The Last of Us Part II OT - Best Served Cold, update: the story behind the game's realistic facial animations (PlayStation Blog)

SaysWho?

15 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It could also be a theme for a cartoon targeted at a toddler.

Reveal hidden contents

Could you elaborate?  I don't remember a the plot of that game being much more than an excuse for action, and a facile background for why Drake was a jerk.

Reveal hidden contents

I am not saying that TLOU2 won't be viewed as a great game by a significant part of the community.

There are clearly a lot of people who like the stealth genre much more than me, and the strength that ND brings to the dialog/voice acting/characterization will certainly appeal to a broad group of people.

However, if they have nothing interesting to say, and the demo is representative of the game, where it seem to luxuriate in the graphic "realistic" violence -- almost to the point of sadism.  I'm certainly not very interested.  I don't think it would be enjoyable to play for 30 hours

That said, I am still very interested in what people who have actually played the game have to say.  TBH, I really want to hear what they have to say on the Bombcast, because I think that crew will let me know if this is something I should play.

I mean . . . it could be a theme targeted at a toddler in theory, but it certainly doesn't come off that way in the little I've seen of the game.

I mean - with Uncharted 4 what I mean is the relationship established between Drake and his brother, his family and personal history, and his attempts at being a husband and father. It's not done with the depth of, say, Manchester by the Sea, but for the fourth game in an action blockbuster franchise, it was well done compared to many other games of its ilk. 

I liked TLOU - therefore I have no reason to believe I won't like this. It's the same team, back together, wanting to say even more. I just don't get why I would expect the worst - it's Naughty Dog - you'll get what they give you, in this case, in Last of Us terms rather than Uncharted terms. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean . . . it could be a theme targeted at a toddler in theory, but it certainly doesn't come off that way in the little I've seen of the game.

I mean - with Uncharted 4 what I mean is the relationship established between Drake and his brother, his family and personal history, and his attempts at being a husband and father. It's not done with the depth of, say, Manchester by the Sea, but for the fourth game in an action blockbuster franchise, it was well done compared to many other games of its ilk. 

I liked TLOU - therefore I have no reason to believe I won't like this. It's the same team, back together, wanting to say even more. I just don't get why I would expect the worst - it's Naughty Dog - you'll get what they give you, in this case, in Last of Us terms rather than Uncharted terms. 

You're right.  My point was more that the theme isn't necessarily an "adult theme".

I agree with what you're saying on Uncharted 4 -- the story telling is on par with an action movie.

It comes out soon, so we don't have long to wait.

• Thanks 1

I think the recent Girlfriend Reviews of Uncharted 4 does a good job of getting to the core of the appeal of Naughty Dog's games.They do "playable action movie" better than pretty much anyone, and that's nearly always going to get more attention than other ways people try to advance the medium. People really invested in the industry will champion games like Undertale or Gone Home, but those are the equivalent of an art house movie that gets played in maybe 100 theaters. They review well, maybe win some big awards, but are unlikely to find a large audience, and I think that's fine. Their influence will still be felt. 

Game Information

Game Title: The Last of Us Part II

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Jun 19, 2020)

Developer: Naughty Dog

Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 96 average - 99% recommended

Critic Reviews

3DNews - Russian - 10 / 10

An incredible journey and a wonderful sequel. This is a huge step forward compared to the original game in terms of scale of the world, atmosphere, graphics, story and everything else. It will be tremendously difficult to compete with The Last of Us Part II for Game of the Year awards.

Areajugones - Spanish - 10 / 10

The Last of Us 2 is a masterpiece that not only manages to stand toe to toe with the first entry, it even surpasses it. The story of TLOU2 introduces a narrative concept which is very different from what we are used to, and it keeps on surprising us again and again. Furthermore its landscapes, gameplay and visuals will forever remain with the players as the highest expression of videogames ever achieved on the PlayStation 4.

COGconnected - 100 / 100

A truly brilliant package.

Critical Hit - 10 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is an exceptional experience from beginning to end, uniting its gameplay and narrative into a cohesive unit while also delivering some of the best writing and acting seen in a video game to date. It is undeniably one of the best games I've ever played.

