Redfall (Xbox Series/PC) - Open World Co-Op Shooter from Arkane, update: Doritos/Mountain Dew/Rockstar Energy Drink cosmetic DLC now available!

Keyser_Soze

43 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Put simply, this title genuinely doesn't appear to have a core audience that it would even come remotely close to satisfying.

I agree.  Arkane tried something new and just missed.  Maybe their previous games never were big successes financially, so they did something they though is more attractive to a larger audience.

I have read that the 2nd half of the game is much better than the first, so maybe it does improve as enemy variety and abilities get more diverse.

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Reviews are right around what Dead Island 2 are getting with a side of Microsoft hate so I'll probably still give it a try.

This comparison really does illustrate the existence of a non-quantitative difference in perception between an aggregate score of 75 for Dead Island 2 -- a game for which expectations were about as low as they could possibly get -- and an aggregate score of 70 (and that's being somewhat generous) for Redfall -- a game from a studio with Arkane's pedigree and ostensibly the financial backing of Betheda/Microsoft.

Never, ever trust a developer who says they designed their game not only as a 4 player co-op experience, but as a single player game with their studio’s dna.

This has happened so many times now, a developer’s pedigree should be thought of as a liability with these pitches.

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

[looks at big games list] OK, Legend of Zelda, Jedi Survivor is on life support, and Redfall is...Redfall, so, its up to you to carry the Spring! :sun:

I suspect Zelda to prove a Switch Pro was planned and abandoned as much as the recent Pokemon did :santasun:

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

[looks at big games list] OK, Legend of Zelda, Jedi Survivor is on life support, and Redfall is...Redfall, so, its up to you to carry the Spring! :sun:

Looking forward to that quite a bit while I wait for a bigger price drop for Octopath Traveler II and then Sonic Origins Plus at physical launch June. Gonna be goooood. :sun: 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Some people who are enjoying the leak to the fullest are already dooming on it. Of course, that crowd disappointment comes from "six years for BOTW DLC" and while I see nothing wrong with that argument, that doesn't mean the game is actually bad.

I played about 2 hours. I enjoyed it. It's completely fine. I never played Farcry 2 but I would say it's like Borderlands or Outriders (but a step above that since it's completely open world). The loot guns are the biggest thing here, but there's a cool variety like UV guns for vampires.

I think in a one on one situation the AI is kind of easy but if the shit hits the fan you will get murdered (and I'm on the middle difficulty)

The weirdest thing IMO is if you stealth kill a person they will instantly collapse. Just looks odd. In any case I'm interested in playing more. :peace:

• Halal 1

9 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Oh, there's no "maybe" about that at all as Arkane hasn't produced a significant  commercial success since the first Dishonored game.

Wasn't deathloop a financial and critical success? It won multiple GotY's. 

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Critical - yes.

Financial - not that I'm aware of.

Ok, I thought it had sold really well on PS5 at the time. 

It's a shame. Prey and Dishonored are incredible, and it's sad this turned out to be so bad. Still going to try it, I love Arkane gameplay, but expecting very little. 

I’ve played a few hours. It feels like a pretty generic open world game. Get a mission, get to the objective marker, kill things there and/or hit X on something to complete the mission, rinse and repeat. Not terrible, but not particularly exciting. 

Played little more this morning and still feel largely the same.  It's a 6.5 game that still can be enjoyable.  I still am enjoying the exploration of the world.  The world design itself is well done.

The combat is the let down, and mainly because the AI is just piss poor.  The only AI script so far is charge straight at you.  It just doesn't work in a shooter.  Need some to get cover, flank, ect.  

It should have been a $40/$50 game, no way this should have been $70.

Just a reminder that games criticism is broken beyond repair and now just exists as hollow marketing.  Most critics don't have the analytical or creative faculties to properly assess video games across all of their dimensions.  And the modern gaming audience likewise doesn't have the ability to read or think about games beyond the score they're given (7, 8, or 9). 

This game has always looked very bad and very disappointing to me, but I also can't take any scores seriously for anything coming out given the state of reviewing games in 2023.

• True 2

The real puzzle to me is how is this game not 60fps. First thing I noticed was that the graphics aren't all that great. It's not some otherwise technical marvel where they can say look at everything else this game is doing adding 60 FPS would be too hard. I'll give it another shot but everything about it felt mid to me. Well it didn't crash, glitch out, or even stutter on me so that's a plus. Covid must have wrecked game development a lot harder than we even thought because it's 2023 and major titles from major publishers that were already delayed are coming out like they still aren't finished. 

Note that Redfall from what I've played was a stable experience, but again I just can't see how they couldn't make it 60FPS. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

The real puzzle to me is how is this game not 60fps. First thing I noticed was that the graphics aren't all that great. It's not some otherwise technical marvel where they can say look at everything else this game is doing adding 60 FPS would be too hard.

Without any real insight, I'm going to venture a guess that the limitation exists in order to accommodate co-op play with the Xbox Series S. 

2 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Just a reminder that games criticism is broken beyond repair and now just exists as hollow marketing.  Most critics don't have the analytical or creative faculties to properly assess video games across all of their dimensions.  And the modern gaming audience likewise doesn't have the ability to read or think about games beyond the score they're given (7, 8, or 9). 

This game has always looked very bad and very disappointing to me, but I also can't take any scores seriously for anything coming out given the state of reviewing games in 2023.

100%

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

100%

I feel like reviews work just like:

Is it this specific type of game? Yes

Does it work properly as this type of game? Yes

Does it have good graphics? Yes

Score: 9/10

Is it this specific type of game? No

Score: 7.5/10

Does it have good graphics? No

Score: 8/10

Does it work properly as this type of game? No

Score: 7.5/10

Does it work properly as this type of game? No

Score: 6/10

Is it this specific type of game? No

Score: 6/10

etc

• True 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

Missions are boring (my last “main” mission was to walk to a garage and get something out of the trunk of a car), enemies are dumb, exploration seems to be discouraged because it looks like missions will take you to every point of interest, some multiple times. It’s buggy as hell, fps drops to a slideshow when action gets intense. So far I haven’t seen any of the great level/encounter design Arkane are known for. It’s a deeply frustrating experience.

And yet, I’ve played for 5 hours today and I will be playing more after dinner. :lol:

• Haha 2

I got a code for this for free with my 4080. Played about 30 minutes of it, then uninstalled. Just painfully generic and uninspired. One of those games where you gotta wonder why no one stood up during development and said "is this thing we're making even any fun?"

9 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

I got a code for this for free with my 4080. Played about 30 minutes of it, then uninstalled. Just painfully generic and uninspired. One of those games where you gotta wonder why no one stood up during development and said "is this thing we're making even any fun?"

That sounds like MS studio management alright!