The Last of Us Part II OT - Best Served Cold, update: the story behind the game's realistic facial animations (PlayStation Blog)

SaysWho?

I too have been in photo mode quite a few times with the game and have been like, "Wow, the facial expressions actually convey something."

While playing as Abby, go into photo mode while she's up high.  You can see the sheer terror in her eyes due to her phobia.

• 9 months later...
37 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Did you actually beat it?

Yeah, took me 35 hours according to the in game timer so was a bit slow I guess. It’s such an epic game, the first half could have been one game and the second it’s sequel or at least it’s lost legacy style expansion (i wonder if that was an idea earlier on). 

Ahhhh it wouldn’t end when you hit the last parts, I just wanted the damn credits to roll so I know

lev is safe

lol. They really went places with the story and playing this a bit late here...people were really mad about

playing as Abby? They are by far the superior character to Ellie, who is a monster, and they are actually like-able not full blown sociopaths. That shit seriously must have just been dudes upset a girl has muscular arms, man dudes are fragile.

Also

YOU’RE MY PEOPLE

fucking GOT me, might be the second time I legit teared up a little in a video game.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Yeah, took me 35 hours according to the in game timer so was a bit slow I guess. It’s such an epic game, the first half could have been one game and the second it’s sequel or at least it’s lost legacy style expansion (i wonder if that was an idea earlier on). 

Ahhhh it wouldn’t end when you hit the last parts, I just wanted the damn credits to roll so I know

Hide contents

lev is safe

lol. They really went places with the story and playing this a bit late here...people were really mad about

Hide contents

playing as Abby? They are by far the superior character to Ellie, who is a monster, and they are actually like-able not full blown sociopaths. That shit seriously must have just been dudes upset a girl has muscular arms, man dudes are fragile.

Also

Hide contents

YOU’RE MY PEOPLE

fucking GOT me, might be the second time I legit teared up a little in a video game.

I definitely need to replay that game. That's awesome you finally got to experience it.

It’s such a huge game but it’s never filler, it just keeps moving. Definitely made me more uncomfortable than most games too, it’s tense AF. And just jaw dropping beautiful so often, the beauty of the world was kind of the relief throughout it.

Really no major complaints besides I would have liked dualsense and 4k for the ps5 version, just a fucking phenomenal game, they nailed it.

I'm playing it again with the update and I'm still on Ellie's part but yeah I don't know how anyone thinks Abby is better than Ellie. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. 

Spoiler

I get that Joel is a shitty person and deserved to die, but Abby literally dedicates her life to finding and killing him, breaks from her group to go find and kill him, Joel saves her life, and she brutally tortures him to death anyway. Ellie sees the end of this and wants revenge on the one who killed her father figure. Also, the game makes it pretty clear the WLF are shitty people and that Abby has been part of their shittiness. Just because she reluctantly saves a trans kid  and has a fear of heights doesn't make her likeable. And you only like Abby because the game spends the entire second half bendng over backwards trying to get you to like her. Everyone blames Ellie for everything in this game which is bullshit, Abby's actions are what get all of her friends killed. 

Ellie>Abby and I'll die on that hill. 

8 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I'm playing it again with the update and I'm still on Ellie's part but yeah I don't know how anyone thinks Abby is better than Ellie. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. 

Hide contents

I get that Joel is a shitty person and deserved to die, but Abby literally dedicates her life to finding and killing him, breaks from her group to go find and kill him, Joel saves her life, and she brutally tortures him to death anyway. Ellie sees the end of this and wants revenge on the one who killed her father figure. Also, the game makes it pretty clear the WLF are shitty people and that Abby has been part of their shittiness. Just because she reluctantly saves a trans kid  and has a fear of heights doesn't make her likeable. And you only like Abby because the game spends the entire second half bendng over backwards trying to get you to like her. Everyone blames Ellie for everything in this game which is bullshit, Abby's actions are what get all of her friends killed. 

Ellie>Abby and I'll die on that hill. 

Couple things

Joel isn't just a bad person, he probably caused more damage easily than anyone else alive. He set back the entire human race causing countless amount of deaths with what he did. Abby has her own issues and it's made clear in the game with how other people talk and how she even acknowledges herself she needs to start doing good. The thing is Ellie KNEW why she killed Joel, early on she knows exactly why they went after him and what Joel did but still continues this crusade. She is far more brutal than Abby, killing with less discretion, she has no cause, she is pure rage and violence.

Abby's motivation is at least also linked to the cause of trying to restore humanity and Joel not only killing her father but an attack on all human life.  Don't forget Abby let's Ellie go TWICE, once after killing everyone Abby loves, and Ellie STILL won't stop after Abby has moved on. You can also just look at how Abby is with Lev vs Ellie and Dina and the child. Abby is willing to leave everything behind to put the safety of Lev first and foremost. Ellie leaves behind her family after things should be settled and Abby is no threat whatsoever and tries again to kill her, because that's more important than any particualr person, whereas Lev is more important to Abby than killing Ellie, even just not having Lev witness the brutality was enough to make her stop. #teamAbbyButReallyMakeLevPlayableInPt3

• 1 month later...
Just now, stepee said:

Thanks for the bump, @BloodyHell apparently enjoyed my posts!