DASHGAMER.com - 10 / 10

What cannot be denied is that TLOU2 wraps all this up in an utterly fantastic gaming experience that can, and should be played in a multitude of different ways. By far the best PS4 exclusive, TLOU2 is a memorable and uncomfortable adventure that you simply must play to understand why it’s so annoyingly good.

Daily Star - 5 / 5 stars

Naughty Dog has done it again. The Last of Us Part 2 is a game that’s going to be talked about for a long time to come, and with good reason.

Digitally Downloaded - 5 / 5 stars

It makes me wonder why we’re even bothering with a “next generation” at all.

EGM - 10 / 10

Whether or not you consider The Last of Us Part II to be a worthwhile continuation of Joel and Ellie's story, there's no doubt that Naughty Dog has crafted a sequel that's every bit as ambitious and well-considered as the original, with quite possibly the best stealth-action gameplay realized to date.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 10 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is a monument to gaming and at the same time a productive miracle

Game Informer - 10 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is a monumental achievement in video game storytelling

Game Rant - 5 / 5 stars

Developer Naughty Dog builds on its post-apocalyptic opus with The Last of Us Part 2, delivering incredible visuals and an emotional story.

GameSpew - 10 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is Naughty Dog’s magnum opus; the result of years spent mastering its craft.

Gameblog - French - 10 / 10

Have we ever seen such a cutting sequel ? Seven years after the first episode, The Last of Us Part II is a true masterpiece, at every level : not only has Naughty Dog released a bigger, richer, longer and darker adventure, but its surprising story plays wickedly with the fans hopes, and question the very nature of roles, and what humanity should stand for. If only more AAA games could chosse for such strong choices despite the consequences, the media would surely be more interesting. Released at the very end of the PlayStation 4 cycle, The Last of Us Part II feels like the definitive synthesis of this generation.

Gamersky - Chinese - 10 / 10

Considered it's one of the most anticipated games in 2020, I knew the game would be great before I actually started. What really surprised me is it's even better than I have thought. The Last Of Us: Part II is not only the greatest masterpiece Naughty Dog has ever made but also the best story-driven video game of all time.

GamesRadar+ - 5 / 5 stars

Naughty Dog's PS4 swansong is an astonishing, absurdly ambitious epic that goes far and beyond what we could have imagined for a sequel to an all-time classic.

GamingTrend - 100 / 100

The Last of Us Part II is a stunningly beautiful and impeccably written story of family, consequences, horror, and loss. It pulls you in and holds tight, forging a deeper connection with Ellie, her fellow survivors, and the hostile world in which they live. From start to finish, this could be the best game on the PlayStation 4 -- ever.

God is a Geek - 10 / 10

A genuine work of art, The Last of Us Part II is Naughty Dog's best game, bravest story, and proof that games can put players through the emotional wringer. A compelling yet devastating masterpiece.

Guardian - 5 / 5 stars

This intense game set in a post-disaster world poses moral questions about the motivations for violence and is brilliantly acted by its human contributors

GuiltyBit - Spanish - 10 / 10

The Last of Us Part ii is a masterpiece. Ellie's final look at her predecessor did not indicate an end, but the beginning of an even starker story.

Hardcore Gamer - 5 / 5

The Last of Us left a memorable impression.

IGN - 10 / 10

The Last of Us Part 2 is a masterpiece that evolves the gameplay, cinematic storytelling, and rich world design of the original in nearly every way.

Impulsegamer - 5 / 5

The Last of Us Part II is finally here and if you're a fan of the original, the next chapter of the game is even more moving and riveting. For newcomers, it will make you want to play the original and best of all, there is a remastered version available. The  Last of Us Part II is also quite a well-crafted game from start to finish and whether its the perfect graphics, the clever world-building elements or the moving and powerful narrative, it all comes together and really makes you invested in the next chapter of Ellie.

M3 - Swedish - 5 / 5 stars

The Last of Us Part 2 is more than just an action game with narrative elements. It's a long, tumultuous story that keeps us amazed. A journey that shows on the most unpleasant aspects of humanity, but which nevertheless needs to be exposed. That's why The Last of Us Part 2 is the most important game of the year.

