The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

Just now, Link200 said:

I think that was due to a completely different issue. They were prioritizing essential goods due to Covid and delaying others.

But the point stands that they probably don't know for sure when more inventory is coming in, which would mean they're just giving worst-case estimates right now.

w1h488OUD9f2o2bv.jpg
WWW.TECHPOWERUP.COM

Igor's Lab has posted an interesting investigative article where he advances a possible reason for the recent crash to desktop problems for RTX 3080 owners. For one, Igor mentions how the launch timings were much tighter than usual, with NVIDIA AIB partners having much less time than would be adequa...

Under-volting due to shit capacitor design from some AIB (3rd party manufactures) being cheap could be an issue :| 

FYI - I'm guessing this is primarily the ZOTAC card which I posted about earlier in this thread. It's undervolted to where the boost clock isn't typically hitting where it's supposed to and is causing 1-3% lower performance compared to the FE, as well as god-awful OC results. If this is true, and the under-volt isn't simply due to the "silicon lottery" and ZOTAC actually changed the capacitor design from the reference board to save a few bucks, they are about to be in a world of shit.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

FYI - I'm guessing this is primarily the ZOTAC card which I posted about earlier in this thread. It's undervolted to where the boost clock isn't typically hitting where it's supposed to and is causing 1-3% lower performance compared to the FE, as well as god-awful OC results. If this is true, and the under-volt isn't simply due to the "silicon lottery" and ZOTAC actually changed the capacitor design from the reference board to save a few bucks, they are about to be in a world of shit.

As I think about it (a minute after posting!), if this is what occurred, nVidia should drop ZOTAC as an AIB completely.

I prefer nvidia, EVGA, and gigabyte if I have a choice. Zotac is the only one I wouldn't touch, have heard nothing but bad things also this is really petty but the name just sounds dumb.

I can't believe the 3090 demand even after reviewers trashed it for the awful marketing and price:performance ratio. It obviously makes sense for some people especially if you use it for work but 200+ people lining up for it is ludicrous, the pandemic has made people quite unreasonable. 

16 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

As I think about it (a minute after posting!), if this is what occurred, nVidia should drop ZOTAC as an AIB completely.

I was going to post something last week, a Zotec rep on Reddit said they purposely made the Trinity model underperform so their other boards look better. Now I am paraphrasing of course.

Overclocking my Zotac now.  It becomes unstable somewhere between +50MHz and +75MHZ for a whopping .9% increase in performance.  :lol:  I think undervolting is going to be the way to go. 

Also I only went with this card because it was the only one I could get.  I plan to return it to Amazon before Oct. 29th. 

2 hours ago, Puggles said:

I think undervolting is going to be the way to go. 

Do you mean underclocking? The under-volting from Zotac is causing crashes even at stock speeds for some people. Zotac really f’d up by messing with the capacitors. No clue what they were thinking.

Also I only went with this card because it was the only one I could get.  I plan to return it to Amazon before Oct. 29th. 

Unless Zotac does some type of awesome “we’re sorry” compensation, that’s definitely the best move :p 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Happily I've ordered an MSI RTX Trio X with two of the higher quality Caps banks. Granted I won't likely see mine until the middle of November, but one problem at a time, right? 

Yup, looks like Gigabyte, Zotac, Igame cheaped out and could cause problems.

Asus, nVidia, and MSI went above and beyond and should be good to OC. EVGA went to spec and shouldn't crash but might become unstable when OCing.

19 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Everyone throw your piece of shit, broken-ass 3080s in the goddamn trash its BIG NAVI TIME!

Seriously, if AMD could actually deliver on a GPU for the first time in years, this is their moment 

19 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Yup, looks like Gigabyte, Zotac, Igame cheaped out and could cause problems.

Asus, nVidia, and MSI went above and beyond and should be good to OC. EVGA went to spec and shouldn't crash but might become unstable when OCing.

I think the FTW EVGA cards use better capacitors than the XC3 ones, could be mistaken. I know that’s the case for ASUS with their TUF brand vs their base ones.

1 minute ago, thedarkstark said:

Welp, Newegg just fucked me. EVGA FTW back in stock I was all over it, added to cart, went to checkout and it told me password was incorrect and it wouldn't let me checkout as guest. A bunch of people are posting their order confirmations.

They got me too. Why do they let you save a CC and yet require the full number every time? They said my card wasn't valid. Apparently messed up one number.