~Official 2020 Congressional and State Races Thread~

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

That was way closer than it should have been.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

My friend in Mass. pointed out that Kennedy will probably try for the special election if Warren gets a cabinet position.

I think the margin was part of his point. 55.5-45.5 is a pretty bad loss in modern politics but will probably be enough that Kennedy can tell himself "well, that was against an incumbent, the Kennedy name may get me farther when I'm not up against an incumbent".

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I think the margin was part of his point. 55.5-45.5 is a pretty bad loss in modern politics but will probably be enough that Kennedy can tell himself "well, that was against an incumbent, the Kennedy name may get me farther when I'm not up against an incumbent".

That's what bugs me. He got 45.5 against a popular incumbent on nothing but his name. That means this won't be the last of him, which is just great.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

I wonder if he would have ended up as paranoid if he won in 1960?  History would prove to be very different if he was president from 1960-68.  

Nixon was always a crook

I also doubt we would have had Medicare or any of the civil rights/voting rights/etc bills if Nixon is president

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Nixon was always a crook

I also doubt we would have had Medicare or any of the civil rights/voting rights/etc bills if Nixon is president

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Nixon was in many cases a populist.  If he knew that something like civil rights or medicare were winning positions in the 64 election, he'd likely support them. 

48 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Nixon was always a crook

Yup.

LBJ made it a mission to complete the civil rights legislation that Kennedy introduced in a message to the country. We "like" Nixon because he lived to do shit like the EPA, but his Southern Strategy shit continues to reverberate in crappy ways two decades into the 21st century. His associates like Roger Stone continues to be pieces of shit.

We wouldn't have gotten civil rights legislation, full stop. JFK is easily superior to Nixon.

It took the civil rights act and voting rights act (in addition to a liberal SCOTUS) to fully realize the southern strategy reaction and the breaking of the democratic solid South. The ascending conservative wing of the GOP really took off in response to these civil rights items and the fracturing of the new deal coalition. The GOP in the 50's, of which Nixon was the (relative, to Eisenhower) conservative VP, actually pushed for civil rights laws! So looking at a Nixon post 64 election without the lens of the party realignment that happened due to the largely southern, largely conservative response to civil rights is kinda guesswork.

But Nixon knew how to win, and he knew the republican party. So hard to tell how it would all shake out in an alternative timeline where JFK isn't murdered, and conservatives don't completely dominate the republican party building from Goldwater and Reagan in the 64 contest. Maybe conservatives run Goldwater as a primary challenge in 64, and that pushes Nixon right? Who knows. At best we'd get an even more watered down version of Medicare and civil/voting rights acts because the Goldwater criticisms of Eisenhower, "dime store New Deal", would be just as true to a moderate Nixon who won in 1960/governed from there.

Thom Tillis' reelection campaign is in hot water after his staff's idiotic reaction to a constituent.

"You’re saying that, if you can’t afford it, you don’t get to have it, and that includes health care?" 

"Yeah, just like if I want to go to the store and buy a new dress shirt. If I can’t afford that dress shirt, I don’t get to get it."

"But health care is something that people need, especially if they have cancer."

"Well, you got to find a way to get it." 

That's not paraphrasing. That was the conversation. :| 

Also, he's linked to the postmaster scandal. He was a major beneficiary of DeJoy's shit.

• Guillotine 1

Former Democratic senator, vice presidential nominee Lieberman endorses Collins

Lieberman, now an independent, also will be featured in an advertisement paid for by the Republican Jewish Coalition, NBC News reported Wednesday.

“I’m a lifelong Democrat but I put my country first, always. That’s why I’m supporting Susan Collins for Senate,” he says in the ad, referring to Collins as “a fighter for women’s issues.”

Lieberman was a Democratic senator from Connecticut for three terms – and ran as Al Gore’s running mate in 2000 – but unenrolled after he lost a 2006 primary. He then ran as an independent and won a 4th Senate term before retiring in 2012.

Collins has always touted her Senate relationships, so the endorsement isn’t a huge surprise. Lieberman endorsed Republican John McCain for president in 2008.

Among women under the age of 50, just 27 percent favored Collins, compared to 55 percent for Gideon.

I'm reminded of this.

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

She's gonna lose anyway, but Chuck and nancy certainly have a type for red districts

The fact that they insist on repeatedly hammering their heads against the wall with these veteran candidates despite their poor success rate is just...ugh.