Next Gen Base - 10 / 10

The Last of Us Part 2 makes some bold moves. Whether it’s from a story perspective or a gameplay one, Naughty Dog haven’t been afraid to make some big leaps with this game. Fortunately, it’s almost all for the better, and the result is a game that is as diverse as it is challenging, with visuals that I can’t see being beaten until the new consoles hit, and a story that will raise some eyebrows but ultimately sticks the landing, in spite of how dark it can get. A magnificent example of what is capable in the medium of video games. We absolutely needed this sequel.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 10 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is an era-defining game; a perfect companion to the first that harmonizes with, rather than smothers, that original pivotal ending, crafting an unforgettable and emotionally challenging narrative with these beloved characters.

PlayStation Universe - 10 / 10

The Last of Us Part 2 is a frankly incredible achievement. Intertwining deep, richly written characters, cementing themes of consequence and loss all the while widening a world that was so well established in the first game, Naughty Dog have crafted one of the finest action adventures of all time and one that invariably stands as the most opulent jewel in an already glittering crown of first-party PlayStation 4 exclusives. A rip-roaring and emotional masterpiece that will be talked about for years to come, *this* is why more than 110 million people own a PlayStation 4.

Post Arcade (National Post) - 10 / 10

American game maker Naughty Dog has outdone itself with the long awaited follow-up to its seminal interactive storytelling masterpiece

Push Square - 10 / 10

The Last of Us: Part II adds a couple more inches to the already outrageously high bar that Naughty Dog has set for itself. This is the developer's crowning achievement to date, expanding and improving upon the concepts that it's been iterating on for over a decade now. Unparalleled presentation combines with an engaging gameplay loop that puts you in the shoes of its characters – and forces you to feel all of the tension and misgivings of its cast. It's uncomfortable and not everyone will necessarily enjoy its direction, but that's ultimately what makes it so essential.

Spaziogames - Italian - 10 / 10

The Last of Us - Part 2 is a poignant and devastating story about what remains of humanity. It is not just the best game of the year, but the most representative game of this generation.

Tech Advisor - 5 / 5 stars

The Last of Us Part II is not a perfect game, and it’s not even a particularly revolutionary one. But it is a great game.

Telegraph - 5 / 5 stars

Sony's big budget PS4 exclusive might actually surpass the achievements of its illustrious predecessor

TheSixthAxis - 10 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is a remorseless epic delivering in its masterful storytelling, nail-biting gameplay and unrivalled production values. Naughty Dog have truly surpassed themselves yet again, crafting a heartfelt sequel that will leave you gasping as they continue to raise the bar for the video game industry. It's yet another must-buy for PlayStation 4 owners, supercharging Sony's unstoppable stable of exclusives.

VG247 - 5 / 5 stars

When the credits rolled on The Last of Us Part 2 I was still buzzing from the excitement of the final few hours.

We Got This Covered - 5 / 5 stars

Although players will find themselves on a blood-soaked adventure that sends its characters on a violent and controversial quest for revenge, The Last of Us Part II feels like the next logical step in this story. Technically and narratively, it's easily one of the best games available for the PlayStation 4 -- if not the entire generation. Gaming doesn't get much better than this.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 99 / 100

After going through the valley of the shadow of death, The Last of Us Part II comes out as a wayfaring stranger from future days. It's a technical and narrative triumph that defies some of the most basic concepts of the video game. It's brutally beautiful and painfully violent, it's capable of the best and the worst. It's a masterpiece.

Atomix - Spanish - 98 / 100

One of the most outstanding video games of this generation

Geek Culture - 9.8 / 10

The Last of Us Part II justifies its existence with a truly stunning delivery of a strong narrative, coupled with great gameplay, and excellent worldbuilding.

Cerealkillerz - German - 9.7 / 10

Naughty Dog doesn't let anything open to wish for and delivers their next masterpiece with The Last of Us Part II. The amazingly well done staging of the story, breaches of taboos and the amount of new gameplay elements, as well as animations offers together one of the most exciting expierences of this console generation.

GamePro - German - 97 / 100

A gripping survival action adventure game with an exciting and emotional story that hits the heart and the stomach alike.

CultureJam - 95 / 100

The Last of Us: Part II doesn’t have the same punch that experiencing the first game did, but it is an excellent sequel.  Ellie has changed so much since we last saw her, and she changes more in front of us as you make your way through this horrifying landscape again.  Also clickers still suck and wusses like me may need to put the controller down from time to time.

