~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

What is full expensing?

It has to do with deducting tax liability on investment in the present year instead of over time. Theoretically it encourages businesses to spend money now...but tax liability isn’t the main reason that businesses make investment decisions, so it mostly just decreases tax revenue in the short term.

Hispanic, black workers far more likely to be laid off during pandemic

Hispanics are nearly twice as likely as whites to have lost their jobs amid the coronavirus shutdowns, according to a Washington Post-Ipsos poll, underlining that the pandemic is wreaking a disproportionate toll on some racial and ethnic groups.

The poll finds that 20 percent of Hispanic adults and 16 percent of blacks report being laid off or furloughed since the outbreak began in the United States, compared with 11 percent of whites and 12 percent of workers of other races.

Now, this could largely be a direct function of the disproportionate concentration of Latin-American and African-American workers in economic sectors significantly impacted by the lockdown rather than solely good ol' American racism.

11 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Hispanic, black workers far more likely to be laid off during pandemic

Now, this could largely be a direct function of the disproportionate concentration of Latin-American and African-American workers in economic sectors significantly impacted by the lockdown rather than solely good ol' American racism.

But why are they concentrated in those sectors?

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-job-losses-hit-these-3-states-the-hardest-153251227.html
"Comparing each state’s average weekly jobless claims totals over the past six weeks to the week before shutdowns started occurring, reveals Georgia, Florida, and Alabama to be the three states showing the largest percentage spike in people applying for unemployment benefits. Georgia in particular saw jobless claims average a nearly 5,000% spike versus the week ending March 14. Florida and Alabama saw slightly less dramatic peaks, with claims surging about 4,000%."

:dumpster_fire:

spacer.png

Spent all day on the phone with folks from WME, UTA, Paradigm, and Live Nation. At this rate I’ll have to stop bothering with movies for the summer :lol:

I know the market is "forward looking", but this is the biggest disconnect between economic reality and equity pricing I've ever seen. Fear of missing out is playing a huge role along with the Fed. The question is if this is sustainable. Unexpected trends of bankruptcies could spell another sell off. Maybe the equity recovery will look like a W.

35 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/business/small-businesses-loans-ppp-coronavirus.html?referringSource=articleShare

A great article on how the PPP loans are a ticking time bomb. Mass defaults are incoming when businesses who took them can’t pay them

back and don’t get them forgiven. What a ridiculous program to begin with, and even more poorly executed.

Yup it’s a joke and every bank that deals with the SBA on a regular basis knew it would be. 

14 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Spent all day on the phone with folks from WME, UTA, Paradigm, and Live Nation. At this rate I’ll have to stop bothering with movies for the summer :lol:

There's a lot of land in this area not too far out from nova hipsters lmk if you want to franchise.

Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris, and Ed Markey propose a monthly stipend until the pandemic is over: $2000 a month

Senator Kamala Harris, of California, is joining former primary opponent Senator Bernie Sanders, of Vermont, and Senator Ed Markey, of Massachusetts, in trying to provide an additional monthly income boost to Americans who make under $120,000 a year, as they face financial pressures during the coronavirus pandemic. The trio introduced new legislation Friday that would provide every individual with an annual income under $120,000 with $2,000 per month until the COVID-19 crisis is over. 

Children and other dependents can also be recipients of the proposed tax rebate program. It would retroactively pay recipients from March 2020 until three months after the secretary of health and human services determines that the public health emergency has ended.

"The CARES Act gave Americans an important one-time payment, but it's clear that wasn't nearly enough to meet the needs of this historic crisis." Harris said in a statement. "The Monthly Economic Crisis Support Act will ensure families have the resources they need to make ends meet. I am eager to continue working with Senators Sanders and Markey as we push to pass this bill immediately."

This is one of several COVID-19 related proposals Harris has introduced while she's been rumored to be a potential vice presidential pick for presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden. She's been tied lately to other progressive favorites besides Sanders and Markey, too. Earlier this week, Harris joined Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley, Democrat of Massachusetts, in introducing The Saving Our Street Act legislation, aimed at ensuring that businesses that have fewer than 10 employees receive grants of up to $250,000. Last week, Congressoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez introduced Harris' Pandemic Disaster Assistance Act.

I like this Kamala Harris better.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Amash's plan is the best and most simple:  Cash payments to everyone regardless of past income and current employment status.  Anyone who doesn't "deserve" the payment will pay it back next year on their taxes. 

Question for the smart people, because my understanding of the national debt is elementary:

Realistically, what are the risks of it growing? Inflation is obvious, but when you have a massive deflationary event like mass unemployment, that seems mitigated. But my rote understanding of it is that only foreign-held debt is bad (which is not the majority of it), and that as long as there is domestic appetite for Treasury securities (which there almost always will be), you can more or less refinance the debt indefinitely. 

14 minutes ago, rc0101 said:

The amount of businesses that received PPP that didn't need it is a staggering amount I am sure. The feds have threatened penalties for fraud but I have doubt much comes of it. 

I do think the Churches might need it though. RC Churches rely on donations and the collection plates. You can't hold service at this point and time. Plus they do have secretaries and such. 

I'd hate for my local Church to close down. Been going on/off since it was tied to my elementary school.