The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

6 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
12129032_flood.jpg?w=1600
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Residents in low-lying cities along the bayshore, San Francisco and Oakland airports, and freeways would be flooded as mega storms dump rain for three to four weeks, not days, as a result of climate...

I’ll be dead by then

checkmate 

• True 2

something something water knife 

7X6WVXA5N4I63HHGNASTXUYYMQ.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

On Tuesday the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation declared for the first time that the Lower Colorado River Basin has reached a point where states will be required to make further reductions in...

• Sicko Sherman 1

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

something something water knife 

7X6WVXA5N4I63HHGNASTXUYYMQ.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

On Tuesday the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation declared for the first time that the Lower Colorado River Basin has reached a point where states will be required to make further reductions in...

Of course, the states that share the river missed a deadline to submit a plan to significantly curtail use of the river:

V2XZWV2IZZLETAULKPEAGFULLA.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Seven U.S. Western states that share Colorado River water are poised to miss a federal deadline for drastic consumption cuts amid a megadrought.

Seven U.S. Western states that share Colorado River water are poised to miss a federal deadline for drastic consumption cuts amid a megadrought.

The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation in June gave the states 60 days, until mid-August, to devise a plan as human-influenced climate change worsens the region's driest 22-year period in at least 1,200 years.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I live 8 min from Downtown but this area doesn't flood much- it's an old ass neighborhood (for here) and seen some shit. My house is 100yr old. 

I'll also add the problem is it's been like 110 all summer and all the soil is dry af, so it's gonna not absorb the water the way it normally would. I have some cracking on my walls from the house moving around with the dry soil, I'll probably have someone come look at the foundation and any changes we need to make to adjust later in a few months. My house doesn't have sprinklers but it's your no 1 weapon against foundation movements- so after those changes I'll have a system installed. 

So no, no issues with the water, but issues because we didn't have any for so long.

4 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'll also add the problem is it's been like 110 all summer and all the soil is dry af, so it's gonna not absorb the water the way it normally would. I have some cracking on my walls from the house moving around with the dry soil, I'll probably have someone come look at the foundation and any changes we need to make to adjust later in a few months. My house doesn't have sprinklers but it's your no 1 weapon against foundation movements- so after those changes I'll have a system installed. 

So no, no issues with the water, but issues because we didn't have any for so long.

At least your blood is good.

16 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I drove into Dallas yesterday afternoon and ran into some of these rain bands in between Dallas and Houston. Not surprised there was flash flooding, they were intense. 

People in large parts of China have been experiencing two months of extreme heat. Hundreds of places have reported temperatures of more than 40°C (104°F), and many records have been broken. Subway stations have set up rest areas where people can recover from the heat.

On 18 August, the temperature in Chongqing in Sichuan province reached 45°C (113°F), the highest ever recorded in China outside the desert-dominated region of Xinjiang. On 20 August, the temperature in the city didn’t fall below 34.9°C (94.8°F), the highest minimum temperature ever recorded in China in August. The maximum temperature was 43.7°C (110.7°F).

It is the longest and hottest heatwave in China since national records began in 1961. According to weather historian Maximiliano Herrera, who monitors extreme temperatures around the world, it is the most severe heatwave recorded anywhere.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:
measuring-dino-tracks_wide-1c4257c16599e
WWW.NPR.ORG

Dinosaur tracks from 113 million years ago were recently uncovered in a Texas state park after drought conditions caused parts of Paluxy River to dry up.

There is something oddly poetic in the fact we are finding the traces of animals long extinct due to causing our own extinction.

Or I am just really high right now and using drugs as a coping mechanism as we burn this world to the ground

_126493450_daa2b674f8fb7b0a15089f95365a9
WWW.BBC.COM

More than 1,130 have died in devastating floods triggered by the heaviest monsoon rains in a decade.

One-third of Pakistan has been completely submerged by historic flooding, its climate minister says.

Devastating flash floods have washed away roads, homes and crops - leaving a trail of deadly havoc across Pakistan.

"It's all one big ocean, there's no dry land to pump the water out," Sherry Rehman said, calling it a "crisis of unimaginable proportions."

At least 1,136 people have died since the monsoon season began in June, according to officials.

The summer rain is the heaviest recorded in a decade and is blamed by the government on climate change.

"Literally, one-third of Pakistan is underwater right now, which has exceeded every boundary, every norm we've seen in the past," Ms Rehman told AFP news agency.

• Shocked 1

5472.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Loss will contribute a minimum rise of 27cm regardless of what climate action is taken, scientists discover

Major sea-level rise from the melting of the Greenland ice cap is now inevitable, scientists have found, even if the fossil fuel burning that is driving the climate crisis were to end overnight.

The research shows the global heating to date will cause an absolute minimum sea-level rise of 27cm (10.6in) from Greenland alone as 110tn tonnes of ice melt. With continued carbon emissions, the melting of other ice caps and thermal expansion of the ocean, a multi-metre sea-level rise appears likely.

Billions of people live in coastal regions, making flooding due to rising sea levels one of the greatest long-term impacts of the climate crisis. If Greenland’s record melt year of 2012 becomes a routine occurrence later this century, as is possible, then the ice cap will deliver a “staggering” 78cm of sea-level rise, the scientists said.

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

Greenland’s rapidly melting ice sheet will eventually raise global sea level by at least 10.6 inches (27 centimeters) -- more than twice as much as previously forecast — according to a study published Monday.

The unavoidable ten inches in the study is more than twice as much sea level rise as scientists had previously expected from the melting of Greenland’s ice sheet. The study in the journal Nature Climate Change said it could reach as much as 30 inches (78 centimeters). By contrast, last year’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report projected a range of 2 to 5 inches (6 to 13 centimeters) for likely sea level rise from Greenland ice melt by the year 2100.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season
854mcin8_pak-beforeafter-floods_625x300_
WWW.NDTV.COM

Tens of millions of people in Pakistan are affected by relentless rains that have submerged a third of the country and claimed more than a thousand lives.

Tens of millions of people in Pakistan are affected by relentless rains that have submerged a third of the country and claimed more than a thousand lives. The rains that began in June have washed away swathes of crops and damaged hundreds of homes and businesses.

Satellite images accessed by NDTV reveal the extent of damage caused by the worst flooding in more than a decade.

• Sad 2