Breaking: SCOTUS rules 5-4 against Trump administration's "methodology" for ending DACA program

I'll just merge what I posted.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-trump-cannot-end-daca-big-win-dreamer-n1115116

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Supreme Court ruled Thursday that the Trump administration cannot carry out its plan to shut down the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which has allowed nearly 800,000 young people, known as "Dreamers," to avoid deportation and remain in the U.S.

The decision is a big legal defeat for President Donald Trump on the issue of immigration, which has been a major focus of his domestic agenda.

The ruling said the government failed to give an adequate justification for ending the federal program. The administration could try again to shut it down by offering a more detailed explanation for its action, but the White House might not want to end such a popular program in the heat of a presidential campaign.

Roberts broke the tie.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Man one of y'all was like, "Savor the LGBT ruling because every other ruling is gonna suck."

I hope you feel silly now since we have two rulings before the suck.

To be fair this is more of a "you can still do it just give me some bare minimum justification"

This doesn't end the debate!

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Man one of y'all was like, "Savor the LGBT ruling because every other ruling is gonna suck."

I hope you feel silly now since we have two rulings before the suck.

The ruling on Trump's taxes is going to somehow figure out how to officially declare him GEOTUS for life, isn't it? 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

To be fair this is more of a "you can still do it just give me some bare minimum justification"

This doesn't end the debate!

Its still a popular program, so Trump naturally will do the unpopular thing during his re-election campaign and try during it, lol.

This released yesterday.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/06/17/americans-broadly-support-legal-status-for-immigrants-brought-to-the-u-s-illegally-as-children/

ft_2020.06.17_DACA_01.png

I kind of agree with Alito that if everyone agrees that it's within the President's legal authority to do something, it shouldn't be mired in court for nearly the whole of his term.

However, this is also exactly the kind of thing that the "arbitrary and capricious" part of the APA is meant to prevent. If the President can't get over that extremely low bar, that's a darn good reason to prevent them from doing so.

I keep thinking about how bad the Trump administration could be if they had someone as competent as Dick Cheney. I realize their defining and uniting characteristic is complete incompetence, so it's hard to imagine what a competent Trump admin would look like, but it's still a scary proposition.

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I kind of agree with Alito that if everyone agrees that it's within the President's legal authority to do something, it shouldn't be mired in court for nearly the whole of his term.

However, this is also exactly the kind of thing that the "arbitrary and capricious" part of the APA is meant to prevent. If the President can't get over that extremely low bar, that's a darn good reason to prevent them from doing so.

I keep thinking about how bad the Trump administration could be if they had someone as competent as Dick Cheney. I realize their defining and uniting characteristic is complete incompetence, so it's hard to imagine what a competent Trump admin would look like, but it's still a scary proposition.

Bill Barr's DoJ is a good sneak peak of what competent, post-accountability authoritarian Republican administrations will look like.

Man, what a difference in culture between the US and Canada. Here, politicians are shamed for calling into question the political motives of the Supreme Court. The appointment process is also less partisan, however (never completely so, obviously, since the final choice rests in the hands of the PM), so that eliminates some conflict. I can't imaging political appointees (or elected officials) questioning the acting judges involved in decisions. Expressing disappointment with verdicts is common.

Donald Trump is an embarrassment to the human race.

What the fuck is this toddler crybaby shit? Can you imagine any other elected official acting like this? What a fucking clown. What a god damned joke this man is.

I continue to question why conservatives follow him. He continues to do an awful job at implementing their agenda with constant “L”. The only win was installing a conservative yet he continues to fuck up on  using that to have advantage.

Pence In charge would have gotten a fuck ton more done by now.

9 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I continue to question why conservatives follow him. He continues to do an awful job at implementing their agenda with constant “L”. The only win was installing a conservative yet he continues to fuck up on  using that to have advantage.

Mike Dense? I think not.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Mike Dense? I think not.

Why not? Most of what does Trump in is own-goals stemming from him being an impulsive raging lunatic who can't focus on anything for more than a hot second.

Simply not needlessly rocking the boat and having the attention span to see things through would make him way more effective than Trump.

23 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Because the last thing Republicans want is a third party Trump or a Trump that is actively campaigning against them because he's a bitter old man who would do exactly that. He's still popular among their core base as well. If he were impeached there is no way every talk show on Earth wouldn't have him on to talk about the impeachment or his opinions on the upcoming election and there's no way Trump would ever turn down the chance to talk about himself. What other option do they have? If the drop Trump from the ticket in November they'd still have that exact same problem, only maybe Trump convinces his base not to vote and ushers in a blue wave. I'm sure most Republicans in Washington are just hoping he'd keel over, but that just hasn't happened. Until that happens, they'll just keep backing every horrible thing he says because none of that is more important than the power they hold.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Because the last thing Republicans want is a third party Trump or a Trump that is actively campaigning against them because he's a bitter old man who would do exactly that. He's still popular among their core base as well. If he were impeached there is no way every talk show on Earth wouldn't have him on to talk about the impeachment or his opinions on the upcoming election and there's no way Trump would ever turn down the chance to talk about himself. What other option do they have? If the drop Trump from the ticket in November they'd still have that exact same problem, only maybe Trump convinces his base not to vote and ushers in a blue wave. I'm sure most Republicans in Washington are just hoping he'd keel over, but that just hasn't happened. Until that happens, they'll just keep backing every horrible thing he says because none of that is more important than the power they hold.

I'm not even talking just purely the elected party here. I'm talking about the whole parting including his supporters. 

21 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I'm not even talking just purely the elected party here. I'm talking about the whole parting including his supporters. 

His hardcore base are true believers. They're either racist or have been fed decades of Fox News telling them not to trust the other news sources. Now they have a president that tells them the MSM is a real problem and they're just completely sold. People either have to acknowledge they've been lied to for years and question their beliefs or double down on them. Most people will opt to double down. The worst Trump gets the more ardent their support because there's no way they made the wrong choice, it's the liberal media that's wrong and their Facebook and YouTube bubble agrees with them. Only when/if something directly affects them will their minds maybe change and even then only maybe. Some people will choose to suffer over admitting they were wrong or tricked in some way.