~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

54 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I just hate relinquishing any moral high ground in the political narrative, even if it’s just an inch to that fat fuck and anyone that supports him. 

I really don't want to seem that I'm picking on you because I promise I'm not, but this has allowed the American right -- which I can assure you is NOT like the "normal" right in just about any other industrialized country -- to shift the Overton window so far over in their direction that the only way to get it back to anything resembling the center is to push for as left-wing policies as you can imagine.

For starters, the American Left should just drop the vapid, meaningless, nebulous term "progressive".  The word tells me absolutely nothing about what political ends are being desired.

I feel like Democrat’s can be more aggressive, try harder to win, without some of the same shit Republicans use. And even if democrats do have to fight a little dirty, this gained Democrat’s NOTHING, which annoys me even more. It’s not like if they locked Republican state congressmen in a closet and voted to unfuck gerrymandered districting. This was just somebody getting a pay day by selling the sound bite to the press, is going “well yeah”, and them having something to rail about. 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/biggest-u-s-solar-project-approved-in-nevada-despite-critics

The Trump administration announced final approval Monday of the largest solar energy project in the U.S. and one of the biggest in the world despite objections from conservationists who say it will destroy thousands of acres of habitat critical to the survival of the threatened Mojave desert tortoise in Nevada.

The $1 billion Gemini solar and battery storage project about 30 miles (48 kilometers) northeast of Las Vegas is expected to produce 690 megawatts of electricity — enough to power 260,000 households — and annually offset greenhouse emissions of about 83,000 cars.

It will create about 2,000 direct and indirect jobs and inject an estimated $712.5 million in the economy as the nation tries to recover from the downturn brought on by the coronavirus outbreak, Interior Secretary David Bernhardt said.

“As our economy rebounds from the invisible enemy, President Trump is working to make the United States stronger than ever before,” Bernhardt said Monday. “Our economic resurgence will rely on getting America back to work and this project delivers on that objective.”

The first phase of the project covering about 11 square miles (28 sq. km) of federal land is expected to be completed next year with 440 MW of solar capacity for use in Nevada. Another 250 MW of generating capacity would be added in the second phase with the power sold in Nevada or exported to Arizona and California in 2022.

It’s brutal right now, and there is legitimately no reason to have confidence in our government to create a sensible plan to help.

42 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6156333364001/?playlist_id=3166411554001#sp=show-clips

I was annoyed they didn’t ask me any of the stuff from the pew interview session because I had a LOT of D1P references ready to work in. Bastards.

Oh man, thank god you didn't have the same accent as the anchor, that would have messed up the image I had of you in my head when I read your posts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Oh man, thank god you didn't have the same accent as the anchor, that would have messed up the image I had of you in my head when I read your posts.

I have the Houston kinda-no-accent accent

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

Yeah I just can't understand why people want to re-open and get back to work. 

I do wonder the correlation between those protesting and those most affected by the pandemic. I have a gut feeling there isn't much correlation, but I am curious to see the data.

9 minutes ago, Jose said:

I do wonder the correlation between those protesting and those most affected by the pandemic. I have a gut feeling there isn't much correlation, but I am curious to see the data.

Minority owned businesses and labor have been worst affected, but the protests are only slightly less white than a Klan rally.

i saw something earlier that locking everyone down isn't really the best method, and that the most effective parts of the lockdown have been sending the kids home from school, banning large gatherings, and then doing whatever you can in nursing homes to spare those people. Basically preventing you from going best Buy and then going to Chili's isn't making a big impact.

I Definitely think there is room for some middle ground here and should work to re-opening with sensible restrictions. Like packing in Disneyland and sporting events and concerts and what not is still out for the time being, and continue to encourage those who can work from home to do so. But let people get back to Applebees with reduced capacity probably isn't going to kill us all. 

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Restaurants won't make it at 50% capacity, and you still will have massive unemployment

You got me, we'll just all hide in our houses for the rest of the year while hoping our great government will come through and take care of us. 

Just as a thought experiment, what if I state re-opened, and everyone didn't die?

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Restaurants won't make it at 50% capacity, and you still will have massive unemployment

Do you think he's actually considering the viability of businesses right now or is he just going through baby back rib withdrawals?

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

Do you think he's actually considering the viability of businesses right now or is he just going through baby back rib withdrawals?

I'm surprised you aren't out protesting so you can get back to your third wave coffee joints and that amazing Persian place around the corner. 