Easy Allies - 9.5 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is an utterly essential tale about love and hate that takes a challenging look below the surface. *Review Copy Provided by PlayStation

GamesBeat - 95 / 100

The improvements that Naughty Dog made in gameplay and graphics showed that they were able to completely overhaul a system that wasn't all that bad to begin with, and the result was gameplay that kept me entertained even though it was the longest game that Naughty Dog had ever made. As I said, the action in this game is intense, grueling, and raw.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 95 / 100

Last of Us Part II has been a production that gushed from every corner and dragged the player to completely different feelings.

Oyungezer Online - Turkish - 9.5 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is a masterpiece, a unique experience that will be remembered for many years.

Paste Magazine - 9.5 / 10

I wish I could say something more eloquent than that I have an already immeasurable amount of love for The Last of Us Part II.

Press Start - 9.5 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is a spectacular sequel, it’s a brave and unexpected direction for the series, expanding on the world both narratively and mechanically, producing a far sounder and rounded experience that never falters or gets in the way of the game’s clear storytelling strength.

Sirus Gaming - 9.5 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is rather daring when it comes to its narrative. It tells a very mature tale of revenge and what the effects of civilization crashing down has brought on humanity. At times, it will push you out of your comfort zone as we see people being tortured, mutilated, and brutalized by even the protagonist herself.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9.5 / 10

The Last of Us – Part II delivers exactly what you've been expecting: adult storytelling and perfectly balanced gameplay. This game will give you shivers down the spine for nearly 30 hours and something to remember long after its end.

Wccftech - 9.5 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is bleak and at times leaves the player feeling hopeless as they play through one of the finest crafted pieces of gaming ever to grace a home console. This is one game that people will be talking about for a long time.

WellPlayed - 9.5 / 10

Featuring generation-defining game design, The Last of Us Part II is an unrivalled masterpiece that stumbles ever so slightly under its own ambitions

Worth Playing - 9.5 / 10

Play The Last of Us: Part 2.

AusGamers - 9.2 / 10

So being shackled to deviceless divulgence of the game's key drivers will be a challenge indeed, but it's one we're willing to take given The Last of Us Part II is arguably one of the year's biggest releases, and stands as something of a swansong for the <b>PlayStation 4</b> as we sit ready to slide into the next generation.

CGMagazine - 9 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is a perfectly paced emotional rollercoaster ride from start to finish and a worthy sequel that lives up to the original.

Gadgets 360 - 9 / 10

The Last of Us 2 delivers where it counts. It's oppressing, it's brutal, and it's a sucker punch, by way of the positions it puts you in to drive home what a change of perspective can do. As it's said, every villain is the hero of their own story — and vice versa.

GameByte - 9 / 10 stars

Whether you love or hate The Last of Us Part 2, it’s guaranteed to be a game that keeps people talking for years to come.

GameMAG - Russian - 9 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is the highest point of the PlayStation 4. The plot is controversial, but the game is incredible addictive adventure of Ellie, from which it is impossible to pull away from the opening and to the very end.

Gamerheadquarters - 9 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is the definitive technical achievement for the Playstation 4, it does a beautiful job of humanizing the characters as well as their perspectives.

Metro GameCentral - 9 / 10

A milestone in action video game storytelling and while the gameplay is not nearly as inspired, the experience as a whole is one of the best of the generation.

Nexus - 9 / 10

The Last of Us Part II delivers an emotional and well thought out story, all accompanied by great graphics, phenomenal voice acting, and sleek mechanics. It may not be Naughty Dog's finest, but it's one I cannot recommend enough for fans of the series.

Rocket Chainsaw - 4.5 / 5 stars

As a swan-song for the PS4, The Last of Us Part II is a belter

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 9 / 10

Is it one of the best PS4 exclusive games so far? Of course! But it's not flawless.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

An unforgettable experience that rivals some of the greatest classics in American cinema.

Spiel Times - 9 / 10

Sprawling, unrelenting, but always fascinating, The Last of Us Part II is a disturbingly effective fable.

