What are you playing today?

18 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

More Dark Souls.. 

so I almost lost my sanity beating the f’n Gargoyles and had a surprisingly easier time with some Capra Demon thing (only took 2 tries)….   anyhow Im finding a rhythm, still wasting too many Souls leveling and acquiring stuff I cant use…

I made it to the Depths and got killed by the boss.. I went and upgraded my weapons and im heading back in rolling along peacefully with like 9,000 Souls and 7 Humanity when I suddenly fall through a trap hole into this area with these Battletoads rejects who breathe on me and now im FUCKING CURSED!! half health and everything.. I went to carefully recover my crap and got cursed again..

Im so annoyed cause I could have easily gone and leveled up with the Souls but no I got greedy…so after some research I now know my options for getting un-cursed.. fuck toads, fuck this game… Im taking a break before diving back in..I like it

You beat Capra Demon in two tries with no cheese??? Then you are in pretty good shape to beat the game. He's definitely one of the tougher enemies in the game... until you meet Ornstein and Smough

Han Solo Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

42 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You beat Capra Demon in two tries with no cheese??? Then you are in pretty good shape to beat the game. He's definitely one of the tougher enemies in the game... until you meet Ornstein and Smough

Han Solo Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

I did, a good chunk of circling.. I finally figured out the mechanic for the black knights so cleared them out.. toads are dead too now gotta kill that sewer dragon.. guess im committed now

that red Wyvern on the bridge.. that isnt happening anytime soon

3 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

I did, a good chunk of circling.. I finally figured out the mechanic for the black knights so cleared them out.. toads are dead too now gotta kill that sewer dragon.. guess im committed now

that red Wyvern on the bridge.. that isnt happening anytime soon

Honestly the Dark Souls games kinda blur together for me at a certain point... I don't remember which red wyvern you're talking about to be honest. You're on track to beat the game though because you have dealt with one of the tougher challenges already. You going heavy armor/high poise?

15 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Honestly the Dark Souls games kinda blur together for me at a certain point... I don't remember which red wyvern you're talking about to be honest. You're on track to beat the game though because you have dealt with one of the tougher challenges already. You going heavy armor/high poise?

Honestly im too much if an ignorant slob to dig into the intricacies of the character points system.. I picked a knight as my character and have been focusing on strength, stamina, dexterity… though I did see an elite knight armor set recently..

It is getting to the point where a shield or low weight in general is more useful for movement speed considerations

1 minute ago, 5timechamp said:

Honestly im too much if an ignorant slob to dig into the intricacies of the character points system.. I picked a knight as my character and have been focusing on strength, stamina, dexterity… though I did see an elite knight armor set recently..

It is getting to the point where a shield or low weight in general is more useful for movement speed considerations

I almost always go low weight in these games and focus more on dodging than blocking. The problem is when you DO get hit, it's catastrophic... Havel's armor is a great heavy armor set... sounds like you met him already and lost to him but if you manage to kill him, his armor is pretty high poise high defense and if you have the stats to wear it, you can tank a lot of damage with a good enough shield.

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I almost always go low weight in these games and focus more on dodging than blocking. The problem is when you DO get hit, it's catastrophic... Havel's armor is a great heavy armor set... sounds like you met him already and lost to him but if you manage to kill him, his armor is pretty high poise high defense and if you have the stats to wear it, you can tank a lot of damage with a good enough shield.

lol, you sent me on a quest to educate myself.. I havent faced Havel cause I didnt take the Master Key and now that I understand poise I want to raise it..

I now know what the focus of my gaming session will be about

• Haha 1

I’m still playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but it’s probably my least favorite of the latest Tomb Raider trilogy despite looking the best. It has too many jungles, caves and tribes with Lara dressed in unappealing tribal outfits that look out of place for fighting enemies and tomb raiding.

The RPG elements such as talking to NPCs in hub areas, side quests and its skill tree seem kind of out of place as well. It’s more of an adventure game compared to the two previous games, but that makes the overall experience a little more dull IMO.

The combat and platforming are still the best aspects of it just like they were in the previous games, but the adventure and RPG elements slow everything down a bit. I know that’s strange to say since Tomb Raider originated as an adventure series, but this isn’t like the original games. It’s more like a linear action platformer with adventure and RPG elements shoehorned into it.

I’m still somewhat enjoying it because it looks and plays good with some cool stuff that happens in it, but it’s missing that certain something that made the first two games so appealing IMO.

Just bought Need for Speed Heat for like $4 steam sale and installed. Side note: The internal drive is now full with my 1Tb Micro at 92gigs free, OUCH! Anyways, I didn't realize I would need to instal Origin also DAMNIT! Also it doesn't run that well at all really. I have it set to 40 Htz for refresh rate but it isn't locked or anything. I really like 60 in racers and this is not that! Averaging around 32-40fps. Kinda bummed but it's not like I can't find another game somewhere around my home that can fill my disappointment left by this game...lol

Also keep almost buying Salt and Sanctuary knowing that I would suck at it and knowing I still haven't played Elden Ring yet {well I did play the first 20 minutes}  ridiculous! Somebody help me PLZ...

19 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I’m still playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but it’s probably my least favorite of the latest Tomb Raider trilogy despite looking the best. It has too many jungles, caves and tribes with Lara dressed in unappealing tribal outfits that look out of place for fighting enemies and tomb raiding.

The RPG elements such as talking to NPCs in hub areas, side quests and its skill tree seem kind of out of place as well. It’s more of an adventure game compared to the two previous games, but that makes the overall experience a little more dull IMO.

The combat and platforming are still the best aspects of it just like they were in the previous games, but the adventure and RPG elements slow everything down a bit. I know that’s strange to say since Tomb Raider originated as an adventure series, but this isn’t like the original games. It’s more like a linear action platformer with adventure and RPG elements shoehorned into it.

