Average Cable Bill Exceeds All Other Utilities Combined

3 hours ago, SoberChef said:

In all reality, if she didn't work there, we would be a strictly streaming household all told. Even then, the internet wouldn't be all that cheap if I had to guess.

I'd still have TV. Need it for soccer and my mom. 

Though I don't get free service. 99.99 gets me phone, our top tv plan, and gigabit internet.

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

When I had Cox it was like $250 a month or something for the "bundle" which was supposed to save you money.

Now I only pay for the internet and Youtube TV (though I don't watch TV much)

Do I ever get bent over by Cox

Maybe that came out wrong. 

Anyway my bill is just under $200. When I moved here it was like $165. I thought they told me I had one year free of the movie channels, and my bill went up after being here for a year. I got lazy about it for a couple months but figured my bill went up because I was now paying for movie channels so I call to bitch about it and remove the movie channels or whatever. No I have "free" movie channels for 2 years. My bill just went up this year just because. So I said okay cancel the cable and just give me internet service. They said it would be $300 a month because I would no longer have any bundles to "save" me money. 

I really need to stop being lazy and cancel the cable and start a new plan under my girlfriends name so she gets the "new customer bundle savings" for a year. Between my cable and cell phone bill I pay $500 a month. Though part of that is I got last years fancy pants iphone for me and my gf and did the 2 year financing thing, so later this year that will drop $100. I'm keeping these damn phones until they break and just getting the cheap ones next time, for me they all do the same shit anyway. 

Somehow when I left CA I was only paying $100 a month for Time Warner/Spectrum or whatever it is now because they actually lowered my bill when I bitched. 

The other internet company out here has shit for speeds where I live, and is somehow considered worse with customer service, and I don't have any interest in the dumpster fire that is Directv. Is Dish shit too? I guess it doesn't matter because Cox has the only reliable internet where I live. 

We finally canceled cable just a couple months ago. A family member signed up for YouTube TV, and you can have multiple people with their own accounts in a family to share it with, so we've been using that and are mostly happy. Only issues have been a lack of AMC and whatever channel Ru Paul airs on.

Cable is overpriced, generally, IMO.  To be fair though, when comparing it to other 'utilities', your average cable bill is usually inclusive of multiple services that used to be traditionally billed separately.  Of course wrapping your television, Internet, and home telephone into one bill is going to make that bill higher.  And that gulf is going to continue to widen as more cable-delivered services (home security, 2nd party streaming, mobile, etc.)  start being offered more widely and bundling options increase.

21 hours ago, Dodger said:

The other internet company out here has shit for speeds where I live, and is somehow considered worse with customer service, and I don't have any interest in the dumpster fire that is Directv. Is Dish shit too? I guess it doesn't matter because Cox has the only reliable internet where I live. 

Say Hi to BSJ for me!

Fuck Cable. 

I pay $50 for internet, plus Netflix and Amazon Prime. I have an OTA antenna for local TV. But man, a lot of people can't do this. My mom has been trying to cut costs and she just gave up because OTA isn't available where she is (way out in a rural area). So she just bundled again. 

$100 after taxes for Verizon Fios gigabit, tv, and phone. After pricing everything out, it was cheaper to stay with Verizon. After the two year contract, we just switch the name on the account and sign up for another 2 year deal as a new customer. 

The AVERAGE cable bill is $217? Which means there are people out there paying even more than that. Who are these people? What are they watching?

I pay $70 for Comcast gigabit. Unfortunately it's only a year promo, so I'll have to decrease around September. Other than that, I bum Netflix off my parents, split Sling with my brother, I do have Prime that I pay for, and anything else I just buy the blu ray.

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

Fuck Cable. 

I pay $50 for internet, plus Netflix and Amazon Prime. I have an OTA antenna for local TV. But man, a lot of people can't do this. My mom has been trying to cut costs and she just gave up because OTA isn't available where she is (way out in a rural area). So she just bundled again.

