~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Agreed. This is why Canada and the US are able to function well even with regional differences. In Canada the process is even spelled out more clearly with an actual process called equalization payments, based on a formula for tax redistribution.

As an aside, if the US ends up breaking up into smaller, regional nations (semi-independent), then it is only fair that the UK gets to draw the borders based on whatever fucked up criteria they choose, much like post-WWI and WWII.

Don't many of these countries do this already individually? I know for Spain for example, Catalonia subsidizes much of the poorer south of the country, Andalucia.

6 minutes ago, Jose said:

Don't many of these countries do this already individually? I know for Spain for example, Catalonia subsidizes much of the poorer south of the country, Andalucia.

What makes Canada and the US different from most other countries is that we are federalized, and have given our sub-divided jurisdictions a lot of power. 

EDIT - According to wiki, there appear to be only 25 federalized countries in the world, out of around 200. And Canada and the US are only two of four countries in the "western" world in this position (the others being Australia and Germany).

25 minutes ago, Jose said:

Practically every political entity engages in this economic redistribution in some way.  For example, the property taxes collected from those who live in the wealthier parts of a city "subsidize" the services that are provided to those who live in the less-wealthy parts.

The utter inanity of the EU is that it has a monetary union (the Euro) without an accompanying fiscal union which means that the EU as a whole operates at a very sub-optimal level.  And all this is due to the wealthier northern European states (Germany, Finland, the Netherlands, etc.) not wanting to "subsidize" the poorer southern and eastern European states.

Those southern/eastern European economies are much more vulnerable to shocks because they can't "inflate" their way out of trouble by printing their own currencies, and without a fiscal union that can transfer wealth from northern Europe to them when there's trouble, their effectively screwed.

The EU really is a freakin' cobbled-together Frankenstein monster of a political/economic entity that's perpetually on the razor's edge of disaster.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Navy beans navy beans! 

A reference to a very old SNL sketch with Adam Sandler and Chris Farley, and basically the only other time I've ever heard anyone refer to them as hoagies or grinders. 

The line I'm talking about is around the 2 minute mark. :p

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

E900-F945-7-BFF-4-F71-A306-7-FB557-DE833

Anyone else get this propaganda in the mail yet? I appreciate the free toilet paper, at least.

Oh, the opposite side was in Spanish btw

Well they couldn't just let the people who got direct deposit not see Trump's signature.

30 minutes ago, Jason said:

Well they couldn't just let the people who got direct deposit not see Trump's signature.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

Yup, nice waste of paper that went straight in the recycling.

Serious question: how much extra tax payer money did this cost?

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Well you also call a hoagie “subs” or some weird shit too! :nottalking:

For your information there are called "subs" as in "Submarine sandwiches" because they rolls are long and cylindrical... like submarines. There's a logic to it... WTF is a "hoagie"? Can someone enlighten me as to the origin of the term? 

It seems that the German-speaking nations (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) along with Belgium are the federal states in Western Europe.

I should have remembered that Germany is the "Federal Republic of Germany" - after all, Bismarck formed the German Empire through Prussia effectively strongarming all the other smaller German principalities into a union in 1870/1871.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

For your information there are called "subs" as in "Submarine sandwiches" because they rolls are long and cylindrical... like submarines. There's a logic to it... WTF is a "hoagie"? Can someone enlighten me as to the origin of the term? 

For your information, those types of sandwiches on long/sub/torpedo rolls, generally filled with Italian meats and cheeses, originated via Italian immigrants in Philadelphia around WW1 at the Hog Island shipping yard and, as such, were called “Hoggies” or “Hoggie Sandwiches” before generally being referred to as “Hoagies”. “Sub” is merely a reference to the bread/roll type, so, CHECK AND MATE.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

For your information, those types of sandwiches on long/sub/torpedo rolls, generally filled with Italian meats and cheeses, originated via Italian immigrants in Philadelphia around WW1 at the Hog Island shipping yard and, as such, were called “Hoggies” or “Hoggie Sandwiches” before generally being referred to as “Hoagies”. “Sub” is merely a reference to the bread/roll type, so, CHECK AND MATE.

Wikipedia says you are wrong toland wikipedia is never wrong!

19 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Well fuck me sideways... I actually learned something today :cheers: Unless you pulled that out of your ass.