~Official 2020 Congressional and State Races Thread~

My body my choice falls on deaf conservative ears, but they're not the people I'm trying to convince or rally. As one example, I know hardcore law enforcement people who are my body my choice people, word for word, and aren't Democrats.

While I do agree that it's not a binary choice, I do get mclumber's position in the sense that humanizing it as Peters or Buttigieg have helps to change the conversation and humanizing the choice, and even I don't hear that argument enough.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

My body my choice falls on deaf conservative ears, but they're not the people I'm trying to convince or rally. As one example, I know hardcore law enforcement people who are my body my choice people, word for word, and aren't Democrats.

While I do agree that it's not a binary choice, I do get mclumber's position in the sense that humanizing it as Peters or Buttigieg have helps to change the conversation and humanizing the choice, and even I don't hear that argument enough.

This is fine and dandy and definitely true, but very different from what mclumber was saying.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

This is fine and dandy and definitely true, but very different from what mclumber was saying.

I know it's different, but I get the idea that we should hear that side of the argument more. I think many people abstractly know the argument of, "It's the hardest decision a woman could make," but really don't "get" the circumstances. 

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I know family and friends that are staunchly pro-birth and whatever I remind them that my wife had an abortion they'll say stuff like "well, that's different" or "yeah, but she didn't have a choice".

It's hair pulling.

• Guillotine 4

13 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I feel for you. Luckily, I'm in Massachusetts so we don't have to deal with the bullshit policies you might find in some redder states. I went through something similar before we had our oldest. We spent nearly an entire month going back and forth with doctors trying to figure out if the pregnancy was viable. The time you spend going back and forth with weekly ultrasounds, blood tests, and every other test you can run a pregnant woman and fetus through.

</3 :hug: Just want to throw some support your way as well.  I've got to imagine it's a real kick in the teeth in the US when you get slapped with a medical bill afterwards as well. The whole situation with me and my wife trying to get a successful pregnancy has eroded my wife's trust in people. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I know family and friends that are staunchly pro-birth and whatever I remind them that my wife had an abortion they'll say stuff like "well, that's different" or "yeah, but she didn't have a choice".

It's hair pulling.

It's really quite similar to the "blacks/latinos/whatever are so lazy. Well, except for the ones I know, they are the good ones." 

6 minutes ago, chakoo said:

</3 :hug: Just want to throw some support your way as well.  I've got to imagine it's a real kick in the teeth in the US when you get slapped with a medical bill afterwards as well. The whole situation with me and my wife trying to get a successful pregnancy has eroded my wife's trust in people. 

That's the part that sucks. We've been lucky and managed to go from there to three kids...even if child number three nearly killed her and her doctors say they can't ethically allow her to bring another pregnancy to term.

But the US it's awesome. We got left with nearly $10k in medically bills for a child we never had. That was with insurance.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It's a common trope among Conservative circles that there are hundreds of thousands of late term abortions every year, simply because the mother doesn't want the child anymore.  In reality, mid and late term abortions are carried out because the mother's life is threatened, or the viability of the pregnancy is super low.  

Explaining why these abortions need to remain accessible to all women is more important that just saying "my body, my choice".  

Yes, I know I'm only stating my opinion here.

I actually agree with your opinion and do think we should be doing more than just distilling the argument down to "my body, my choice". It ends up with people not discussing the actual struggles people face in the situation and leads to people feeling stigmatized or silent about the pain they are suffering. The whole situation should be discussed more out in the open. 

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's really quite similar to the "blacks/latinos/whatever are so lazy. Well, except for the ones I know, they are the good ones." 

I recently had to explain this to my mother when she was shocked to learn that an older couple she knew was totally racist. My mother didn't realize her and my father were the token minority friends that were one of the good ones.

39 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Your response comes down to "they should do this the way I think it should be done for more support."

This essentially means that people would ostensibly make a different policy position only if the people in favor of the policy argued "the right way" for it. Which, when you know the "right way" to argue a policy, that means you have a potentially persuasive position on it. But people that say this garbage always put it on the people they're opposing to present rather than actually considering the argument they say they'd accept and make their opinion based on that. 

It's dumbass garbage that's nothing more than requiring an opponent to jump through hoops just so you can say at the end of the day "nah, I don't think I will. Good try though."

This may be a little different than what you're saying, but the last part reminded me of why I'm more progressive now than I was 10 years ago.

I had one hardcore libertarian roommate and another hardcore Republican my last two semesters of college, and I worked with plenty of Republicans at my first job. Any time I discussed something with them, I felt like I went above and beyond reasoning with them, coming to the middle, arguing on their terms (aka: talking more about debt than about economic opportunity), and it would lead to no concessions from them at all. It took a long time, but eventually I thought, "Why am I trying so hard to come to their side rather than explain my position by itself?"

People who are far-right automatons won't do anything, but I've gotten more, "I've never heard it explained to me that way," remarks doing that than trying to appeal to someone's conservatism. 

Loeffler gets support of QAnon candidate Greene in the Georgia jungle primary. This may very well end up being a Warnock/Loeffler runoff (Loeffler 

Since it looks 100% that Warnock will advance to the runoff, I'm gonna add this race to the OP since it's a lot simpler to write now.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

What was more complicated before?

Since it's a jungle primary, there were multiple people in it and it was harder to know which Democrats stood more of a chance. Now it looks like it's down to three people, with Lieberman's son making no headway. I didn't want to write about a bunch of people. :p 

So in the Iowa debate tonight, Theresa Greenfield was asked what the breakeven price for a bushel of corn was in Iowa at the moment. She got it exactly right at $3.68. Meanwhile, Joni Ernst was asked a similar question about soybeans and was way off. She said $5.50, but the real answer was $10.05. She then tried to say she had heard the question was being about corn again, but her answer would still be wrong if it was about corn.

27 minutes ago, Joe said:

So in the Iowa debate tonight, Theresa Greenfield was asked what the breakeven price for a bushel of corn was in Iowa at the moment. She got it exactly right at $3.68. Meanwhile, Joni Ernst was asked a similar question about soybeans and was way off. She said $5.50, but the real answer was $10.05. She then tried to say she had heard the question was being about corn again, but her answer would still be wrong if it was about corn.

Try looking like 2 posts above yours.

• Thanks 1