Too Much Gaming - 9 / 10

It’s an appealing revenge story that many will love, hate, or at the very least appreciate. This is a game that may challenge your moral compass. I can foresee that this will be talked about by players for weeks, even months, making it a rare experience worth soldiering through.

USgamer - 4.5 / 5 stars

The Last of Us Part 2 is an outstanding action game; a darker, more introspective follow-up that seeks to challenge the conventions of big-budget action games. In this it's not always successful, but its execution is impeccable, and its story proves an appropriate bookend to the story of Joel and Ellie. In short, it's some of Naughty Dog's best work.

Video Chums - 9 / 10

While the end credits rolled, I felt hollow, hopeless, frustrated, and downright disgusted. I'll never play through it again. With that being said; there's no denying that what The Last of Us Part II accomplishes with its visuals, mood, and gameplay is nothing short of amazing.

VideoGamer - 9 / 10

Where it succeeds isn't in how close it scrapes to the level of prestige TV, or to films. Its coup is not, "Look how closely we can make games resemble highbrow art." It's more, "Look what previously fenced-off realms we can get interactivity into."

PowerUp! - 8.8 / 10

A fantastic stealth combat experience with an astonishing sense of place and character. It’s brave, bold, brutal, and unrelentingly bleak

Destructoid - 8.5 / 10

Like the original Last of Us, some people are going to come away underwhelmed, but the story beats and the characters driving them are the main draw. Part II doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it gives us a lasting glimpse of a unique broken world full of broken people that's worth visiting time and time again.

Glitched Africa - 8.5 / 10

Naughty Dog’s questionable marketing for The Last of Us Part II makes you believe one thing is happening in the game. However, it is not the case. There’s a lot more to love here than meets the eye. While the game’s plot has some major holes in it and never actually gets anywhere, the gameplay has seen a major improvement. It is also one of the most visually captivating games on the market and at times I could not believe it was running on the hardware. The Last Of Us Part II is a game you would want to play and you should. Even if it is once. It will play with your emotions and deliver some intense inner conflict. The series is known for. It is just a pity the plot was trying so hard to be outstanding it often feels rushed and forgettable.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

The Last of Us Part II is messy, bleak, and brutal.

New Game Network - 80 / 100

The Last of Us Part II offers more of the same great stealth gameplay, as you face overwhelming odds in increasingly challenging and haunting environments. But with an ambitiously structured narrative that doesn't pay off, and the new cast lacking chemistry, this adventure can't quite live up to its predecessor.

Stevivor - 8 / 10

If I’ve sounded at odds over The Last of Us Part 2, that’s because I am. It won’t only be polarising between players, it will be divisive with your own emotions. When looking at gameplay it’s best in class, but a host of design and narrative decisions truly bring it down.

Video Game Sophistry - 8 / 10

As the game reaches the top of what this generation of video games can do, it also shows the pitfalls of this AAA approach. The Last of Us Part 2 is in many ways at war with itself.  It achieves things that I have never experienced in a video game, but it is so tied to the tonal story, of hate and humanism that it punishes the player for doing anything that doesn’t follow this strict arch.

Game Revolution - 3.5 / 5 stars

The first half’s semi-aimless and methodical pacing drags in its latter half as it bites off more story than it can comfortably chew and then spends too many hours trying to flesh out each one of its many beats.

Ars Technica - Unscored

I don’t regret the time I spent back in the world of The Last of Us. But a big part of me was left wondering if its creators just should have left well enough alone.

Echo Boomer - Portuguese - Mind-blown

It’s violent, it’s raw, it’s shocking, but also sweet and full of love. It will break you and it will surprise you. It’s an absolute triumph.

Eurogamer - Essential

Can a slick, mainstream action game really reckon with the violence that drives it? The answer is yes - messily, but powerfully.

GameXplain - Mind-blown

Video Review - Quote not available

Kotaku - Unscored

So many people worked on this game for so long and at such cost, that I want The Last Of Us II to be more than the experience I had.

Player2.net.au - A-

The Last of Us: Part 2 is a brutal, bleak and relentless experience that gives players no chance to breathe or relax. At the same time, it is a game like no other and deserves to be played, if not enjoyed, by everyone with a Sony system

Polygon - Unscored

The Last of Us Part 2 delivers these moments of emotional whiplash over and over again.