In most areas people can go to the hair salon or Best Buy or Chili's or whatever the fuck else they need to do without there being a massive spike in deaths. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Dodger said:

I'm surprised you aren't out protesting so you can get back to your third wave coffee joints and that amazing Persian place around the corner. 

In most areas people can go to the hair salon or Best Buy or Chili's or whatever the fuck else they need to do without there being a massive spike in deaths. 

I'm getting my third wave coffee delivered to my house, thank you very much! The horror!

9 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Give me shitty microwaved entrees or give me death!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jose said:

I'm getting my third wave coffee delivered to my house, thank you very much! The horror!

Hey do you have the problem when you order out and they leave the food at your door they don't even ring the damn door bell or knock to let you know they dropped it off? Only one guy had the sense to courtesy knock after leaving the food at the door so I know it's here. Fortunately the apps are good at telling you when you're shit is gonna arrive so it's only a slight delay but still, it would be nice to let me know it's here. 

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

What are you basing this on exactly? Countries that did a far better job than us containing the outbreak have reopened and are already seeing spikes in cases. Russia has gone from a relatively small amount of cases to to now being second only to the U.S. in Covid cases in a matter of weeks. How do you expect us to NOT have a sudden spike in cases when you can't even get some folks in this country to do something as benign as wear a mask in public? And BTW, I've been in Jersey during this whole pandemic experience and have STILL been going in and out of NY to got to work (being an essential worker and all) and Best Buy is still open here. They do curbside pick up and it's working out fine, or you can line up to go into the store on a limited bases. I was just there Saturday and they seem to be doing decent business. As far as hair salons and restaurants... yeah I don't think having someone breath on you for a fucking haircut during a highly communicable pandemic caused by a virus that is transmitted through the respiratory system is a good idea. Most restaurants are doing deliveries and take out.

Now could some states and areas reopen due to their number of cases? Sure. But we can't do it blindly and until you have a decent testing and tracing system in place, you'll just be repeating this same cycle of opening and closing until a vaccine is found or me achieve herd immunity... either way there are no quick fixes.

Just now, Dodger said:

Hey do you have the problem when you order out and they leave the food at your door they don't even ring the damn door bell or knock to let you know they dropped it off? Only one guy had the sense to courtesy knock after leaving the food at the door so I know it's here. Fortunately the apps are good at telling you when you're shit is gonna arrive so it's only a slight delay but still, it would be nice to let me know it's here. 

See, I prefer it that way. I just track it on my app like you said and I usually watch them walk up to my house to see if they are wearing gloves and a mask because I am a psycho.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What are you basing this on exactly? Countries that did a far better job than us containing the outbreak have reopened and are already seeing spikes in cases. Russia has gone from a relatively small amount of cases to to now being second only to the U.S. in Covid cases in a matter of weeks. How do you expect us to NOT have a sudden spike in cases when you can't even get some folks in this country to do something as benign as wear a mask in public? And BTW, I've been in Jersey during this whole pandemic experience and have STILL been going in and out of NY to got to work (being an essential worker and all) and Best Buy is still open here. They do curbside pick up and it's working out fine, or you can line up to go into the store on a limited bases. I was just there Saturday and they seem to be doing decent business. As far as hair salons and restaurants... yeah I don't think having someone breath on you for a fucking haircut during a highly communicable pandemic caused by a virus that is transmitted through the respiratory system is a good idea. Most restaurants are doing deliveries and take out.

Now could some states and areas reopen due to their number of cases? Sure. But we can't do it blindly and until you have a decent testing and tracing system in place, you'll just be repeating this same cycle of opening and closing until a vaccine is found or me achieve herd immunity... either way there are no quick fixes.

So if we're not all locked in our houses until next year we're all gonna die?

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

Yeah I just can't understand why people want to re-open and get back to work. 

1 hour ago, Jose said:

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Minority owned businesses and labor have been worst affected, but the protests are only slightly less white than a Klan rally.

I don't have the links handy, but there were multiple surveys/polls that all showed the same thing: The people who want everything to open up are primarily those who are able to work from home. The people who want things to remain closed are primarily those who cannot work from home. Interestingly, people who have already been laid off supported keeping things closed by a greater margin than those who are still working from home.

The re-openings have little to do with people's jobs, and everything to do with people wanting to get out.

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

So if we're not all locked in our houses until next year we're all gonna die?

I know you're asking that sarcastically, but of course we will not all die...just millions and millions more people will die worldwide. Yes, most of them will be 75+, but that will still include hundreds of thousands of younger people.