Shut down Social Media (except D1P, naturally), update: Facebook to shut down its facial recognition program

The unfortunate reality is that WhatsApp is effectively the primary form of communication in large swathes of the developing world, especially for businesses.

An extended period of downtime for WhatsApp could potentially have significant economic ramifications in nations and societies that could least afford to have that happen.

The decoupling of WhatsApp from Facebook is absolutely essential.

And not just businesses.

In the Philippines, Facebook/WhatsApp is the primary means by which the government communicates essential information to the public which has become even more important during the current pandemic.

Once again, the Global South is paying the price of the Global North's utter and complete failure to effectively regulate this leviathan. 

6 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I wonder if Oculus VR Headsets would also be down cause they must now have a Facebook account linked to them.

I just tested mine. Any apps bought from the store don't work when it ties to verify a license. However, it did work fine when I use the sideloaded Virtual Desktop to wirelessly stream games from my PC. Not completely dead.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

lmao

2 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

Ehhh.  The joke was great.  Then someone tried to add to it. Never works out

It was great and I wrote a proof about it and it checks out so fuck u

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

omg…

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

They're literally sending a team to the data center to unplug the server and then plug it back in.

Guaranteed that those engineers aren't nearly being paid enough. That sounds awful. I somehow doubt Facebook has ever done a cold start test for everything.

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

Almost like connecting everything together might be a bad idea 

What's worse here is that they didn't just connect all they're external things together. Their internal things were also connected to their external things and it was all one gigantic headphone cable in the cloud.

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Guaranteed that those engineers aren't nearly being paid enough. That sounds awful. I somehow doubt Facebook has ever done a cold start test for everything.

What's worse here is that they didn't just connect all they're external things together. Their internal things were also connected to their external things and it was all one gigantic headphone cable in the cloud.

I actually have this problem with my home security setup too. I'm going to have a electrician run the line behind a pipe and I'm going to plant thorny rose bushes in front of it + crackly noisy pebbles 4 ft away from it. 

Maybe Facebook just needs rose bushes?

6 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Almost like connecting everything together might be a bad idea 

And on the fifth hour of The Great Facebook Down, our Lord Zuck resolved that going forth, Facebook would be on the blockchain, feed by peasant miners minting FaceCoins.

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Ominous said:

spacer.png

Somewhere at Facebook headquarters 

I once worked at a firm where one of the IT Directors saw a loose Ethernet cable dangling on the floor and plugged it into the nearest switch. Network loops are cool when STP isn't working right.

• b_m_b_m_b_m changed the title to Shut down Facebook. Facebook responds: "ok, done"
2 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I'd be worried that this was nefarious if it didn't reveal such utter, utter incompetence. Who wants to be the Goofus in every network infrastructure and security book from here until the end of time? 

A large chunk of my work over the last decade has been disaster prep. You know, normal stuff in a climate change world. These data centers are too close to one another in the event of a hurricane. These can't serve as backups for each other, they're both on the same coast and what if there's a tsunami? These are both on the same power grid and what if it goes Texas? What happens if these servers can't reach the domain? What if these doors aren't getting power?

At my current company, all my locks are electronic. The doors have a backup physical key that only like myself and maybe two other people have. The server cages have a backup physical key that's in a literal safe within a locked room. The key to that safe is locked up in another safe. In that safe is an encrypted drive with backups of master passwords in the event that all of IT is killed in a tragic team bonding exercise and some outside consultant has to come in and pick up the pieces. The password to that encrypted drive is also locked in another safe in another building. That drive will self destruct if you enter the password wrong x number times. I have Internet connections coming in from three different corners of the actual building in case like a truck rams into and destroys one corner of the building. I have have a cellular Internet connection in case my ISPs are lying to me and all the cable and fiber connections do share a conduit somewhere on the way to my building, because what if errant construction rips that up?

Damnit. These are all normal questions to ask when I'm surveying a site for disaster recovery. I'm not really any more thorough than the next guy in this field. How did Facebook not have someone that could ask the simple question "Uhhh...what if the network went down and we needed to reboot some stuff?".

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

A large chunk of my work over the last decade has been disaster prep. You know, normal stuff in a climate change world. These data centers are too close to one another in the event of a hurricane. These can't serve as backups for each other, they're both on the same coast and what if there's a tsunami? These are both on the same power grid and what if it goes Texas? What happens if these servers can't reach the domain? What if these doors aren't getting power?

At my current company, all my locks are electronic. The doors have a backup physical key that only like myself and maybe two other people have. The server cages have a backup physical key that's in a literal safe within a locked room. The key to that safe is locked up in another safe. In that safe is an encrypted drive with backups of master passwords in the event that all of IT is killed in a tragic team bonding exercise and some outside consultant has to come in and pick up the pieces. The password to that encrypted drive is also locked in another safe in another building. That drive will self destruct if you enter the password wrong x number times. I have Internet connections coming in from three different corners of the actual building in case like a truck rams into and destroys one corner of the building. I have have a cellular Internet connection in case my ISPs are lying to me and all the came and fiber connections do share a conduit somewhere on the way to my building, because what if errant construction rips that up?

Damnit. These are all normal questions to ask when I'm surveying a site for disaster recovery. I'm not really any more thorough than the next guy in this field. How did Facebook not have someone that could ask the simple question "Uhhh...what if the network went down and we needed to reboot some stuff?".

Ok what if you just used one box? 

Presentation Gavin GIF by Silicon Valley

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The employees obviously did their own research.