Shut down Social Media (except D1P, naturally), update: Facebook to shut down its facial recognition program

Summary of testimony so far from The Guardian:

• Facebook intentionally targets teens including children under the age of 13, Haugen says her documents show.
  • Lack of transparency around how Facebook’s algorithms work make it impossible to regulate, Haugen says.
  • Senators are repeatedly comparing Facebook to Big Tobacco, suggesting we may see similar regulation to the platform as we have seen of cigarettes in the past: “A first social media account designed to keep kids as users for life,” said Sen. Ed Markey.
  • The platform does not dedicate equal amounts of research and resources to misinformation and hate speech to non-English content, Haugen says, fueling violence in places like Ethiopia.
  • Haugen has stressed that Facebook tends to rely on artificial intelligence to automate moderation, even though it only catches about 10-20% of offending content, because it is cheaper.
  • Haugen suggested a number of measures to be taken to regulate Facebook, including an independent government body staffed by former tech workers who understand how the algorithm works.
  • Guillotine 1

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Summary of testimony so far from The Guardian:

• Facebook intentionally targets teens including children under the age of 13, Haugen says her documents show.
  • Lack of transparency around how Facebook’s algorithms work make it impossible to regulate, Haugen says.
  • Senators are repeatedly comparing Facebook to Big Tobacco, suggesting we may see similar regulation to the platform as we have seen of cigarettes in the past: “A first social media account designed to keep kids as users for life,” said Sen. Ed Markey.
  • The platform does not dedicate equal amounts of research and resources to misinformation and hate speech to non-English content, Haugen says, fueling violence in places like Ethiopia.
  • Haugen has stressed that Facebook tends to rely on artificial intelligence to automate moderation, even though it only catches about 10-20% of offending content, because it is cheaper.
  • Haugen suggested a number of measures to be taken to regulate Facebook, including an independent government body staffed by former tech workers who understand how the algorithm works.

I don't like the idea of a government body that regulates how Facebook or any social media works. That's a cool way to start off with an idea that is then taken over by white supremacists a bunch of years down the road.

Something a little more hands off would probably work. Make it illegal to target advertising to users under 18. Parents of children can then just sue if they discover Facebook or others are targeting children with direct ads. Allow users to sue the platform if they're faced with harassment or threats of violence that goes ignored after being reported, BUT allow the platform to shift all blame to the harasser if they're willing to identify them for the courts. If they can't because it's a burner account, oh well, too bad. Advertisers and shareholders should have full access to internal studies performed by Facebook and others. Same should go for anonymized reports on sexual harassment, racism, and other such issues reported to HR. That should be a thing these public companies should be forced to report on during earnings call.

On 10/5/2021 at 2:21 PM, Ghost_MH said:

I don't like the idea of a government body that regulates how Facebook or any social media works. That's a cool way to start off with an idea that is then taken over by white supremacists a bunch of years down the road.

Something a little more hands off would probably work. Make it illegal to target advertising to users under 18. Parents of children can then just sue if they discover Facebook or others are targeting children with direct ads. Allow users to sue the platform if they're faced with harassment or threats of violence that goes ignored after being reported, BUT allow the platform to shift all blame to the harasser if they're willing to identify them for the courts. If they can't because it's a burner account, oh well, too bad. Advertisers and shareholders should have full access to internal studies performed by Facebook and others. Same should go for anonymized reports on sexual harassment, racism, and other such issues reported to HR. That should be a thing these public companies should be forced to report on during earnings call.

Most of that would require repealing 230, just like trump and the Republicans want. 

The solutions still have to be within the law. 

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yeah, but they're dumb and don't realize that 230 protects them.

Maybe Trump doesn't, but FB and Twitter definitely know. And so do Trumps enablers. They want to be able grift by suing for disparagement by social media companies.

We can keep pretending Republicans are dumb, but that ignores the fact that they have been able to keep this much power for this long. They know exactly what they are doing.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think I mentioned here before, but I remember how much suspicion I threw at Facebook over their numbers when I started posting clips and live streams for my local church's Facebook page. The numbers made no sense and it was impossible to explain why they were nonsense to church leaders who thought their online presence was growing exponentially. Best I could figure was that Facebook was counting the rendering of the video player window, even if the player was off screen or not even actually playing video as a "view".

30 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I think I mentioned here before, but I remember how much suspicion I threw at Facebook over their numbers when I started posting clips and live streams for my local church's Facebook page. The numbers made no sense and it was impossible to explain why they were nonsense to church leaders who thought their online presence was growing exponentially. Best I could figure was that Facebook was counting the rendering of the video player window, even if the player was off screen or not even actually playing video as a "view".

I think they were counting the autoplay as you scrolled by as a view, even if it was only playing for a couple of seconds.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think they were counting the autoplay as you scrolled by as a view, even if it was only playing for a couple of seconds.

