The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

15af65f0-eccd-11ec-beea-ac0a6f721b3d
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

The Colorado River's reservoirs have diminished to the point that significant cuts to the water supplied to the seven states that rely on it will be necessary next year, a federal official warned Tuesday.

The Colorado River’s reservoirs have diminished to the point that significant cuts to the water supplied to the seven states that rely on it will be necessary next year, a federal official warned Tuesday.

28 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I have to wonder what crops are being watered with this water in addition to the water for people to drink and use

Alfalfa to send to Chinese cows. That's what the vast majority of Utah's water goes towards. Oh and it's like 2% of the State's GDP. Our governor was an alfalfa farmer. I'm sure this problem will be rectified soon.

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Alfalfa to send to Chinese cows. That's what the vast majority of Utah's water goes towards. Oh and it's like 2% of the State's GDP. Our governor was an alfalfa farmer. I'm sure this problem will be rectified soon.

That all seems above the board and good

On 6/8/2022 at 1:28 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This would probably be the largest engineering feat of all time. Just to match existing evaporation you’d need to add 2.9 million acre feet of water per year. That’s 3.6 trillion cubic meters, or about 150 cubic meters per second to simply match evaporation (this is all per a quick google search or ten). If we used one large tube it would have to have a diameter of 14 meters for this volume. I didn’t consider what is coming into the lake from current natural sources but I don’t care.  

You’d need over 130 four foot diameter pipelines (slightly smaller in diameter than what I could find as the widest oil pipeline). You’d have a minimum distance of over 800 miles per pipeline to travel so these things would be everywhere. The energy input required would be absolutely enormous to overcome the losses due to the sheer length of the lines. 

but on the plus side if you’re doing this you might as well desalinate water for the entire west and Mexico as that would be a tiny fraction of the total volume of water needed for this. It has the added benefit of helping make the water entering the great salt lake the appropriate salinity as it is saltier on average than the ocean, also giving you a place to safely put the brackish waste water making the desalination process less environmentally destructive. 

At $500/linear foot of material cost (made up number but who cares) it would be only $350billion for the pipe materials not for install or pumps or anything else. 

it’s needlessly dumb, costly, and insanely large. I LOVE IT. 

A dichotomy in one tweet.

Not nearly as much water as @b_m_b_m_b_m needs, but also exactly what his bust would look like if his Salt Lake project was completed.

U.S. Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm expressed interest in potentially lifting smog-fighting gasoline rulesto fight high pump prices and backed off a plan to ban fuel exports during a wide-ranging meeting with refiners, two industry sources said on Thursday.

VZXBKGBRZVPYDJWQFDXNIDB6XA.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

U.S. Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm expressed interest in potentially lifting smog-fighting gasoline rulesto fight high pump prices and backed off a plan to ban fuel exports during a wide-ranging meeting with refiners, two industry sources said on Thursday.

• Guillotine 4

• 2 weeks later...