~Official 2020 Congressional and State Races Thread~

unknown-1602502689.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.731
WWW.ELLE.COM

“It's a story of how gut-wrenching and complicated decisions can be related to reproductive health."

In the late 1980s in Detroit, Peters and his then wife, Heidi, were pregnant with their second child, a baby they very much wanted. Heidi was four months along when her water broke, leaving the fetus without amniotic fluid—a condition it could not possibly survive. The doctor told the Peters to go home and wait for a miscarriage to happen naturally.

But it didn’t happen. They went back to the hospital the next day, and the doctor detected a faint heartbeat. He recommended an abortion, because the fetus still had no chance of survival, but it wasn’t an option due to a hospital policy banning the procedure. So he sent the couple again home to wait for a miscarriage. “The mental anguish someone goes through is intense,” Peters says, “trying to have a miscarriage for a child that was wanted.”

As they waited, Heidi’s health deteriorated. When she returned to the hospital on the third day, after another night without a natural miscarriage, the doctor told her the situation was dire. She could lose her uterus in a matter of hours if she wasn’t able to have an abortion, and if she became septic from the uterine infection, she could die.

The doctor appealed to the hospital’s board for an exception to their anti-abortion policy and was denied. 

The Peters were able to get into another hospital right away because they were friends with its chief administrator. Heidi was rushed into an emergency abortion that saved her uterus and possibly her life. The whole experience was “painful and traumatic,” Heidi shared in a statement. “If it weren’t for urgent and critical medical care, I could have lost my life.”

“It’s important for folks to understand that these things happen to folks every day,” he explains. “I’ve always considered myself pro-choice and believe women should be able to make these decisions themselves, but when you live it in real life, you realize the significant impact it can have on a family.”

15 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:
WWW.ELLE.COM

“It's a story of how gut-wrenching and complicated decisions can be related to reproductive health."

:cry:I know this pain all too well. I've mention my past history of going through similar situations in the past. Which is why I get quite snappy at anti abortion people on the forums. This guy is lucky that their issue only lasted a few days, my wife's went on for a few weeks as we tried to find out everything we could about the situation. I'm so glad that the whole thing happen in Canada which is a lot more compassionate on the subject.

• Sad 4

21 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:
WWW.ELLE.COM

if the Democrats want to promote abortion, this is the way to do it.  Stop with the whole "my body, my choice" argument, as it falls on deaf ears.  Most mid to late term abortions are done for the same reasons as Peters gives here - and you just have to feel sorry for the guy (and his former wife, of course).

44 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

if the Democrats want to promote abortion, this is the way to do it.  Stop with the whole "my body, my choice" argument, as it falls on deaf ears.  Most mid to late term abortions are done for the same reasons as Peters gives here - and you just have to feel sorry for the guy (and his former wife, of course).

This story is WHY it should be their choice about their body. It isn't the only reason and it certainly shouldn't take a Senator to voice it to be heard and accepted as a valid reason. 

9 minutes ago, CayceG said:

This story is WHY it should be their choice about their body. It isn't the only reason and it certainly shouldn't take a Senator to voice it to be heard and accepted as a valid reason. 

When you have rabid leftists simply yelling "my body, my choice!", a lot of people are going to tune out.   That's all I'm saying. 

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Whatever. There are stronger arguments that can me made to win over more support from moderates, and even conservatives.  

I'm not even a pro-life (statutorily), by the way. 

Whatever indeed. Bodily autonomy isn't just about "rabid leftists". FFS, dude.

The problem with abortion rights is they are in general, very popular...but so are some of the anti abortion restrictions that Republicans impose on them, like hospital admitting privileges which on balance does far more to restrict abortion than any sort of safety gained.

gettyimages-1147172757-1-_wide-70c87c729
WWW.NPR.ORG

An NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist survey found that three-quarters of Americans want the Supreme Court to uphold Roe v. Wade. But there is also complexity — and contradiction — in respondents'...

But yeah, I can't imagine why women who get to have their agency taken away by wealthy, white, conservative, men (mostly) would take it well.

11 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Whatever. There are stronger arguments that can me made to win over more support from moderates, and even conservatives.  

I'm not even a pro-life (statutorily), by the way. 

Your response comes down to "they should do this the way I think it should be done for more support."

This essentially means that people would ostensibly make a different policy position only if the people in favor of the policy argued "the right way" for it. Which, when you know the "right way" to argue a policy, that means you have a potentially persuasive position on it. But people that say this garbage always put it on the people they're opposing to present rather than actually considering the argument they say they'd accept and make their opinion based on that. 

It's dumbass garbage that's nothing more than requiring an opponent to jump through hoops just so you can say at the end of the day "nah, I don't think I will. Good try though."

It's a common trope among Conservative circles that there are hundreds of thousands of late term abortions every year, simply because the mother doesn't want the child anymore.  In reality, mid and late term abortions are carried out because the mother's life is threatened, or the viability of the pregnancy is super low.  

Explaining why these abortions need to remain accessible to all women is more important that just saying "my body, my choice".  

Yes, I know I'm only stating my opinion here.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

It's a common trope among Conservative circles that there are hundreds of thousands of late term abortions every year, simply because the mother doesn't want the child anymore.  In reality, mid and late term abortions are carried out because the mother's life is threatened, or the viability of the pregnancy is super low.  

Explaining why these abortions need to remain accessible to all women is more important that just saying "my body, my choice".  

Only because you were called out on it. Previously, you made it seem like this was the popular opinion.

Also, this isn't a binary choice. Democrats make both arguments all the time. 

7 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Conservatives harp on this because the straw man they build sounds "reasonable" when you lack the context that they really think abortion at any point should be a crime because life begins at conception but it's very unpopular to say that, just like when you ask them about rape and incest exceptions and turns out they really are pro birth.

10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

That trope among conservatives exists purely because they don't accept the facts of the issue and instead rely on their own conspiracies stoking the fire. This isn't a problem that the left has to address. This is rot within the conservative movement. 

People are capable of personally believing that abortion is wrong or morally problematic or a tough subject... and also believing that there are generally acceptable reasons to have one. But for almost everyone that takes the position that abortion should be illegal or restricted it is because they personally believe it is wrong and that their personal beliefs should be the law of the land. 

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

:cry:I know this pain all too well. I've mention my past history of going through similar situations in the past. Which is why I get quite snappy at anti abortion people on the forums. This guy is lucky that their issue only lasted a few days, my wife's went on for a few weeks as we tried to find out everything we could about the situation. I'm so glad that the whole thing happen in Canada which is a lot more compassionate on the subject.

I feel for you. Luckily, I'm in Massachusetts so we don't have to deal with the bullshit policies you might find in some redder states. I went through something similar before we had our oldest. We spent nearly an entire month going back and forth with doctors trying to figure out if the pregnancy was viable. The time you spend going back and forth with weekly ultrasounds, blood tests, and every other test you can run a pregnant woman and fetus through.