Skill Up - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Thanks 3

It sounds like this game is more divisive than the review score would suggest.  While the majority of reviewers seem to love the game, there is a small minority (primarily critics at large sites that don't score their reviews) who found the games brutality overwhelming, and didn't find the story as compelling as the majority.

Kotaku: The Last of Us Part 2: The Kotaku Review

My playthrough of The Last of Us 2 felt terrible to experience. Over the course of my 27 hours with the game, it grew to the point of feeling nearly unbearable. This wasn’t because it asked me hard questions about my own capacity for harm or revenge, or pulled some Spec Ops: The Line-style moralizing about video game violence. Despite Druckmann’s promised “philosophical questions,” I never felt like the game asked me anything. Instead, it told me “brutality,” repeatedly and louder, until by the end I couldn’t hear what it was trying to say at all. Characters make hideous, irredeemable choices, over and over. Everybody suffers, physically and emotionally, in graphic detail. This is all intended to prove a point, but the only point I got from the game was simply to be required to stare at violence, and play through violence, and then do that again, and more, and again, and more.

A lot of this violence is just run-of-the-mill games violence, the kind I honestly don’t spend a lot of my time worrying about. The game’s world has been overtaken by a fungal infection that’s turned most of the population into zombies called Infected. They’re half-monster and half-plant, and they come in varieties that require different strategies. They’re terrifying and beautiful, and you respond to that beauty by knifing them in showers of blood and listening to them writhe and scream when you light them on fire with explosives. You also kill a lot of human enemies, whom the developers have given names and friends, and whose beliefs have led them to join one of two factions: the militant Washington Liberation Front or the religious Seraphites. Despite the factions’ ideological differences, they all die the same when you shotgun them in the face or nail them with an arrow. They cry in fear or call for the friends you’ve either killed or are about to. One faction has scent-tracking dogs—who you’ll also kill—who whine over their dead masters.

….

It’s difficult to talk about all of this a week before most of you reading can play the game for yourself. In a recent fawning piece in British GQ, Druckmann is quoted as saying, “There were people [at Naughty Dog]—a minority of them—that were just stuck on how violent it [the game] is and how dark and quite cynical it is about mankind.” That even the people who made the game are divided about it is a clear sign that players are going to have radically different experiences. The first game’s story was polarizing; this one’s will clearly be as well. So many people worked on this game for so long, and at such cost, that I want The Last Of Us 2 to be more than the experience I had. It’s a visually beautiful game that feels distinct to play, and the story it tells and how it tells it, at the most basic level, certainly pushes the edges of what games have done before. None of those accomplishments elevated or redeemed it for me. Like the nature consuming Seattle, or the outbreak consuming humanity, its ugliness overshadowed everything else.

Arstechnica: The Last of Us Part 2 review: A less confident, less focused sequel

Trying to extend the story of The Last of Us in a meaningful way was always going to be an uphill battle. What’s so frustrating about Part 2 is that the game seems to have all the pieces necessary to do just that. But those pieces end up getting lost as the game also tries to tell an entirely new story, one that tries to expand the Last of Us world into a generalized setting for an anthology of loosely connected stories. The end result never comes together in a satisfying way.

That doesn’t take away from the many enjoyable, memorable, and even emotional moments as Part 2’s barrels from promising start to messy conclusion. But it also serves as a marked comedown from the quiet, directed, self-contained confidence of the first game.

I don’t regret the time I spent back in the world of The Last of Us. But a big part of me was left wondering if its creators just should have left well enough alone.

Vice: 'The Last of Us Part II' Is a Grim and Bloody Spectacle, but a Poor Sequel

It is over two dozen hours of spiraling cycles of violence and vengeance, being reminded roughly every hour that the whole endeavor is squalid and cruel. There is hardly a moment of joy it will not eventually curdle. A truly shocking number of characters that you will come to care about will be gruesomely mutilated, or slaughtered, or both. All of it is utterly predictable, or if you’re feeling charitable, tragically fated.

But by the end, like the main characters of The Last of Us 2, I didn’t have much charity left to extend. The game’s operatic tone and length can’t obscure the simplicity of the themes it repeats to exhaustion, and its grandiosity is poorly served by a Naughty Dog house style that has become less a signature than a straitjacket.

….

