Shut down Social Media (except D1P, naturally), update: Facebook to shut down its facial recognition program

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

I'm starting to feel that way too. I miss my swappable batteries. But fuck iPhones are how expensive all their accessories are.

I feel this but Android flagships are priced similarly to iPhones these days too. So it's like a double gut punch. Less features for more money! But here's a camera improvement you barely notice! Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Jason said:

There's a lot of UX things about iOS that I can't stand. I'm not flashing custom ROMs or anything like that any more but it's still nice to be able to tweak things that you just can't stand.

This is true. I love all the things you can do by just changing something like a launcher.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

How about not even having a back button. That's the biggest dumb deal-breaker for me.

What does a back button accomplish that swiping the bottom of the screen does not? Or swiping the screen higher if you’re in a browser or something.

Unrelated to that but related to the OP...

A friend of a friend I connected to on Facebook started shitposting a while back, and towards the end of the election / inauguration got more into the Q, stolen election, etc., bullshit. We weren’t super close so I unfriended her. Ever since I’ve done that, a couple people I know from high school who I’ve literally never engaged with since adding them probably a decade ago who also post conspiracy shit are always at the top of my timeline, consistently, 100% of the time I open the app over the last couple weeks. This shit sucks so fucking bad.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

What does a back button accomplish that swiping the bottom of the screen does not? Or swiping the screen higher if you’re in a browser or something.

Unrelated to that but related to the OP...

A friend of a friend I connected to on Facebook started shitposting a while back, and towards the end of the election / inauguration got more into the Q, stolen election, etc., bullshit. We weren’t super close so I unfriended her. Ever since I’ve done that, a couple people I know from high school who I’ve literally never engaged with since adding them probably a decade ago who also post conspiracy shit are always at the top of my timeline, consistently, 100% of the time I open the app over the last couple weeks. This shit sucks so fucking bad.

Generally agreed, but there have been a couple times where swiping left does not work, but a back button would have. These moments are very rare though, so I don't really miss my back button anymore.

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

Generally agreed, but there have been a couple times where swiping left does not work, but a back button would have. These moments are very rare though, so I don't really miss my back button anymore.

Fair enough, I just don’t know Android well, my experience is almost all limited to devices from my last job where we locked them down and ran custom software on top of them.

19 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Your and @foosh's boss decision to go to war with Facebook might actually convince me to go with Apple when I decide it's time to retire my Pixel 3.

im praying i dont get called to court with this. FB actually told me directly i was a dick to work with. But i actually like their products lol

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

The phone's back button is always in the same place. No need to think about what action to use as the back action depending on the context of what specific app I'm using. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

The phone's back button is always in the same place. No need to think about what action to use as the back action depending on the context of what specific app I'm using. 

So does the back button do different things depending on the app and / or the most recent action? In iOS if you swipe on the bottom of the screen, you go back and forth between apps. When you’re in a browser, swiping the screen does back / forward.

15 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

So does the back button do different things depending on the app and / or the most recent action? In iOS if you swipe on the bottom of the screen, you go back and forth between apps. When you’re in a browser, swiping the screen does back / forward.

iPhone is too easy  for them, they need something complicated!

18 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Back button will basically always undo your last action. So if you're 4-layers deep in a menu, it will take you one layer up. On a webpage it goes back to the previous page you were on. It functions in the context of the app you are inside. If Apple allowed launchers so that you could customize appearance/functionality, then it wouldn't be a big deal as people could just mod it in. But they don't, which sucks. Another issue (for people in my industry) is that being able to use unsigned apps for testing/local use is not as supported with Apple. My department has custom apps and it's a giant pain in the ass to get them work for the two people who use Apple out of the 20 in the office. I understand why Apple is moving to such harsh restrictions for unsigned apps, but there is no easy way around them as the rules get stricter and stricter. If I want to side-load an app, I should be able to (even if that means unlocked dev mode, like on Android).

19 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Back button will basically always undo your last action. So if you're 4-layers deep in a menu, it will take you one layer up. On a webpage it goes back to the previous page you were on. It functions in the context of the app you are inside.

