The Whole Goddamned Planet is getting ready for a fucking monster fire/flood/hurricane/typhoon/drought season

I'm legitimately excited for the next climate summit (I think it's November?).

The whole problem with the pre-Inflation Reduction Act world was that the U.S. didn't have a big accomplishment to tout when asking other countries to pick up their efforts in combatting climate change. Now, they do. I was looking at ResetEra, and an Aussie member was talking about how they're getting a climate bill through and one of the biggest arguments against it was that the world's biggest polluters haven't done much. With the U.S. being one of those countries which is set to fully pass its climate bill, and with China potentially overachieving its targets, it's a much easier sell now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/9/2022 at 7:50 AM, SaysWho? said:

I'm legitimately excited for the next climate summit (I think it's November?).

The whole problem with the pre-Inflation Reduction Act world was that the U.S. didn't have a big accomplishment to tout when asking other countries to pick up their efforts in combatting climate change. Now, they do. I was looking at ResetEra, and an Aussie member was talking about how they're getting a climate bill through and one of the biggest arguments against it was that the world's biggest polluters haven't done much. With the U.S. being one of those countries which is set to fully pass its climate bill, and with China potentially overachieving its targets, it's a much easier sell now.

It does feel like Climate Change has been globally acknowledged after years of denial and real action has started to happen.  Unfortunately it took devastating fires, floods, and droughts to move the needle. There is still a lot to do, but this past few months have provided some hope.

I look forward to using all available credits to add solar to my house, purchase a EV, and replace my HVAC with a heat pump. 

The Rhine's water level fell to a new low today:

5039.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Water levels fall to below 40cm on parts of key route for transporting fuel, wheat and other commodities

The levels of the Rhine River fell to a new low on Friday due to the ongoing drought in Germany and elsewhere in Europe, further restricting the distribution of coal, petrol, wheat and other commodities amid a looming energy crisis.

The water level at Kaub near Frankfurt – a key waypoint where the fairway is shallower than elsewhere on the river – was forecast to fall below 40cm on Friday afternoon, the level at which it is no longer economical for many barges to transit the river.

According to a daily bulletin by Germany’s Federal Waterways and Shipping Administration, water levels on the key waterway were at an unusually low level for this point in the year, and was estimated to drop by a further 10-15cm over the coming three or four days.

While 14-day weather forecasts predict rising water levels from the middle of next week, the administration said this was unlikely to have a significant impact.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Rhine's water level fell to a new low today:

5039.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Water levels fall to below 40cm on parts of key route for transporting fuel, wheat and other commodities

haha get fucked Germany 

WWW.BLOOMBERG.COM

They predict that in three decades, more than 100 million Americans will live in an "extreme heat belt" where at least one day a year, the heat index will exceed 125° Fahrenheit (52° Celsius) — the top level of the National Weather Service's heat index, or the extreme danger level. (The index combines temperature and humidity to arrive at how it feels when you go outside.)

unQtbCG.png

rOM6LiA.png

RIP gulf coast, with 40+ additional days per year above 100F.

NBC News version:

220812-texas-heat-se-431p-51f564.jpg
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

A new report uses hyperlocal data and climate projections to show that cities as far north as Chicago could have many more days of extreme heat each year.

The most pronounced shift was found in Miami-Dade County, Porter said, where the area's seven hottest days, with heat index temperatures at 103 degrees, are projected to increase to 34 days at that temperature in 30 years.

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

Yay Bay Area!

12129032_flood.jpg?w=1600
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Residents in low-lying cities along the bayshore, San Francisco and Oakland airports, and freeways would be flooded as mega storms dump rain for three to four weeks, not days, as a result of climate...

• Like 1