The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

XUH4UTLJRZAQLAFD3E6TIRSQYQ.jpg
WWW.KOLOTV.COM

Churchill County residents are urged to stay inside. People with respiratory problems are urged to take extra caution.

No one right now seems to know what started this, but it is an absolute mess of a fire that start yesterday afternoon. That neither county has the ability to put out. The heatwave, coupled with high shifty winds yesterday has triggered emergency alerts for neighboring cities for a shelter in place due to toxic smoke just a bit ago. Hopefully they will be able to work a containment perimeter with those conditions. 

6 hours ago, osxmatt said:

Power companies all around Oregon are beginning to shut off power for at least 48-72 hours.

e284a9a1-4e7c-45ba-9208-f8a7314262ee_114
WWW.KGW.COM

Utility company Pacific Power announced Thursday that it could initiate public safety power shutoffs for areas of multiple counties Friday and Saturday.

Almost posted this yesterday, myself. Didn't have the power shut off at my home in Portland or at work in Hillsboro, but got warnings about the possibility in both places. 

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I was reliably told that such things are not possible on the western and eastern interconnects, cause you just move the electricity around :silly:

It isn't because of strain on the grid it is to prevent the grid from causing wildfires. Last thing anyone needs is for a line to go down due to winds in they drought areas and set off the tinder waiting for anything to get it going on the ground. California only does this type of thing after it happens...

2 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

It isn't because of strain on the grid it is to prevent the grid from causing wildfires. 

This is literally the point. The complexity of grid management goes way beyond what the electrical engineering experts of the board think.

39 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

It isn't because of strain on the grid it is to prevent the grid from causing wildfires. Last thing anyone needs is for a line to go down due to winds in they drought areas and set off the tinder waiting for anything to get it going on the ground. California only does this type of thing after it happens...

That massive fire in the bay area a few years back with orange skies was caused by PG&E. A lot of Californians lol about TX in the storm but they've got orange polluted skies, highways falling into the ocean, droughts, water rationing that almond farmers get to ignore, Enron, rolling blackouts, and all the same bs

I mean you can shift generation capacity (and it happens all the time) and there are more options for doing so on the large eastern and western interconnects especially compared to Texas (and there are limits on this as well like a loss of voltage over long distances) but that absolutely doesn’t preclude you from cutting off big chunks of the grid or having them cut off for you (read: natural disaster)

On 9/9/2022 at 2:09 PM, Nokra said:

Almost posted this yesterday, myself. Didn't have the power shut off at my home in Portland or at work in Hillsboro, but got warnings about the possibility in both places. 

I have a few friends in the Oregon City and Damascus area. They've been at Level 2 for the past few days, but thankfully no power shutoffs (yet).

• Halal 1

17 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The Texas grid stupidity is so they can skirt regulations which they did and because they did so their grid nearly totally collapsed during a cold snap that could have killed a very large number of people, being part of the national grid would have also helped to a degree.

Yeah, but that was because the windmills froze!

So it looks like Gaston likely won't impact any US territory.

This tropical system in the Caribbean, on the other hand...

AGN2BU53CRFG7KUVMN7ESU3UB4.jpg
WWW.ORLANDOSENTINEL.COM

As Hurricane Fiona exits the Caribbean, island residents and Floridians now turn their attention to a new tropical threat.

I'm seeing models that suggest it could inpact somewhere in the Gulf Coast this time next week.

• Halal 1

12 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

So it looks like Gaston likely won't impact any US territory.

This tropical system in the Caribbean, on the other hand...

AGN2BU53CRFG7KUVMN7ESU3UB4.jpg
WWW.ORLANDOSENTINEL.COM

As Hurricane Fiona exits the Caribbean, island residents and Floridians now turn their attention to a new tropical threat.

I'm seeing models that suggest it could inpact somewhere in the Gulf Coast this time next week.

Fiona is going to hit the Canadian Maritimes and it's going to be bad. Expecting 72 hours without power and a bunch of other stuff.

49 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fiona is going to hit the Canadian Maritimes and it's going to be bad. Expecting 72 hours without power and a bunch of other stuff.

I better text my buddy in P.E.I. and see how/what they’re doing. I worry because he has a bunch of greenhouses for his flowering/shrubs business. (actual flowers, not “my” type of flowers) Although he said they have survived some bad snow storms out there and had a few times where the snow drifted and covered his buildings.