The Last of Us Part II feels complacent, yet also preoccupied with its predecessor. Every facet of the original game has been expanded and enlarged in the sequel, but not actually improved. It is as if its only inspiration is the original game, and the well of pop culture it was drawing from. There is practically nothing here we haven’t seen and done repeatedly throughout previous Naughty Dog games. It sets out to surpass its predecessor, but the only meaningful contrast between them is in its even more oppressive bleakness and violence. It digs two graves, fills them with blood, and then just fucking wallows in them.

Polygon: The Last of Us Part 2 review: We’re better than this

The Last of Us Part 2 luxuriates in depicting the best parts of being alive in a way that’s somewhat rare, even in games with this kind of budget and scope. The game depicts characters falling in love, discovering a well-hidden post-apocalyptic weed stash, and trying to come up with the worst possible puns. Ellie and her best friend (and crush) Dina live in the walled-off area of Jackson County, Wyoming, with a community of human survivors, along with Joel, his brother Tommy, and Dina’s ex-boyfriend Jesse. They have something close to an actual, relatively safe home during a time when such a thing seems almost impossible, and one night they share a very public kiss during a barn dance attended by most of the community.

Things don’t go well for them after that.

That’s because The Last of Us Part 2 also luxuriates in its depictions of pain, suffering, and death. An older man at the barn dance interrupts the girls’ tender moment to spit at Dina, telling her that she’s a “loud-mouthed dyke,” just like Ellie. Now, if Ellie lost her cool and attacked this guy, I’d get it. She doesn’t, however, so I’m not sure what the moment actually accomplishes, other than to remind us that people are still homophobic after the apocalypse.

….

But when the game gave me more and more information about Ellie’s opponents, painting them as fully realized humans who also deserved to live, the effort felt wasted. I was already convinced that Ellie was handling things the wrong way, and that Joel had made a terrible mistake in the first game. The Last of Us Part 2 didn’t need to force me to kill a dog in order to get me to see that it’s bad to kill dogs. But, of course, it still made me do that. Just to be sure I really got it. I felt annoyed, not reflective. Like, come on, you think I need this much convincing? Does Naughty Dog think we’re all out here killing dogs, unaware that doing so is a horrific cruelty?

This story seems to think I need to experience ridiculous levels of virtual violence in order to believe that maybe, just maybe, Ellie should have learned a little more about her enemies’ personal situations and motivations before slamming a baseball bat into their skulls.

Playing The Last of Us Part 2, a game that supposes that humans will enact violence upon one another to their dying breaths, is a very strange thing in 2020. Naughty Dog created a world in which people across America react to a massive structural crisis by dividing and disconnecting from others, rather than uniting together to demand something better — not just for themselves, but for the most marginalized people in their communities.

The Last of Us Part 2 depicts individual people who are instead ruthless, capable, yet self-absorbed, and whose perception of violence is limited to how it affects them and their chosen family members. They are almost unbelievably unable to see the bigger picture. Part 2 ends up feeling needlessly bleak, at a time when a nihilistic worldview has perhaps never been less attractive. Its characters are surviving, but they’re not learning, and they’re certainly not making anything better.

Maybe the most surprising thing that The Last of Us Part 2 offered me was the surety that, while the game was made with great skill and craft, we are actually much, much better than Naughty Dog thinks we are.

Again, this game is getting overwhelmingly positive reviews.  However, I think I will give this game a pass -- at least until we get to a place where I am in a better frame of mind (and I can play a game without my kids/wife walking in mid-way through).

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It sounds like this game is more divisive than the review score would suggest.  While the majority of reviewers seem to love the game, there is a small minority (primarily critics at large sites that don't score their reviews) who found the games brutality overwhelming, and didn't find the story as compelling as the majority.

Kotaku: The Last of Us Part 2: The Kotaku Review

Arstechnica: The Last of Us Part 2 review: A less confident, less focused sequel

Vice: 'The Last of Us Part II' Is a Grim and Bloody Spectacle, but a Poor Sequel

Polygon: The Last of Us Part 2 review: We’re better than this

Again, this game is getting overwhelmingly positive reviews.  However, I think I will give this game a pass -- at least until we get to a place where I am in a better frame of mind (and I can play a game without my kids/wife walking in mid-way through).

