~* The official thread of stonks, tendies, safe, sound and very real professional financial advice *~

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

What's the best way to get in to (non physical) silver?

SLV. They buy physical silver to back it up. 

Otherwise you are betting on mining companies. 

I avoid any etfs that trade in silver futures. 

Edit: None of this is investment advice. My actual advice is boring indexing funds. 

52 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

SLV. They buy physical silver to back it up. 

Otherwise you are betting on mining companies. 

I avoid any etfs that trade in silver futures. 

Edit: None of this is investment advice. My actual advice is boring indexing funds. 

My boring index funds grew by 12% this year and 20% the year before (not including contributions). Day trading can be fun, but steady contributions to tax-sheltered index funds are the simplest and easiest way to accumulate retirement savings.

It helps that my employer matches 100% up to 7.5% of my salary, and I am very lucky for it.

1 minute ago, Brick said:

So what exactly is the plan? Hold until Friday, and then sell all at once before the market closes at the end of the day? 

I may understand next to nothing, but I though the plan was to hold until the hedge fund has buy back the stocks at the higher price, which will kill them, and increase the value of the stocks even more, then you sell. 

you make money and the hedge fund was forced to buy billions in a stock that immediately tanked. 

but again, I understand almost nothing when it comes to the markets. 

8 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I may understand next to nothing, but I though the plan was to hold until the hedge fund has buy back the stocks at the higher price, which will kill them, and increase the value of the stocks even more, then you sell. 

you make money and the hedge fund was forced to buy billions in a stock that immediately tanked. 

but again, I understand almost nothing when it comes to the markets. 

Yes, this 

2 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I understand literally none of this, but the first one of your fuckers that makes a million off of this had better buy me a sandwich or something.

Old Man Good Job GIF

3 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I guess no place is accepting new accounts? lol

Chase hasn't been letting me sign up for a brokerage account. Probably for the best, I have spare money I can afford to invest but maybe I should wait until a more responsible time.

Buy orders are available again on Robinhood. Reminder, if you place an order now it won't fill until 930am at market open. But early trading starts at 9am at which time you can place and fill orders.

Also looks like you can only buy full shares, which I suspected would be the case.

8 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Buy orders are available again on Robinhood.

Reminder, if you place an order now it won't fill until 930am at market open. But early trading starts at 9am at which time you can place and fill orders.

It's also probably a good idea to do any transactions as limit orders even if you're doing things live, with how absurdly volatile this is you don't want to do market orders and then have the order execute for a hugely different number than you were expecting.

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

How do you even buy DOGE?

I know Robinhood has it, if you're still willing to fuck around with them. You can also buy it on exchanges like Kraken. But I'm sitting on a bunch that I mined back in 2014 back when mining it was still possible, so I'm just waiting for it to get close to a dollar and then I'll move everything over to Kraken and sell. I held off when dogecoin hit $0.018 a couple of years ago because it was a cool bit of cash but not an amount I needed...very glad I HODLed now. :p

Just now, sblfilms said:

Gotta buy something else, like BTC, then trade that for the DOGE.

Robinhood has direct USD/DOGE transactions but LOL Robinhood. You can also buy it directly with USD via Kraken but getting verified can be a pain and moving USD in is...interesting.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I know Robinhood has it, if you're still willing to fuck around with them. You can also buy it on exchanges like Kraken. But I'm sitting on a bunch that I mined back in 2014 back when mining it was still possible, so I'm just waiting for it to get close to a dollar and then I'll move everything over to Kraken and sell. I held off when dogecoin hit $0.018 a couple of years ago because it was a cool bit of cash but not an amount I needed...very glad I HODLed now. :p

I wish I sold my Mintcoins for Dodge.  I mined them when I wanted to try mining as the premise seemed interesting and the coin has dipped to shit value.  I have 2.5 million of the damn coins. 

3 minutes ago, vaxick said:

I wish I sold my Mintcoins for Dodge.  I mined them when I wanted to try mining as the premise seemed interesting and the coin has dipped to shit value.  I have 2.5 million of the damn coins. 

2.5 million DOGE? If so I'd seriously start considering selling off in bits and pieces on the way up in case it turns back down, I only have 70k DOGE so I need it to hit a big number like $1, maybe 50¢, before I sell. 

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

2.5 million DOGE? If so I'd seriously start considering selling off in bits and pieces on the way up in case it turns back down, I only have 70k DOGE so I need it to hit a big number like $1, maybe 50¢, before I sell. 

2.5 million Mintcoins.  It's worth less than $100 (Edit: $164 today).  Was worth around $500 for a long time, but I just kinda forgot about it and just checked it when I remembered I had it on a USB drive.  If it ever jumps up again, I'll probably sell it all.