This sounds like it sucks, lol

20 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Back button will basically always undo your last action. So if you're 4-layers deep in a menu, it will take you one layer up. On a webpage it goes back to the previous page you were on. It functions in the context of the app you are inside. If Apple allowed launchers so that you could customize appearance/functionality, then it wouldn't be a big deal as people could just mod it in. But they don't, which sucks. Another issue (for people in my industry) is that being able to use unsigned apps for testing/local use is not as supported with Apple. My department has custom apps and it's a giant pain in the ass to get them work for the two people who use Apple out of the 20 in the office. I understand why Apple is moving to such harsh restrictions for unsigned apps, but there is no easy way around them as the rules get stricter and stricter. If I want to side-load an app, I should be able to (even if that means unlocked dev mode, like on Android).

It's also how you dismiss the keyboard, while apparently there's like three different potential ways to do that on iOS. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's also how you dismiss the keyboard, while apparently there's like three different potential ways to do that on iOS. 

You tap the screen above the keyboard when it pops up? I honestly can’t remember the last time I needed to dismiss the keyboard, it’s there when I want it to be and it’s not when it isn’t? 

I understand familiarity driving preference, but I’m confused by someone thinking that the same button doing different stuff not just across apps but also being dependent upon the last action taken which is not a visible thing is good design. And is the keyboard routinely popping up when you don’t want it to? I’ve had an iPhone since 2008 and I honestly cannot remember a single time this has happened? Maybe it’s happening all the time and I just muscle memory it away without realizing it?

14 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Back to the topic at hand, it's funny how we have all this evidence that social media bends over backwards for conservatives, yet Republicans still have the audacity to complain about being censored.

man,  i wish i could find it again but based off FB and Twitter, conservatives make up 60-70% of social media based off political posts and retweets. its kinda like how conservatives are making fun of Biden's twitter and youtube channel not having a lot of likes and subscribers. its been one of the MAGA's arguments that if Biden doesn't have a lot of youtube likes, how did he get 81million votes?

Also... I rarely log into my google account when I watch YouTube videos, it’s almost always in a private window and a new session.

My recommended videos are filled with shit about Gina Carano, Ben Shapiro, stolen elections, cancel culture, etc. It’s fucking ridiculous. 

It's like an Undo button, which is an incredibly common feature on PC applications. I don't think it's hard to grasp for users. There is also the main home button (which minimizes everything and takes you to the android desktop), and then the multi-task button, which brings up all the open apps so you can switch to other ones (or close them, etc).

You tap the screen above the keyboard when it pops up? I honestly can’t remember the last time I needed to dismiss the keyboard, it’s there when I want it to be and it’s not when it isn’t?

If you're typing and want to see more of the screen and don't want to worry about where precisely on the screen you're hitting, lest you get taken somewhere else?

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's like an Undo button, which is an incredibly common feature on PC applications. I don't think it's hard to grasp for users. There is also the main home button (which minimizes everything and takes you to the android desktop), and then the multi-task button, which brings up all the open apps so you can switch to other ones (or close them, etc).

I dunno any OS that has an undo button function across apps, though. It seems completely counter intuitive to me that I could have one app active, hit a back button, and be taken to a different app, which I think could happen based on what you’re saying? Going home / app switching are all swipes on iOS at this point, too.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

If you're typing and want to see more of the screen and don't want to worry about where precisely on the screen you're hitting, lest you get taken somewhere else?

I honestly cannot remember this ever happening, but I assume I’m not understanding it correctly based on how you typed it. What do you mean worrying precisely where on the screen you’re hitting? If I wanted to tap “above” the keyboard, I can see everything there clearly and I wouldn’t get taken somewhere I don’t want to go?

I find the Australian news thing fascinating, and I kinda hope it goes through and news stays off of Facebook there. Don't get me wrong, I think it's incredibly stupid to force Facebook to pay for links that users post to the site, and essentially blacklisting news is a relatively reasonable response to such an insane law. I'd never support anything like that in the US, even if it were somehow legal.

Still, I think a world where people don't get their news from Facebook is probably a better world than one where a huge percentage of the population only gets their news from Facebook.

I could be very wrong. It could be that those people move to other platforms and their news diet becomes somehow worse than it was with Facebook, and people are radicalized to insanity at a higher rate than before. Either way, it'll be an interesting experiment at a huge scale if the current state of affairs holds.

