Shut down Social Media (except D1P, naturally), update: Facebook to shut down its facial recognition program

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'm a bit freaked that facebook wants me to put a covid vaccine frame on my picture when I've never posted anything about getting.  

Snooping mother fuckers.  They're spying on my texts, voice, and\or location.

SpeakingUp_SmBiz_1.png
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Facebook has been a vocal critic of iOS 14 privacy rules

The other day at work, we were talking (literally talking) about a product of some kind, and the next day when I opened up my Facebook app on my phone, there were a bunch of ads on my stream about that product.  I thought that was weird, and I verified that I didn't search for that thing by looking through my search history on Chrome.  I legit think that the Facebook app was listening to our conversation. 

16 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The other day at work, we were talking (literally talking) about a product of some kind, and the next day when I opened up my Facebook app on my phone, there were a bunch of ads on my stream about that product.  I thought that was weird, and I verified that I didn't search for that thing by looking through my search history on Chrome.  I legit think that the Facebook app was listening to our conversation. 

It 100% has to be. I deleted it a while back. My wife and I went to a concert and after were talking about how rude the crowd was, all of a sudden a bunch of suggested articles on rude crowds. I was like wtf I have never had that conversation ever before. BOTH our phones too. 

I only have an account now because I need it for my Oculus Quest VR headset. I got one when everyone else got it, but I don’t like using it at all. I think the only time I really used it was after I was rear ended the first time in my ‘08 Escape. That happened some 10-11 years ago and still shows the same pic in my profile. I’ve had nieces born, dad died and many other events happen since then (including rear ended again, different car) I just don’t think I need to tell everyone and ANYONE so openly about my personal life like that.

be worse if they reinstate Trump’s privilege (which they think will happen) as of tomorrow morning.

It's ok. Trump has his new social media site that's just a fake Twitter blog and all his acolytes are just going to share all his posts from there to Twitter and Facebook.

Twitter has already said they'll allow it, so I doubt Facebook is going to deny Trump.

I deactivated my profile over a month and a half ago and it was one of the best decisions I’ve made for my mental health. I’m very close to just completely deleting my account but some of my close friends still use messenger, so that would be a harder leap for me to make.

4 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's ok. Trump has his new social media site that's just a fake Twitter blog and all his acolytes are just going to share all his posts from there to Twitter and Facebook.

Twitter has already said they'll allow it, so I doubt Facebook is going to deny Trump.

one of the few times I wish Twitch was running the show. They’d ban anyone tweeting his crap. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

(sigh)

106200895-1571916518376rts2sjeh.jpg?v=15
WWW.CNBC.COM

A federal court on Monday dismissed the Federal Trade Commission's antitrust complaint against Facebook.

A federal court on Monday dismissed the Federal Trade Commission’s antitrust complaint against Facebook, as well as a parallel case brought by 48 state attorneys general, dealing a major setback for the agency’s complaint that could have resulted in Facebook divesting Instagram and WhatsApp.

Shares of Facebook rose more than 4% on Monday following the rulings, sending the social media company’s market capitalization above $1 trillion for the first time.

The FTC sued the company last December, alongside attorneys general from 48 states, arguing that Facebook engaged engaged in a systematic strategy to eliminate threats to its monopoly, including the 2012 and 2014 acquisitions of Instagram and WhatsApp, respectively, which the FTC previously cleared. 

However, the court ruled Monday said the FTC failed to prove its main contention, and the cornerstone of the case: That Facebook holds monopoly power in the U.S. personal social networking market.

• Guillotine 4

That article sure makes it sound like the FTC complaint was poorly written.

“These allegations -- which do not even provide an estimated actual figure or range for Facebook’s market share at any point over the past ten years -- ultimately fall short of plausibly establishing that Facebook holds market power.”

That alone is pretty bad.

I don't really think there was much for this FTC complaint to actually do. They weren't going to actually break Facebook up.

The biggest lesson from Facebook is just to prevent the big mergers and acquisitions in general. A world where Facebook competes with Instagram is better than one where they own it.

On 5/4/2021 at 11:34 AM, silentbob said:

I only have an account now because I need it for my Oculus Quest VR headset. I got one when everyone else got it, but I don’t like using it at all. I think the only time I really used it was after I was rear ended the first time in my ‘08 Escape. That happened some 10-11 years ago and still shows the same pic in my profile. I’ve had nieces born, dad died and many other events happen since then (including rear ended again, different car) I just don’t think I need to tell everyone and ANYONE so openly about my personal life like that.

be worse if they reinstate Trump’s privilege (which they think will happen) as of tomorrow morning.

The only reason I have a Facebook account is because my writer's page is linked through it, and my fan page is grandfathered through them with the sign-up that was started years ago. I basically don't go on the site more than once every few weeks, just to clear out the cobwebs of the endless notifications.

16 hours ago, TwinIon said:

That article sure makes it sound like the FTC complaint was poorly written.

That alone is pretty bad.

I don't really think there was much for this FTC complaint to actually do. They weren't going to actually break Facebook up.

The biggest lesson from Facebook is just to prevent the big mergers and acquisitions in general. A world where Facebook competes with Instagram is better than one where they own it.

I think that's a pretty valid case to make here. Facebook specifically bought Instagram to squash a potential competitor and then bought WhatsApp because they were their biggest competitor in the platform agnostic chat space. WhatsApp was the only platform agnostic chat client bigger than Facebook Messenger. The only client that comes close now is WeChat.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I think that's a pretty valid case to make here. Facebook specifically bought Instagram to squash a potential competitor and then bought WhatsApp because they were their biggest competitor in the platform agnostic chat space. WhatsApp was the only platform agnostic chat client bigger than Facebook Messenger. The only client that comes close now is WeChat.

Don't get me wrong, I support breaking Facebook up, I just didn't think the FTC could prove a monopoly here, especially given current antitrust standards.

When it comes to Facebook, what do they have a monopoly in? Social networking? They can point to Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube, Reddit, Tik Tok, Pintersest, Linked In, and all the sites like WeChat that don't get as much play in the States. Then you get into messaging, where they clearly don't have a monopoly with competitors like iMessage, Telegram, and SMS/RCS. Then you have even more dubiously defined competitors when you get into things like Fortnite as a social space or email as internet communication. All this is why the FTC didn't really even define a market or Facebook's share of it.

Then you have the question of where they actually make their money, which is internet advertising, in which they're a dominant player, but not even the dominant player, and they have two trillion dollar plus companies (Amazon and Apple) coming for them. Additionally, Facebook would argue that internet advertising itself is only a subset of the larger advertising space, where they're really far from being a monopolist.

Which is all almost beside the point when the consumer welfare standard is still in place and you can't prove consumer harm because everything is free.

I’m curious how Facebook could be broken up in a way that benefits consumers. Is WhatsApp fundamentally better for consumers if owned by a different entity? This is an honest question for those who know much more about this stuff than I.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I’m curious how Facebook could be broken up in a way that benefits consumers. Is WhatsApp fundamentally better for consumers if owned by a different entity? This is an honest question for those who know much more about this stuff than I.

Yes, because Facebook owning Whatsapp increases the amount of your data being held by a single entity.