I've been signing up for CBS All Access while Discovery and Picard are going but I mostly just torrent the handful of shows I care about. And now that I'm on the west coast I can generally be watching an 8 PM show by ~6:15 and a 9 PM show by ~7:15 (and Doctor Who super early in the day), since the torrents all go off the first airings, which means using the east coast airing.

I had live TV for a year a few years ago after several years of not having it because it was one of those situations where taking a triple play bundle was cheaper than just signing up for internet, and I went back to torrenting quickly because of how horrible it is to watch TV with ad breaks.

1 minute ago, Bjomesphat said:

The AVERAGE cable bill is $217? Which means there are people out there paying even more than that. Who are these people? What are they watching?

I mean, if we're talking non-promotional pricing you're looking at what, $70/mo for Internet + probably $60/mo for one of the lower tier TV packages + $20/mo for home phone service.  So you're in the neighborhood of $150/mo right there and that's before all the taxes and regulatory fees and equipment rentals and such.  Then throw in extra premium channels, Pay-Per-Views, etc...I can easily see bills getting well north of $200.

On 3/12/2020 at 8:17 AM, Slug said:

Cable is overpriced, generally, IMO.  To be fair though, when comparing it to other 'utilities', your average cable bill is usually inclusive of multiple services that used to be traditionally billed separately.  Of course wrapping your television, Internet, and home telephone into one bill is going to make that bill higher.  And that gulf is going to continue to widen as more cable-delivered services (home security, 2nd party streaming, mobile, etc.)  start being offered more widely and bundling options increase.

I believe they are only talking about cable specifically.  Many pay up to $150 for cable alone.  

YouTube TV — $50

AT&T 1000 Mbps fiber — $60

Netflix 4K— $3 (T-Mobile)

Yeah, DirecTV tried to get me to come back the other day, and with “ALL” their discounts applied, it was still around $120/month. Just for TV. No thanks. 

Also, I’m never getting another TV service that requires hardware and installation. Cable providers (or the classic service as such) will be going the way of Blockbuster sooner rather than later. 

People still do cable beyond internet? I was getting bent over by cox for subpar internet for $90/month, but even that is way lower. Even with my internet video subscriptions I'm quite a bit under.

And now I have gigabit up/down FIOS for $80 a month.

On 3/13/2020 at 4:22 PM, Emblazon said:

YouTube TV — $50

AT&T 1000 Mbps fiber — $60

Netflix 4K— $3 (T-Mobile)

Yeah, DirecTV tried to get me to come back the other day, and with “ALL” their discounts applied, it was still around $120/month. Just for TV. No thanks. 

Also, I’m never getting another TV service that requires hardware and installation. Cable providers (or the classic service as such) will be going the way of Blockbuster sooner rather than later. 

How does YouTube TV work? Does it have some kind of DVR type thing?

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

How does YouTube TV work? Does it have some kind of DVR type thing?

The DVR is glorious and possibly the best DVR on the market. It’s unlimited DVR (I believe it retains recordings for 6 months). You go to what you want to record and it’s a one button press to record everything. No setting up times or anything like that. 

On 3/13/2020 at 4:37 PM, legend said:

People still do cable beyond internet? I was getting bent over by cox for subpar internet for $90/month, but even that is way lower. Even with my internet video subscriptions I'm quite a bit under.

And now I have gigabit up/down FIOS for $80 a month.

When I did FiOS in DC there was initially a triple play bundle where taking TV and phone on top of internet was cheaper than just internet for the first year. I took the TV setup but told the installer to just do the bare minimum on setting up the phone and that I was literally never going to use the phone line.

Since I had it I tried watching Mad Men live for a couple of weeks and the experience with ads was so fucking atrocious that I promptly went back to torrenting it.

6 hours ago, Emblazon said:

The DVR is glorious and possibly the best DVR on the market. It’s unlimited DVR (I believe it retains recordings for 6 months). You go to what you want to record and it’s a one button press to record everything. No setting up times or anything like that. 

I shared it with my mom (I only used the DVR once) and she said if you follow a show it automatically adds all seasons (or the full season) of the show to that point