13 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I dunno any OS that has an undo button function across apps, though. It seems completely counter intuitive to me that I could have one app active, hit a back button, and be taken to a different app, which I think could happen based on what you’re saying? Going home / app switching are all swipes on iOS at this point, too.

I honestly cannot remember this ever happening, but I assume I’m not understanding it correctly based on how you typed it. What do you mean worrying precisely where on the screen you’re hitting? If I wanted to tap “above” the keyboard, I can see everything there clearly and I wouldn’t get taken somewhere I don’t want to go?

No, it acts as a Back but within that app. If all you've done is just open that app, then it closes it. But it wouldn't take you between apps.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

No, it acts as a Back but within that app. If all you've done is just open that app, then it closes it. But it wouldn't take you between apps.

It will if you open a link in your browser that sends you to a specific app, it'll send you back to your browser. Which I think is sensible. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

It will if you open a link in your browser that sends you to a specific app, it'll send you back to your browser. Which I think is sensible. 

True. In that case it is really just closing the app, of course, and re-opening the app you came from. But it does make it really easy to navigate backwards through what you were doing.

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Androids function much like desktop PC's. Back takes you back within an app. Home button takes you home. My wife only uses Apple products and they seem a lot more restrictive to me than Android functions, which feel far more intuitive to me, but to each their own.

What desktop OS has an OS level back button? And is it a “back” button or an “undo” button like Riley said? And does it always take you back / undo within an app, or can it sometimes bring you back to a previous app?

I think the fact that I can’t get a clear answer on what an OS level button does means the button kinda blows and y’all are just used to it, but I can only imagine the iOS jankery that I’ve developed muscle memory for and don’t even realize I’m behaving around... so I’m not trying to claim any kind of epeen superiority, here.

That said I still have no earthly idea what Jason was describing with the keyboard, explain yourself @Jason :p

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

What desktop OS has an OS level back button? And is it a “back” button or an “undo” button like Riley said? And does it always take you back / undo within an app, or can it sometimes bring you back to a previous app?

I think the fact that I can’t get a clear answer on what an OS level button does means the button kinda blows and y’all are just used to it, but I can only imagine the iOS jankery that I’ve developed muscle memory for and don’t even realize I’m behaving around... so I’m not trying to claim any kind of epeen superiority, here.

That said I still have no earthly idea what Jason was describing with the keyboard, explain yourself @Jason :p

I've only been sort of following this aspect of the thread, so I can't speak to the description others are giving. I only meant that to me a back button is like the back arrow button on a browser - it functions similarly. I don't want to confuse you more though, and I agree with you that we must be used to it, similar to Apple users being used to their OS. The back button for Android works like the back button in a browser if that simplifies things though heh.

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I've only been sort of following this aspect of the thread, so I can't speak to the description others are giving. I only meant that to me a back button is like the back arrow button on a browser - it functions similarly. I don't want to confuse you more though, and I agree with you that we must be used to it, similar to Apple users being used to their OS. The back button for Android works like the back button in a browser if that simplifies things though heh.

But if I had a browser open, I hit back, and the last thing I’d done was edit something in Excel... Windows / macOS won’t switch me back to Excel from Safari or Chrome. The way Jason explained it, I had assumed that the Android back button sometimes WOULD bring you to another app. The Xbox One does this and it’s never made a lick of sense to me.

Just now, Jason said:

tl;dr how does Steve's cock taste? 

Reveal hidden contents

:troll:

Dusty.

Now seriously, what did you mean with that keyboard example because I cannot wrap my head around it and I know I’m being dumb.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

But if I had a browser open, I hit back, and the last thing I’d done was edit something in Excel... Windows / macOS won’t switch me back to Excel from Safari or Chrome. The way Jason explained it, I had assumed that the Android back button sometimes WOULD bring you to another app. The Xbox One does this and it’s never made a lick of sense to me.

At least on my S8+ the back button does not kick you from one app to another one, no, it will just keep taking you back within that app. You can hit the home button, be taken back to the main desktop-esque screen of apps, and open the other app. You can press the the vertical lines button to bring up all open apps and just cycle through to go to a different app you just used. Most Androids have a three vertical lines button, a home button, and a back button at the bottom of the phone's screen.