The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

9 minutes ago, Link200 said:

Not at all. You arguably need it more than me. I am rocking a 2080 Super. Not exactly a slouch of a card.

I would like to have a 3080 by Cyberpunk though. I think it is doable.

Yeah, if I'd had a 20 series card, I might have just waited until the demand stabilized but I'm upgrading from a standard 1080.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rev said:

Yeah, if I'd had a 20 series card, I might have just waited until the demand stabilized but I'm upgrading from a standard 1080.

Yup, My 2080 Super will do just fine but I can see its limitations.

I am not gaming at 4k but I do use an ultra-wide monitor so it needs to push more pixels than 1440p.  3440x1440 still keeps RDR2 in the mid 50 FPS range with some settings cranked up and others at medium.

12 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

At 4k/maxed settings? I dunno as I don't follow 1080 Ti benchmarks, but another issue is that my card was starting to really struggle with hitting my set thermal limits (84c) which was also causing performance drops. Typically only under very heavy loads, as now that my wife is using it to play FFXIV at 1080p she's getting like 5x the performance of whatever old AMD GPU she had in her machine.

4K_Doom.png

doom-eternal-3840-2160.png

I don't have personal experience with the game, and I can definitely agree that even at 1440p I'm not satisfied with performance of my 1080 Ti in all of my games (I like to have minimum 100 fps and not all games can do that), but when looking at reviews it's still an impressive card after all these years.

Sounds like your thermal paste might have deteriorated if it's going above 84 C, probably causing it to massively reduce clockspeeds.  I don't think I've ever had my card hit 80 C, and as far as I know only the Founders Edition has a shitty enough cooler on it to go above 80 C.

14 minutes ago, Rev said:

I built a new rig for this so I'm upgrading from integrated graphics which is why I'm so impatient.

It's like giving a kid a present on Christmas morning but telling him he can't touch until 3-8 weeks later. 

12 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

I built a new rig for this so I'm upgrading from integrated graphics which is why I'm so impatient.

It's like giving a kid a present on Christmas morning but telling him he can't touch until 3-8 weeks later. 

Yeah, lol. My situation is similar. I built a new pc like almost a year ago in preparation for what I thought would be a much earlier release of the 30 series cards. I put my 1080 in it as a placeholder because I didn't want to buy a 20 series card so close to the 30. So, really, this is like me finally getting to play the PC I bought and built months ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

4K_Doom.png

doom-eternal-3840-2160.png

I don't have personal experience with the game, and I can definitely agree that even at 1440p I'm not satisfied with performance of my 1080 Ti in all of my games (I like to have minimum 100 fps and not all games can do that), but when looking at reviews it's still an impressive card after all these years.

Sounds like your thermal paste might have deteriorated if it's going above 84 C, probably causing it to massively reduce clockspeeds.  I don't think I've ever had my card hit 80 C, and as far as I know only the Founders Edition has a shitty enough cooler on it to go above 80 C.

I had already changed my thermal paste, which had indeed gotten crusty. Helped a little bit, but not much. Also those benchmarks show wildly different performance for the 1080 Ti, weird. One's 70 FPS, and one's damn near 100.

And yeah, it's still an amazing card, but gen 2 RTX is something to behold!

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Everyone seems to have gotten one now but me :( 

:cry: 

Download the Newegg app (assuming you have an iphone or ios device) and set up your apple pay so the defaults are all correct. Then just search for 3080 and refresh that screen at various points throughout the day (but mostly on the hour every hour). It will sort in-stock items toward the top. Once you see an item, tap it, then immediately tap apple pay (you don't have to add to cart) then immediately press your sleep button twice to confirm. This is the best trick I've seen so far. Most people get hung up in the checkout process because it's so long but Apple pay lets you cheat. 

34 minutes ago, Rev said:

Download the Newegg app (assuming you have an iphone or ios device) and set up your apple pay so the defaults are all correct. Then just search for 3080 and refresh that screen at various points throughout the day (but mostly on the hour every hour). It will sort in-stock items toward the top. Once you see an item, tap it, then immediately tap apple pay (you don't have to add to cart) then immediately press your sleep button twice to confirm. This is the best trick I've seen so far. Most people get hung up in the checkout process because it's so long but Apple pay lets you cheat. 

Oh yeah, also this, this is what got me through as well.

I got Control Ultimate for $30 on cdkeys and decided to check it out early since I got a year of geforce now with the 3080. Geforce now doesn’t support ios though and I wanted to play in my phone so I set up geforce now on my cloud shadow pc which does have an iphone app and ran it that way with my iphone connected to my razer kishi.

I set it to maxed out including the rtx stuff running at 1080p dlss with a base of 720p and then end result of the image going through two layers of streaming and an AI produced image reconstruction was still so sharp looking on the iphone screen.

There is so much weird shit going on at once to make that happen but the end result was just portable Control maxed out! Game looks amazing (both as a game and tech wise) and can’t wait to see it 4k/60/hdr on my tv this week. :O

9 hours ago, Ominous said:

Looks like my Microcenter has 3080s in stock, but you can't order online for local pickup :( 

They aren't allowing online pick ups. I'd call to make sure they still have and go for it.

My present stance is if I find a 3080 I am jumping on it however if I don't find one once we have RDNA2 info I may just try for that.

just as an FYI for anyone thinking of going to Micro Center, they've been getting between 1-10 cards every few days (with smaller stores getting less). It almost always comes in on their fedex or UPS shipments which usually happen during business hours. You basically need to be lined up outside before the store opens or just be extremely lucky and get there when the shipment randomly comes in.

I've spent more time than I care to admit trying to secure one via Micro Center. Hopefully tomorrow is the day.

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

Eww why ?

Apple pay is the fastest check out option for newegg. Alot of people have gotten their cards by using the newegg app and apple pay. You are pre-registered so you just tap on pay with Apple pay. Tap again to conform and the order is submitted. 

6 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Apple pay is the fastest check out option for newegg. Alot of people have gotten their cards by using the newegg app and apple pay. You are pre-registered so you just tap on pay with Apple pay. Tap again to conform and the order is submitted. 

Yea but you don’t need the Apple Card to do Apple Pay do you ?

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

So, I tried that page monitor extension for Chrome, set it up for Amazon’s 3080 page, and it just dings every 5-15 seconds with no actual changes occurring on Amazon, even tried setting it up directly for the EVGA card I want, same thing. :/ 

You have to set it up to monitor only the out of stock button or text, you also have to use adblock or ads with give you false reports. It 100% works, it's the only way I was able to grab a 3080, a switch, and a PS4 at launch.

You can try to use distil.io instead it does the exact same thing, the interface is a little less clunky but you also have less options.

Final thing is don't set the refresh lower than 20 seconds on anything but amazon or you'll get flagged and have to enter like a captcha or something which will send up another false report. Amazon doesn't monitor traffic though so wail away.

19 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

You have to set it up to monitor only the out of stock button or text, you also have to use adblock or ads with give you false reports. It 100% works, it's the only way I was able to grab a 3080, a switch, and a PS4 at launch.

You can try to use distil.io instead it does the exact same thing, the interface is a little less clunky but you also have less options.

Final thing is don't set the refresh lower than 20 seconds on anything but amazon or you'll get flagged and have to enter like a captcha or something which will send up another false report. Amazon doesn't monitor traffic though so wail away.

How do I set it to just monitor the out-of-stock button?