The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

_125950561_gettyimages-1241969930.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Temperatures could reach record levels in areas of the southwest as a heatwave engulfs much of Europe.

Western France is facing a "heat apocalypse", experts have warned, as extreme temperatures continue to hit much of Europe.

Temperatures could reach record levels in 15 regions of the southwest, with firefighters battling wildfires and thousands forced to evacuate.

Blazes in Spain, Portugal and Greece have forced thousands more to flee.

Record temperatures are also expected in parts of the UK, which has its first ever red extreme heat warning in place.

Wildfires in France in recent days have forced over 24,000 people to flee, with emergency shelters set up for evacuees.

Gironde, a popular tourist region in the southwest, has been hit particularly badly, with firefighters battling to control fires which have destroyed over 14,000 hectares (34,000 acres) of land since last Tuesday.

1500.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Across the state, 264 individual fires are burning and it is on track to break its 2004 record of 6.5m acres destroyed

Across the state, 264 individual fires are burning and it is on track to break its 2004 record of 6.5m acres destroyed

Alaska has seen more than 500 forest fires since the beginning of April, which have forced the evacuation of mining camps, villages and remote cabins.

By 15 June, more than 1m acres (405,000 hectares) in the state had already gone up in flames, about the amount of acres that would normally burn in an entire fire season. By mid-July, more than 3m acres of land had been torched, putting the state at risk of breaking its 2004 record of 6.5m acres (2.6m hectares) burned.

Today 264 individual fires are burning across the state. The East Fork complex, which ignited in western Alaska on 31 May, and the Lime complex fire above Bristol Bay, have already destroyed more than 1m acres. Satellite photos show rust-red scars trailing wisps of smoke in the west and south-west parts of the state, where fires continue to smolder. May and June set records in Alaska for dryness.

_125973023_a1.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

More than 400 firefighters are tackling several fires across the capital as the heatwave continues.

A major incident has been declared due to a surge in fires in London, where temperatures have reached more than 40C for the first time.

More than 400 firefighters are battling at least six blazes which began burning on Tuesday.

A large grass fire in Wennington, east London, has spread to homes and is being tackled by 100 firefighters.

The London Fire Brigade (LFB) says the weather means grassland "will burn quickly".

Fire crews have been sent to:

• Pea Lane in Upminster, east London, where about 175 firefighters have been fighting a grass fire billowing smoke over the M25 motorway
  • Shirley Hills, in Croydon, where about 60 firefighters are tackling a blaze
  • Chapel View in South Croydon, where four fire engines are dealing with a grass fire on about one hectare (2.5 acres) of woodland and undergrowth
  • The Broadway, Wembley, where around 60 firefighters are tackling the fire
  • A restaurant fire on Green Lanes, Southgate, where about 70 firefighters remain at the scene
  • Sunningfields Crescent in Hendon, where six fire engines are tackling a grass fire
  • Ballards Road in Dagenham, where eight fire engines have been sent to tackle a grass fire
  • Euston station has been evacuated after a trackside electrical fire led to the power being switched off.

A large fire is also burning on the Dartford Marshes near the border with Bexley Heath.

I feel bad for people who don't have A/C in these types of scenarios.  I can't even imagine how people could have dealt with living in a place like Phoenix 100+ years ago without air conditioning, yet there is very nice older part of town that probably didn't have any mechanical or evaporative cooling systems when they were originally built. 

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I feel bad for people who don't have A/C in these types of scenarios.  I can't even imagine how people could have dealt with living in a place like Phoenix 100+ years ago without air conditioning, yet there is very nice older part of town that probably didn't have any mechanical or evaporative cooling systems when they were originally built. 

And now imagine instead of Phoenix, it's Washington DC at 40C. The humidity is the scariest part (for places that don't normally get this hot, and don't have AC).

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Probably why public pools used to be a lot more common in our cities.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There’s little that can make you feel more helpless than massive flooding like that. Seeing images like that reminds me of when I was a kid when the Ohio river flooded the low lying areas of my hometown. It sucks!

And this is the second time in two days in St. Louis.