The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

On the bright side, California has been almost completely out of drought status (just a few "abnormal dryness" areas far inland) for pretty much the first time in my life, and for a protracted period of time! The water knife shall be ours! Or whatever that story was about.

22 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

On the bright side, California has been almost completely out of drought status (just a few "abnormal dryness" areas far inland) for pretty much the first time in my life, and for a protracted period of time! The water knife shall be ours! Or whatever that story was about.

So many almonds can be made now

• Haha 1

So far this has been the winter that wasn't in Upstate NY, 60 degrees and a thunderstorm today, and like only 1 night has reached single digits, and the Forcast for the next 10 days has every high above 30 degrees, wouldn't be surprised if this is our warmest winter on record. 

I'm sure we'll get at least one freak April snow system which seems to happen no matter what, but looking at the forecast right now, it seems like winter in Chicago is effectively over already. A couple of days in the 60s coming up. Except for one stretch of polar vortex weather, this is the least-wintery winter I can remember in my life.

3 hours ago, Jason said:
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Land is slumping into the ocean, compounding the dangers from sea level rise. A major culprit: overpumping of groundwater.

I know that the US Navy is VERY concerned about the future of its installations in the Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia for this very reason.

Yeah nothing like a good intense February T-Storm to wake you up at 2am, like me here S. Ontario. Man they were downpours a long loud rolling thunder. I don’t think I summer storms that were as loud as this one. Think we have another round or 2 coming, before it flash freezes. Only for one day and back into double digits the day after. 

WWW.BRIDGEMI.COM

Lost winters like 2024 may soon be the norm. That threatens so much of what makes Michigan unique, from ice fishing and snowmobiling to cross-country skiing and just...

Michigan is considered to be one of those regions that is relatively insulated from the worst effects of climate change and yet it’s already ruining the economies of northern, tourism based towns and cities. Without snow, there is practically zero reason to ever set foot in a place like Gaylord, MI. The Upper Peninsula has already been emptying out for decades. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Uaarkson said:
WWW.BRIDGEMI.COM

Lost winters like 2024 may soon be the norm. That threatens so much of what makes Michigan unique, from ice fishing and snowmobiling to cross-country skiing and just...

Michigan is considered to be one of those regions that is relatively insulated from the worst effects of climate change and yet it’s already ruining the economies of northern, tourism based towns and cities. Without snow, there is practically zero reason to ever set foot in a place like Gaylord, MI. The Upper Peninsula has already been emptying out for decades. 

Yes well when us coastal elites have to flee inland we will bring our money with us so in a few generations you’ll be set.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Yes well when us coastal elites have to flee inland we will bring our money with us so in a few generations you’ll be set.

I’ve been telling people for a few years to buy up property and land in MI and WI for their grandchildren 

5 minutes ago, Comet said:

I’ve been telling people for a few years to buy up property and land in MI and WI for their grandchildren 

It’s not a bad idea honestly even with rates like they are now. 

I’ll eventually buy some tax base place in a no income tax state so my pension gets left alone then leave this failed state. 

On 2/28/2024 at 7:45 AM, Uaarkson said:

We had a tornado here in the Flint area. Sirens were going off for like an hour straight in the middle of the night.

Tuesday night/Wednesday morning Ohio had 8 tornadoes.  It was a rough storm, I slept through all of it.  If a tornado comes for me in the night I will be dead.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...