Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

9 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I can appreciate people liking Fallout 4 and Skyrim and thinking they're good. But I categorically refuse to accept that anyone thought that the radiant quest system in either was good, and based on that I think it's reasonable to believe that whatever padding Bethesda has to do to fill out "1,000+ planets" is unlikely to be good.

Again there's also the notion that "1,000+ planets" and whatever other stuff Todd says on the campaign trail is likely... not completely honest.

100% true! Personally I know what I'm likely to get here and I'm happy with that! The Vanilla game will be Skyrim in space + more customization/ crafting systems + Some ideas from No Man's Sky. BUT what I'm really excited for is this same game a few years down the line! The moders will go super mario galaxy nuts, using many of the more barren planets! Yes sir, the game of the year, special anniversary edtion will be a genuine spectacle of possibilities! Things off the top of my head I expect to see:

* Aliens planet LV-426

* Every major star wars planet and a fork ton of light sabers + Death Star

* The monolith

* BSG

* So much Star Trek stuff (let's boarda Borge cube!)

* An homage to the last star fighter (death blossum animation?) 

* Foundation

* HAL 9000 ship

* Something ET

* Independance day alien ship

* Predator home world/Predator ship

* Star Ship troopers bug planet

* Arrakis

* Event Horizon ship

* Doctor Who's TARDIS

Unfortunately one thing that never got modded into Skyrim was good combat or quality animations, even with total overhauls. Really hope that changes this time around. It doesn't matter how cool your mod is if I still have to fuckin' using Skyrim combat.

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Unfortunately one thing that never got modded into Skyrim was good combat or quality animations, even with total overhauls. Really hope that changes this time around. It doesn't matter how cool your mod is if I still have to fuckin' using Skyrim combat.

I wouldn't hold my breath for those things! :lol:

13 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It isn't, at all. The distinction between a console and PC is pretty clear. One is a closed platform with gatekeeping by the platform creator, and the other is open and has nearly unlimited uses. It really seems like YOU are the only person having a hard time differentiating between them :p 

In terms of practical gaming that hardly matters is my point. I understand the distinctions, obviously, I just think it doesn't really matter when it comes to "exclusivity" specifically is all. If we're talking performance and other things, it does, but not exclusivity. The ultimate point I was agreeing with others on was that the term "console exclusive" is untrue and misleading unless you want to make distinctions between console and PC that doesn't stop the game from being on both but then I'm not sure what we're talking about when we use the word "exclusive" in such a context.

Either way I'll let this go so as not to continue to derail the Starfield thread on a minor detail. :p 

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2023 at 6:53 AM, Mr.Vic20 said:

100% true! Personally I know what I'm likely to get here and I'm happy with that! The Vanilla game will be Skyrim in space + more customization/ crafting systems + Some ideas from No Man's Sky. BUT what I'm really excited for is this same game a few years down the line! The moders will go super mario galaxy nuts, using many of the more barren planets! Yes sir, the game of the year, special anniversary edtion will be a genuine spectacle of possibilities! Things off the top of my head I expect to see:

* Aliens planet LV-426

* Every major star wars planet and a fork ton of light sabers + Death Star

* The monolith

* BSG

* So much Star Trek stuff (let's boarda Borge cube!)

* An homage to the last star fighter (death blossum animation?) 

* Foundation

* HAL 9000 ship

* Something ET

* Independance day alien ship

* Predator home world/Predator ship

* Star Ship troopers bug planet

* Arrakis

* Event Horizon ship

* Doctor Who's TARDIS

I do wonder how many homages Bethesda will put in the game themselves that modders would just need to alter a bit to make it an actual reproduction. 

• True 1

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
ugNWVHepXMxUqpd-1600x900-noPad.jpg?16868
WWW.CHANGE.ORG

For over a decade Bethesda games have been released on PlayStation. They perform better on PlayStation, run better, and sell better. Xbox and specially Phill Spencer have NO...

This is hilarious! 😂

Is that petition satire or the result of a psychotic break? 

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Is that petition satire or the result of a psychotic break? 

Impossible to tell with fanboys. Kind of amazed any still exist, but I do see the flames of the console wars in the replies to literally every tweet about either console so there's some grown ass people out there, Satan bless them, that have not given up. 

• True 1

I've played about 20 hours of Fallout 3 and 20 hours of Skyrim, and that's it for Bethesda RPGs. I like the idea of them, but just get bored with the execution. And honestly, those games would be better off without any combat. I think I'd rather just explore and do menial tasks rather than deal with a half-assed combat system. Starfield looks different though, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

The matter is simple. If it releases on Xbox, its a bad game. Go look at Redfall or Halo Infinite as examples. If it releases on PlayStation, theres a 90% chance that its a good game. Theres no other way around it. Anyone who says otherwise is deceiving you and is the reason the gaming industry has such low standards today. Unless you want to see Starfield fail, YOU NEED to have it on PlayStation. 

Signing this petition is just the start. We need to go out and protest at GameStops and Walmarts on Starfields release date. We need to submit legislation to our local representatives to FORCE Microsoft to comply. We need to go out in mass and stop people from buying copies in launch date. Even better go online and report every video you see praising Starfield until we make it exclusive for us and ONLY us. Youtubers like MrMattyplaysbadgames, ReviewFatUSA, LemonJuice, FritangaComplains, and TheYoungTurds need to all be canceled IMMEDIATELY. If you're a true gamer you will support this and sign. I dont need trolls coming here to complain that we actually care about gaming and I dont care how many of you come to insult me. Cry, cope, seethe, and mald Xbots but my points are VALID AND TRUE. 

This is clearly satire.

I finally got around to watching the showcase. I had distant interest in Starfield but after watching that I'm hyped. Can't remember the last time I was truly hyped for a game. I will say, though, that the gunplay looks very Bathesda-y and not satisfying IMO. It's lacking something I can't quite put my finger on--some combination of sound, look, and impact on the other end--but everything else looks awesome.

starfield-fishing-bethesda-rpg-game-todd
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Starfield has it all, from a huge open world to character customization and myriad quests, but the Bethesda RPG is missing a key feature, Todd Howard confirms.

But we can now confirm that, as per Todd himself, Starfield has no fishing.

R.I.P. Starfield :rose:

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

On 6/23/2023 at 5:08 PM, Biggie said:

I read where only 10% of planets will have life on them. 

seems more than enough. I thought 1000 planets sounded dumb. It makes sense most of them would be lifeless rocks. By all estimates the Galaxy is far less populated with life than even 10%. 

Truth be told I was hoping the number of worlds with life would be rather low by comparison to the total number. 100 still seems rather high without flora and fauna looking unnaturally too similar to each other. Maybe some planets were terraformed, which would explain similar to identical life. 

• Halal 1

I think I said it before in this thread, but I’m guessing it’s going to be like Mass Effect - most planets are filler/only for resources, some are for quick side mission things, and the majority of meaningful story content will take place on just a handful of planets. 

• Halal 1