~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Can't imagine it's too long before employers use this as an excuse to slash white collar salaries "because you can work from anywhere!"

Google employees have been cut off from the free food so that's already a pretty big de facto pay cut.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

Google employees have been cut off from the free food so that's already a pretty big de facto pay cut.

Same for facebook and a lot of these companies. A lot of tech companies are going to come to the realization that WFH is much cheaper and produces similar results. 

58 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Same for facebook and a lot of these companies. A lot of tech companies are going to come to the realization that WFH is much cheaper and produces similar results. 

Unfortunately a lot of companies have middle-management bloat, and those people will be the ones resisting permanent WFH. "Durr how can you manage someone if you're not in the same room with them, durr."

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I see everybody using the laugh reaction but seriously think about it: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/google-tells-employees-not-to-expense-food-perks-in-work-from-home.html

They have gyms they're currently not being allowed access to. I think they're allowed to save food from the cafeteria which means they could have potentially been eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner all from the cafeteria if they were saving food to take home. Having to go from only buying food for the weekends to having to buy all of your own food isn't something to sneeze at.

5 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Oh no those poor six figure earning tech bros

I wasn't saying to feel bad for them. It's unfortunate that talking about it is going to immediately elicit eye rolls because I do think there's an interesting point to explore. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I wasn't saying to feel bad for them. It's unfortunate that talking about it is going to immediately elicit eye rolls because I do think there's an interesting point to explore. 

There's a story there on the unfortunate chef's and other kitchen workers who have to go back to the kitchens of SF instead of the gilded dining halls of silicon valley

11 hours ago, chakoo said:

I've been saying that for weeks now.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I worked at RIOT games for a year and I'll tell you that those free meals definitely allowed you to save a lot of money. It wasn't just "The six figure tech bros" who benefitted from those perks either. The security guards, cleaning staff and support staff (of which there were A LOT on a campus that size) saved a lot of money on food too. 

17 hours ago, Jason said:

I see everybody using the laugh reaction but seriously think about it: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/google-tells-employees-not-to-expense-food-perks-in-work-from-home.html

They have gyms they're currently not being allowed access to. I think they're allowed to save food from the cafeteria which means they could have potentially been eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner all from the cafeteria if they were saving food to take home. Having to go from only buying food for the weekends to having to buy all of your own food isn't something to sneeze at.

I’m having sort of these reverse. When going to the office I end up getting lunch from places near by. At home I’ve been cooking or

making sandwiches. I have been saving a ton of money each week in food by comparison. 

19 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Unfortunately a lot of companies have middle-management bloat, and those people will be the ones resisting permanent WFH. "Durr how can you manage someone if you're not in the same room with them, durr."

tenor.gif

I've seen so many middle and upper management types say that, my current company has coworking spaces all over the office, it still doesn't stop higher management types from grumbling when there aren't enough people in their cubes.  Thankfully a lot of them got purged last year and the new group very much wants to scale down the physical offices.

edit: Plus covid kind of forced their hand

7 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I've seen so many middle and upper management types say that, my current company has coworking spaces all over the office, it still doesn't stop higher management types from grumbling when there aren't enough people in their cubes.  Thankfully a lot of them got purged last year and the new group very much wants to scale down the physical offices.

edit: Plus covid kind of forced their hand

Our school division has been pushing for a brand-new HQ for a few years, which is a giant waste. My Dept (IT) is the only one that does WFH, but there are 100+ office staff that could, but weren't allowed. So when they were trying to design a new HQ, they wanted an office or cubicle for every single person. We were like, you could save 1/2 the space with WFH, and here's how, but they do don't care. Anyway, when the pandemic but we managed to get all the staff working from home within a week, along with 1,300 teachers and support staff. The board was amazed, and now it looks like the new HQ will be harder to justify, thank god.

They actually tried to get rid of our WFH in the winter because other staff were jealous. What a bunch of maroons.

1 hour ago, SlipperySlope said:

A lot of narcissists are in upper management and director levels and they think a giant fancy palacial office would look good on them rather than considering what works for the organization.

You can have a thousand vice presidents and managing directors, but all that matters is the guy with the biggest office

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You can have a thousand vice presidents and managing directors, but all that matters is the guy with the biggest office

Dude my title just gets longer lol but the biggest title is still CEO. Senior Director Lead Principal Director of Leadership of Department of Leading.

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Brilliant idea!

The argument for Republicans will probably be, "By the time you retire we'll definately have destroyed Social Security, so why not get a little of it now while you still can."

And the tragic thing about that argument is that it may not be wrong.

5 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

He’s just the first recent ex-president to get caught speaking badly about his successor. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The downside here is, now Donald can claim precedent when he goes in tirades in Twitter and Tv about any and every one of his successors. Not that it would stop him had this not come out.  

WHO. GiVES. A. FUCk? Trump has shattered so many norms and wiped his big orange ass with the constitution that Obama's accurate and frankly tame criticism of him should be the least of our concerns.  Trump really has taken the term "bully pulpit" to a whole new level to the point that people are actually afraid to speak out against him for fear of a fucking tweet??? Fuck that guy and fuck his supporters. 

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

WHO. GiVES. A. FUCk? Trump has shattered so many norms and wiped his big orange ass with the constitution that Obama's accurate and frankly tame criticism of him should be the least of our concerns.  Trump really has taken the term "bully pulpit" to a whole new level to the point that people are actually afraid to speak out against him for fear of a fucking tweet??? Fuck that guy and fuck his supporters. 

I just hate relinquishing any moral high ground in the political narrative, even if it’s just an inch to that fat fuck and anyone that supports him. 

9 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I just hate relinquishing any moral high ground in the political narrative, even if it’s just an inch to that fat fuck and anyone that supports him. 

Wanting to retain the "moral high ground" is why liberals lose.  Absolutely no one cares about it, nor should they.

It's the equivalent of brandishing a dull butter knife while the other side is more than willing to use thermonuclear weapons.

American liberals need to get over the "moral high ground" and treat politics as war.

13 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Moral high ground? Seriously??? :lol: You think that matters in today's politics? Progressives' need to maintain an image of moral superiority (as superficial as that moral superiority is in a society as hypocritical as modern America's) is EXACTLY why they can't get anything REAL done and why what little progress that has been made is slowly but surely being eroded. It's like I've always said... only a liberal progressive can see a whole series of losses as "wins" because of the "Moral high ground". 

5 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Wanting to retain the "moral high ground" is why liberals lose.  Absolutely no one cares about it.  

It's the equivalent of brandishing a dull butter knife while the other side is more than willing to use thermonuclear weapons.

American liberals need to get over the "moral high ground" and treat politics as war.

Also This.