HBO Max launch date 5/27

https://www.hbomax.com

Launches in a few hours. It’s replacing HBO Now & Go... but it’s also not. It’s essentially everything HBO has to offer, and will be the only way to access some of their content. 

I was looking into getting it, as it’s currently running discounted at $11.99/month from the regular $14.99/month price... but then I looked at the ways to get it, and apparently I will get it for free because my internet is AT&T Internet 1000. Here is a link that shows all the ways to get the service:

https://www.cnet.com/news/hbo-max-will-be-free-for-millions-of-subscribers-are-you-one-of-them-apple-google-roku-comcast/

Be sure to check that before subscribing so you aren’t double paying.

13 hours ago, Emblazon said:

https://www.hbomax.com

Launches in a few hours. It’s replacing HBO Now & Go... but it’s also not. It’s essentially everything HBO has to offer, and will be the only way to access some of their content. 

I was looking into getting it, as it’s currently running discounted at $11.99/month from the regular $14.99/month price... but then I looked at the ways to get it, and apparently I will get it for free because my internet is AT&T Internet 1000. Here is a link that shows all the ways to get the service:

https://www.cnet.com/news/hbo-max-will-be-free-for-millions-of-subscribers-are-you-one-of-them-apple-google-roku-comcast/

Be sure to check that before subscribing so you aren’t double paying.

I have ATT 1000 as well. Do you know how we are supposed to get it through ATT? Are they going to email us or what?

Just now, Massdriver said:

I have ATT 1000 as well. Do you know how we are supposed to get it through ATT? Are they going to email us or what?

It was tricky. When you log into your AT&T account on the web (not the app), there will be a new module on the overview about “Get Started” with HBO Max. Follow that and it will link your account. Then go to HBO Max and sign in with a Provider, select AT&T, and use your account credentials. 

• Thanks 1

I think it's kinda funny that almost every story I've read about HBO Max has a line like "at $15 a month, it's the most expensive streaming service" which is fair, I guess. But HBO Now was already $15 a month, and this is just that with a bunch more stuff. 

On that note, I like that they have Disney+ style buttons for various collections like Studio Ghibli, TCM, and Adult Swim. 

27 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

It was tricky. When you log into your AT&T account on the web (not the app), there will be a new module on the overview about “Get Started” with HBO Max. Follow that and it will link your account. Then go to HBO Max and sign in with a Provider, select AT&T, and use your account credentials. 

Got it working. Thanks!

I never intended to get HBO Max regularly, but since it comes with my Internet, why not!

• Like 1

I jumped on this mainly for the Studio Ghibli stuff, but it's also a it good collection. I was already paying $10 for HBO, so it's just an extra $5 for me with a bunch of stuff on top of it.

There aren't too many exclusives right now, but I did catch an episode of one and I'll say Elmo's talk show is painfully cute.

Just now, SimpleG said:

It currently has no support for Roku or Amazon

Yeah, I read up on it. Unfortunate, but at least I can use the PS4 until a deal is worked out.

I didn't try logging on this morning but it looks like everything with the PS4 is working fine. It literally said I downloaded HBO Now but the app picture, and ultimately the result, was HBO Max.

3 hours ago, 69los said:

TCM looks legit.

They have The Hitcher on there. <3

And Freaks, Eyes Without a Face, Time Bandits, etc.

I was stunned to see everything in TCM's catalog, especially the Criterion Collection films. 

52 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

That TCM inclusion may push me over the edge on this. But how do you launch with no support for 2 of the 3 biggest streaming platforms in Roku and Amazon?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/why-hbo-max-not-available-on-roku-amazon-fire-tv-2020-5%3famp

The CEO of AT&T makes this sound like its a dick wagging contest.

13 hours ago, Chris- said:

I was stunned to see everything in TCM's catalog, especially the Criterion Collection films. 

13 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Oh shit, they’ve got a bunch of Kurosawa’s films. 

13 hours ago, Chris- said:

And some motherfuckin' Showa Godzilla!

Dammit. I'm bout to spend money. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

HBO Max had only 90,000 mobile downloads on launch day.

How big of a disaster is that? Should we keep in mind that HBO Max didn't launch on Roku or Firestick, and it only launched in the US?

Also take into account that it launched during a pandemic where so many people are streaming shows/videos that services are defaulting quality to sub-hd... and it still didn’t break 100k. :p 

I think the biggest issue with Max is all of the confusion over it with the average consumer: HBO Go vs HBO Now vs HBO Max vs simply having it on your cable/satellite bill.

1 hour ago, CastletonSnob said:

HBO Max had only 90,000 mobile downloads on launch day.

How big of a disaster is that? Should we keep in mind that HBO Max didn't launch on Roku or Firestick, and it only launched in the US?

You also have to keep in mind that many HBO Now subscribers were auto updated, and 90k obviously doesn't count them.