Just now, Ricofoley said:

I've only filled up my gas tank once since I started working from home in March. So I blame everyone else except me for this.

That's the crazy thing here. Everyone who can work from home/telecommute is doing so by necessity. We have to have massive structural changes, it's quite clear, but we're simply.... Not. Climate change is to the world what covid is to the United States

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Now we're lemmings.

Ahem...

Lemmings have become the subject of a widely popular misconception that they are driven to commit mass suicide when they migrate by jumping off cliffs. It is not a deliberate mass suicide where the animal voluntarily chooses to die, but rather a result of their migratory behavior. Driven by strong biological urges, some species of lemmings may migrate in large groups when population density becomes too great. They can swim and may choose to cross a body of water in search of a new habitat. In such cases, many drown if the chosen body of water happens to be an ocean, or is in any case so wide as to exceed their physical capabilities. Thus, the unexplained fluctuations in the population of Norwegian lemmings, and perhaps a small amount of semantic confusion (suicide not being limited to voluntary deliberation, but also the result of foolishness), helped give rise to the popular stereotype of the suicidal lemmings, particularly after this behavior was staged in the Walt Disney documentary White Wilderness in 1958

55 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Ahem...

A better metaphor would be to say we are similar to bison being chased over a buffalo jump by our own greed, blind to our destination.

For those not aware, buffalo jumps were a technique used by Indigenous hunters where they herded massive populations (in the tends of thousands, even) to a cliff and then spooked them, causing the bison to run off the cliff and be killed.

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

A better metaphor would be to say we are similar to bison being chased over a buffalo jump by our own greed, blind to our destination.

For those not aware, buffalo jumps were a technique used by Indigenous hunters where they herded massive populations (in the tends of thousands, even) to a cliff and then spooked them, causing the bison to run off the cliff and be killed.

But what about buffalo stance?

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Jose said:

One hot summer proves nothing, but I've never seen a summer like this before. Above 90 every single fucking day is not common for North Jerz.

Anecdotally it's been crazy hot here, as well. We're seeing 80-100F days since June, which is hot, and thunderstorms every second day. 

59 minutes ago, Jose said:

One hot summer proves nothing, but I've never seen a summer like this before. Above 90 every single fucking day is not common for North Jerz.

It’s been brutal. I am in the process of adding central air to my house.  I never felt the need for it before because the amount of consecutive hot days in NJ were rare. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

People are leaving California because you can't live a decent life there because the cost of living(read: housing and transportation) is too high for non-incumbents and the upper middle class and above. Taxes are just icing on that cake. 

Worth noting that taxes are higher than they otherwise would be because of prop 13 essentially freezing property tax rates and low density SFH zoning working in concert restricting supply thus driving prices skyward

18 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

Oh boo hoo, it’s been fucking hot everywhere. No one is ‘fleeing’ Cali because of the weather.

Oh yeah, nobody is leaving because of the constant fires and heatwaves, not at all. California is a hot mess all around.

Last time I wss there I couldn’t wait to get out. 

High taxes are absolutely the biggest reason by far though. And with good reason, if I had a business in Cali, I’d move too.