I agree with everything you said. I also liked Abby far more than Ellie, and that change happened shortly into my journey with Abby. Probably about the time you had to make your way down the huge spore infected building is when I really found her to be the better character.

• Like 1

Man, incels got so weirdly upset by the game that when I began playing it I expected there to be something else there, but it seems they are just mad Abby has big arms? It doesn’t really do anything wild on the social commentary front.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 12:00 PM, stepee said:

Hide contents

lev is safe

Hide contents

Also

Hide contents

YOU’RE MY PEOPLE

Completely agree on Elly. She's a terrible, hateful human being and Abby is a far better character and person.

• 3 weeks later...

@stepee I finally started this tonight. Holy fuck did I forget how amazing this game looks! It looks like I'm playing a ps5 game in development for a few years lol. I’m stunned and I love the gameplay of these types of games. I'll beat this again. I only put 3 hours in today but I can't wait to get back to it. So fucking impressive. 

19 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee I finally started this tonight. Holy fuck did I forget how amazing this game looks! It looks like I'm playing a ps5 game in development for a few years lol. I’m stunned and I love the gameplay of these types of games. I'll beat this again. I only put 3 hours in today but I can't wait to get back to it. So fucking impressive. 

Naughty Dog is one of the best. 

This game is spoiling me on so many levels. I've never seen characters so alive and so well acted in any videogame to date. The story is fantastic and has a great pace to it. The human connection that comes through here is stunning. Add incredible tense gameplay, the best visuals I've ever seen in a game, and I'm going to have a hard time moving on to other games. 

This game raises the bar in so many ways I'm floored. When I play I don't want to stop and that's extremely rare for me these days. I'm sure most on this forum played this but if you never did do yourself a favor and play this masterpiece. 

Moving on from this to Ghost of Tsushima Iki Island will be a tough transition. The sheer amount of detail in this game is staggering. What naughty dig will do with the PS5 will be something to see. 

I'm conflicted in who is the better person between Ellie and Abby. They both have their motivations but I don't think either of them are particularly good people. I feel bad for Ellie but I sympathize with Abby losing her father as well. I'm still playing and forget how this ends but I'm currently conflicted who I prefer as a character. 

What an incredible piece of entertainment. It's probably my favorite game from last gen. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm conflicted in who is the better person between Ellie and Abby. They both have their motivations but I don't think either of them are particularly good people. I feel bad for Ellie but I sympathize with Abby losing her father as well. I'm still playing and forget how this ends but I'm currently conflicted who I prefer as a character. 

What an incredible piece of entertainment. It's probably my favorite game from last gen. 

Its a great game and I agree neither are good people. While I didn't particularly care for Abby, the fact ND was willing to force players to walk a mile in her shoes shows some real balls. And for good or bad it shows how many "gamers" are really just troglodytes capable of using a controller .

On 11/8/2021 at 6:37 PM, best3444 said:

This game is spoiling me on so many levels. I've never seen characters so alive and so well acted in any videogame to date. The story is fantastic and has a great pace to it. The human connection that comes through here is stunning. Add incredible tense gameplay, the best visuals I've ever seen in a game, and I'm going to have a hard time moving on to other games. 

This game raises the bar in so many ways I'm floored. When I play I don't want to stop and that's extremely rare for me these days. I'm sure most on this forum played this but if you never did do yourself a favor and play this masterpiece. 

Moving on from this to Ghost of Tsushima Iki Island will be a tough transition. The sheer amount of detail in this game is staggering. What naughty dig will do with the PS5 will be something to see. 

I don't think a story got to me as much as this one did from last gen, which isn't a knock on other games that tried it. There were a lot of games that did cool things and showed an evolution in story-telling and dialogue from last gen, but what TLOUP2 did was next level for me.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:44 AM, SaysWho? said:

I don't think a story got to me as much as this one did from last gen, which isn't a knock on other games that tried it. There were a lot of games that did cool things and showed an evolution in story-telling and dialogue from last gen, but what TLOUP2 did was next level for me.

Agreed. This was true, next level cinematic storytelling in gameplay form. Amazing game.

I put 27 hours into this and it was probably the very best game I've ever played. It's a sequel to a game my identical twin brother and I loved back at the release. The ending to this made me cry because I know he would have loved to see this entire package. True emotions that you never see in a videogame. Absolutely incredible.

They could and I hope make a part 3 to maybe close loose ends. What Naughty Dog could do with the PS5 would be nothing short of stunning.