I love Bojack Horseman, but during the beginning of the pandemic when everything was uncertain and stay-at-home orders were being issued en masse, it wasn't one of the showed I considered when looking for feel good shows. :p 

That said, I'm feeling normal now, so I'm not too concerned with being shocked. ymmv

Horrifying depictions of violence can lend poignance to 2 hour movies but probably wear thin over the course of a 25 hour game. I do kind of worry that the game will discourage those who would be affected by its intended message and be loved by those who luxuriate in its violence. 

19 minutes ago, Moa said:

Horrifying depictions of violence can lend poignance to 2 hour movies but probably wear thin over the course of a 25 hour game. I do kind of worry that the game will discourage those who would be affected by its intended message and be loved by those who luxuriate in its violence. 

Thats pretty much what Skill Up said, the violence and tone was overwhelmingly oppressive.  

It's interesting that the Polygon and Kotaku reviews are rather scathing in comparison to most others.  Even the Eurogamer "Essential" review, which is maybe the best I've read so far, is highly critical of the storytelling motives, while acknowledging what an incredible video game is.  All of the talk about how slow and methodical the actions are, which is why RDR2 is one of the worst games ever made, is making me twitch.

2 hours ago, Moa said:

That's on people, not the art. Fight Club, American History X, and many more films are easily misinterpreted by idiots but that's not their fault for being subtle in its messaging/themes or trying something different.

1 hour ago, Bloodporne said:

Can I go back to calling it self-serious and wallowing in misery to needlessly beat players over the head with an obvious message now? 

I mean, no? The reviews are outstanding, making it sound much more complex that as you present it here. A few reviews talk about the tone and violence being overwhelming, and so we write off an entire game that is otherwise outstanding because of that? Seems silly, petty even. :p 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, no? The reviews are outstanding, making it sound much more complex that as you present it here. A few reviews talk about the tone and violence being overwhelming, and so we write off an entire game that is otherwise outstanding because of that? Seems silly, petty even. :p 

I'm buying the fucking thing you heathen! I really like throwing bottles at people and beating them with bricks it turns out.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

I'm buying the fucking thing you heathen! I really like throwing bottles at people and beating them with bricks it turns out.

I think you should try to look at the positives in the game rather than this one potential negative and look forward to the game then, if you're buying it anyway. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

33 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That's on people, not the art. Fight Club, American History X, and many more films are easily misinterpreted by idiots but that's not their fault for being subtle in its messaging/themes or trying something different.

Have you played the game?  If not, you're calling out a bunch of people based on them having different opinions than the herd.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Have you played the game?  If not, you're calling out a bunch of people based on them having different opinions than the herd.

I'm saying to not let some criticism of what appears to be otherwise complete agreement by critics that the game is otherwise amazing (in terms of music, gameplay, direction, etc.; everything unrelated to the tone or violence). In what way am I calling anyone out?

I'ts a ND game, it was going to get it's knob slobbed regardless. Now I happen to like the UC games and TLOU so I'm sure TLOU2 is fine. Maybe it's not really a 96 MC game or whatever it's at, but it will still be considered a great game by millions of people. 

Random question, do new PS4 controllers come with a cord to charge them? I'm not sure what problem I'm having as my controller was working, but multiple charger cords haven't been working. So not sure if a new controller would work or not. 

But as an aside my GF bought me a Switch arriving Wednesday but just the system so now I gotta get the pro controller and buy some games, so looks like my impulse decision to buy this is on hold. 

Not checking the reviews beyond the scores and I haven’t checked the spoilers but if people are expecting a narrative deeper than “what if the virus is violence” from Naughty Dog... I dunno what games they’ve been playing. :p

Can’t wait to play it tho. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Not checking the reviews beyond the scores and I haven’t checked the spoilers but if people are expecting a narrative deeper than “what if the virus is violence” from Naughty Dog... I dunno what games they’ve been playing. :p

Can’t wait to play it tho. 

Doing my best to try to do the same. I think the ones that are primarily not reviewing it well are the types to inject their political opinions and think that every game needs to be politically correct within the current culture. While I can understand them feeling that way, and being annoyed/bothered if a game and its story are contrarian to their beliefs I really just want to know if the game is good.