They absolutely did that, but that seemed like a reaction to their first viewer count scamming. As far as I can tell they currently count a view as anyone that watches 3 seconds of video with or without audio, whether it was an auto play or an actual click. This is compared to YouTube where a view is an actual click followed by 30 seconds.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shut down Social Media (except D1P, naturally)

I changed this thread's title to be more encompassing than solely Facebook.

2190.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Home feed promotes rightwing tweets over those from the left, internal research finds

Twitter has admitted it amplifies more tweets from rightwing politicians and news outlets than content from leftwing sources.

The social media platform examined tweets from elected officials in seven countries – the UK, US, Canada, France, Germany, Spain and Japan. It also studied whether political content from news organisations was amplified on Twitter, focusing primarily on US news sources such as Fox News, the New York Times and BuzzFeed.

The study compared Twitter’s “Home” timeline – the default way its 200 million users are served tweets, in which an algorithm tailors what users see – with the traditional chronological timeline where the most recent tweets are ranked first.

The research found that in six out of seven countries, apart from Germany, tweets from rightwing politicians received more amplification from the algorithm than those from the left; right-leaning news organisations were more amplified than those on the left; and generally politicians’ tweets were more amplified by an algorithmic timeline than by the chronological timeline.

• Guillotine 2
  • Shocked 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shut down Social Media (except D1P, naturally), update: internal Twitter report admits bias in its algorithm towards right-wing politicians and news sources
5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Right wing content gets more engagement, which drives the algorithm, later, rinse, repeat. It’s like Ouroboros, except instead of eating its own tail it just keeps eating its own shit.

And I would wager a major part of that engagement is left leaning people trying to “dunk” on right wingers

This reminds me of the time that Microsoft created a self evolving/learning AI, and within hours of it being "born" it became a holocaust denying white supremist. 

emtechday2-mishabilenko067-11.jpg?resize
WWW.TECHNOLOGYREVIEW.COM

Yandex’s head of machine intelligence says Microsoft’s Tay showed how important it is to fix AI problems fast.

Maybe that's just the natural order of things! Whether it is an AI or a group of otherwise politically ambivalent fleshbots, all roads lead to chudville.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

This reminds me of the time that Microsoft created a self evolving/learning AI, and within hours of it being "born" it became a holocaust denying white supremist. 

emtechday2-mishabilenko067-11.jpg?resize
WWW.TECHNOLOGYREVIEW.COM

Yandex’s head of machine intelligence says Microsoft’s Tay showed how important it is to fix AI problems fast.

Maybe that's just the natural order of things! Whether it is an AI or a group of otherwise politically ambivalent fleshbots, all roads lead to chudville.

ZD0vpCiNMhUkwghAg4FyB6V_AteJ6aduyEI-AgW4M9E.jpg

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I changed this thread's title to be more encompassing than solely Facebook.

2190.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Home feed promotes rightwing tweets over those from the left, internal research finds

My favorite algorithm story was earlier this year when Twitter admitted its programmers couldn't deploy an update automatically banning neo-nazi content because it was banning too many prominent Republican politicians.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

So this might be the story FB was trying to get out in front of?

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
POPULAR.INFO

This is the online version of the Popular Information newsletter. You can get independent accountability journalism in your inbox every week. Sign up here: (From left to right: Facebook’s Joel Kaplan, Katie Harbath, and Kevin Martin) In recent months, Facebook has repeatedly taken actions that benefit Republicans and the right-wing. For example:

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

So this might be the story FB was trying to get out in front of?

This quote...

The Facebook spokesperson said in an email that the company has “taken a more aggressive approach in how we reduce content that is likely to violate our policies, in addition to not recommending Groups, Pages or people that regularly post content that is likely to violate our policies.”

Repeatedly violating Facebook policy isn't going to get that content deleted, just reduce how often they recommend it to others. Facebook really doesn't want anyone to stop using Facebook, even if that anyone is sharing extremist, violent, racist content.

I’ve had this exact thought so many times when I see people, even on this board, posting links to videos or Trump’s own insane memos.

Have some self control, people

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’ve had this exact thought so many times when I see people, even on this board, posting links to videos or Trump’s own insane memos.

Have some self control, people

Ignoring it won't make him go away. 

It's the braindead "both sides" reporters who are the problem

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Ignoring it won't make him go away. 

It's the braindead "both sides" reporters who are the problem

Trump’s rise is unquestionably a function of free advertising by both old school media  and social media. January 20th was an opportunity to not make that same mistake again and let the guy ride off into irrelevancy. But we collectively are going to do it again.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If it's outrageous enough people will want to see if it's actually real and look for the sauce.

I did that once, after five minutes of scrolling through nothing but retweets I gave up. Right wingers spend an UNHEALTHY amount of time on social media apps.