I’m still somewhat enjoying it because it looks and plays good with some cool stuff that happens in it, but it’s missing that certain something that made the first two games so appealing IMO.

I completely understand your opinion on this game because my impressions were basically identical. I forced myself through it.

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

I completely understand your opinion on this game because my impressions were basically identical. I forced myself through it.

I finally made it out of the ancient hidden city hub area, and it has picked up again. It’s nice to have Lara back in her regular outfit, and fighting soldiers again. I hope that the game continues in the same direction for the remainder of it, because this is how it’s at its best IMO.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Phaseknox said:

I finally made it out of the ancient hidden city hub area, and it has picked up again. It’s nice to have Lara back in her regular outfit, and fighting soldiers again. I hope that the game continues in the same direction for the remainder of it, because this is how it’s at its best IMO.

I honestly don't recall much anymore other than I rushed to beat the game. It's certainly isn't a terrible game and I'm glad you hit a good spot. 

BTW, I found out how to play Control on easy mode. The game is extremely difficult but in the menus you can now select  "Assist Mode". Not only does it increase the number of save points, but it also allows you to toggle options and customize the difficulty. I toggled some options and I barely took damage for 25 minutes.

I beat the game normally but this "assist mode" might make me come back to the game and beat sometime down the road.

9 hours ago, best3444 said:

I honestly don't recall much anymore other than I rushed to beat the game. It's certainly isn't a terrible game and I'm glad you hit a good spot. 

It starts out good, but that ancient hidden city portion of it drags IMO. Ever since leaving it the game has gotten better, and I’m enjoying it again. By the way, the graphics are some of the best that I’ve seen in a game. The level of detail and lighting are truly impressive.

After tearing through Deathloop, I’m poking around Game Pass to find my next game. 
Metal:Hellsinger is a neat concept (DOOM as a rhythm game) executed pretty well. Don’t think it’ll have a ton of staying power for me personally, but it’s a fun thing to dip into for a few minutes. 

Slime Rancher 2 - I never played the first one, but maybe I should have. Utterly charming, chill little game. 

I also downloaded Grounded again now that it’s hit 1.0, and I’ll be playing some of that this weekend. 

2 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider was handed off to a different dev team than the team that did the first two in the trilogy.

Yeah, Crystal Dynamics made the first two games and Eidos Montreal made Shadow which is part of why it has a different vibe. It’s still pretty good, but not as good as the first two IMO which are a couple of my favorite games. Apparently Crystal Dynamics is currently working on another reboot of the series that’s not connected to the latest trilogy in any way. It will be their third reboot of the franchise.

Already played 3 hours of Prey this morning because I woke up at 4am. 

Then I played NBA 2K23 and I might play some Control on the PS5. 

Edit: @stepee Control is so fucking cool. I remember a lot but with the improvements made for the PS5 it makes it a lot of fun playing again. It's not an easy game which I like. Just a cool ass concept overall.

Playing that on the deck would be fantastic in the comfort in bed or wherever you play. I've been going back and forth with this and Prey.

More time spent on Dark Souls… Its such an enjoyable game, the environments are great as is the gameplay.. they didnt get lazy with the atmosphere in any area..

Anyhow did the woods got one hit killed by some f’n Saitama wannabe Mushroom thing..

Rang the 2nd bell by going through Blightown by way of the depths (apparently the long way)…

Going to do the Giants area past the catacombs tomorrow…I crested the difficulty of the last few areas.. just waiting for something else to smash me down

I finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and then played some Dawn of Fear, Fernz Gate, Gauntlet and Resident Evil 2 (remake). While I liked them all for the most part (especially RE2 remake), Fernz Gate is the one that I decided to keep playing because I’m in the mood for a retro style 2D pixel art turn-based JRPG more than the others.

Dawn of Fear is a poor man’s Resident Evil most similar to the first game, it barely has any production values and was clearly made by a very small development team. But despite that it still has classic survival horror appeal with its exploration of a creepy mansion, limited resource combat and puzzles. I’m just not really in a survival horror mood right now even though it’s Halloween month (October) which is why I stopped playing RE2 remake as well despite really liking it.

Gauntlet is a decent more modern take on the classic arcade game, it has a bit of a Diablo vibe to it. Of course it’s not as good as Diablo and is a lot more arcade-y, but it’s still a decent topdown view dungeon crawler. My main complaint is that the camera is zoomed way above everything making things tiny. I would like the camera to be closer to the action, but despite that it’s still a fairly good dungeon crawler where you collect loot and slaughter onslaughts of enemies.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and then played some Dawn of Fear, Fernz Gate, Gauntlet and Resident Evil 2 (remake). While I liked them all for the most part (especially RE2 remake), Fernz Gate is the one that I decided to keep playing because I’m in the mood for a retro style 2D pixel art turn-based JRPG more than the others.

Dawn of Fear is a poor man’s Resident Evil most similar to the first game, it barely has any production values and was clearly made by a very small development team. But despite that it still has classic survival horror appeal with its exploration of a creepy mansion, limited resource combat and puzzles. I’m just not really in a survival horror mood right now even though it’s Halloween month (October) which is why I stopped playing RE2 remake as well despite really liking it.

Gauntlet is a decent more modern take on the classic arcade game, it has a bit of a Diablo vibe to it. Of course it’s not as good as Diablo and is a lot more arcade-y, but it’s still a decent topdown view dungeon crawler. My main complaint is that the camera is zoomed way above everything making things tiny. I would like the camera to be closer to the action, but despite that it’s still a fairly good dungeon crawler where you collect loot and slaughter onslaughts of enemies.

Yeah that Gauntlet wasn’t GOAT like the dreamcast era ones but it was still good.