

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

So I've been thinking.

I haven't played most of the great games this year (played RE4 and Zelda, for example, but haven't played SF6, Diablo 4, Octopath Traveler II, Baldur's Gate 3, etc.). But my feeling from most of the more hardcore gamer boards has been that many were looking forward to SM2 but not expecting it to be GOTY-caliber. Mostly a really fun, more refined, improved experience over the first.

But I have to say -- with the caveat that I'm not THAT far into the game -- that the improvements have been exceptional to the overall experience. This may be up there for me as well, and maybe it was a sign that the long-form demo in the State of Play impressed me more than I thought it was going to.

The combat feels like the most improved thing to me. Fighting enemies is smooth and very fluid. 

• True 1

Man they really stepped it up with the lighting, I didn’t expect that since it’s doing so much else, though I knew it had some rudimentary form of bounce lighting. Whatever they are doing seems really smartly done and just looks fantastic. Big step up for Sony first party this gen, lighting has been the most lacking thing.

I’m milking the story for as long as I can. It says I'm 23% done and at Level 21 for my characters. Right now I just like playing as Miles and just fucking around and upping the level of my characters and unlocking whatever I can. Plus doing whatever side quests that are about Miles because I think the Peter side quests might be major story instead. I’m getting better but some battles/crime stops are getting HARD. Plus this feels like an upped up version of Arkham City, because I’m gliding everywhere I can. 

• Like 1