~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

48 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Significant fixed overhead costs + highly variable revenue with very elastic demand = razor-thin margins.

ย 

This too, but it's honestly faster and just as accurateย to say the rent is too damn high.

The concerns before coronavirus are still universal: The restaurant as we know it is no longer viable on its own. You canโ€™t have tipped employees making $45 an hour while line cooks make $15. You canโ€™t buy a $3 can of cheap beer at a dive bar in the East Village if the โ€œdive barโ€ is actually paying $18,000 a month in rent, $30,000 a month in payroll; it would have to cost $10. I canโ€™t keep hosing down the sautรฉ corner myself just to have enough money to repair the ripped awning. Prune is in the East Village because Iโ€™ve lived in the East Village for more than 30 years. I moved here because it was where you could get an apartment for $450 a month. In 1999, when I opened Prune, I still woke each morning to roosters crowing from the rooftop of the tenement building down the block, which is now a steel-and-glass tower. A less-than-500-square-foot studio apartment rents for $3,810 a month.

ย 

My Restaurant Was My Life for 20 Years. Does the World Need It Anymore? https://nyti.ms/2x5xGaa

ย 

Obligatory reading by one of NYC's most renowned chefs. This city is so fucked.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

ย 

Whatโ€™s allowed during the yellow phase?

• The stay-at-home order is lifted and gatherings of up to 25 people can be held.
  • Child care centers and some retail stores can reopen to half capacity.
  • Workers and customers have to wear masks and all CDC guidelines have to be followed

why do I get the feeling the answer to the question โ€œor else what?โ€ For people who violate CDC guideline is โ€œnothingโ€.

7 hours ago, Jose said:

ย 

Where have you seen that hospitalizations are up? If anything, Texas is seeing a reduction in cases as the positive rate has decreased significantly.

I was going by off the same reporter's tweet:

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

43 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I'd like to thank the people of the United Kingdom in advance for their participation in this upcoming large-scale clinical trial. ย Your sacrifice shall be forever remembered! O7

ย 

I feel like I read this chapter in history before.ย 

I have seen comments from people who seem reputable that suggest that certain aspects of the structure of the virus mean that--when combined with the unprecedented amount of different vaccine trials happening all at once--there will probably be a good vaccine developed in a relatively fast amount of time. But I never got the sense that they were talking about this fall. So yeah... I dunno. Good luck, UK.

Pilot dies after jet crashes during a stupid, pointless flyby to salute frontline workers:

ย 

ย The entire thing is stupid and we shouldn't be doing them. The Snowbirds are Canada's Blue Angels, and have been traveling across the country doing flybys this week.ย 

ย 

I know nurses, and they want actual support in the form of better funding, not gestures. Now this family has lost a loved one.

ย 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I'd like to thank the people of the United Kingdom in advance for their participation in this upcoming large-scale clinical trial. ย Your sacrifice shall be forever remembered! O7

ย 

ย 

I would think the long-term effects would be more of a worry than the short-term ones for something like this.

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

Oh shut up Maggie.

It's just a non-sensical tweet on its face. If it's actually going to have a "softening effect" then that's absolutely not the "2016 playbook." During what part of the "lock her up" campaign was Trump trying to convey a soft image?

ย 

21 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

It's just a non-sensical tweet on its face. If it's actually going to have a "softening effect" then that's absolutely not the "2016 playbook." During what part of the "lock her up" campaign was Trump trying to convey a soft image?

ย 

Donald the Dove

ย 

So Korea seems to have their latest outbreak under control.

ย 

Some schools are set to reopen this week. Korean school years actually start in March, so when the virus hit, schools were actually already on vacation.ย 

Here's an article about how they plan to reopen schools:

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200518007200315

ย 

"In a phased reopening plan, high school seniors will return to school on Wednesday and younger students will follow gradually until June 8.

Schools delayed the start of the new semester set for early March and have been offering online classes since last month.

The Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education issued a set of recommendations on detailed measures for distancing and sanitation.

It suggested schools switch between classroom and distance teaching for all levels of students, except high school seniors. The office said schools will be allowed to choose from diverse options on how to divide classes.

Parents of elementary students will be allowed to conduct home schooling for up to 34 days.

The guidelines require schools to take the temperature of all students and teachers twice a day. If any coronavirus case occurs, that school will be closed and classes will move online.

The office has installed thermal imaging cameras in all 1,366 schools in the city except kindergartens.

It has distributed five facial masks per student and three per school staff member.

For a week before returning to school, students are required to check their health conditions and report them to schools every day.

The office also recommended schools stagger lunch time while having students sit in one direction and apart from each other to minimize their contacts."

ย 

I've heard that my school is set to reopen June 10, barring any setbacks.

The education office plans to deploy personnel to schools to support the enforcement of the safety guidelines.

Now that the Lancet has declared Trump to be one of the biggest medical dangers in the world, some blue-state hospitals are doom-prepping for what his administration might have up their sleeves come November. One high probable scenario being discussed is that Trump will need a victory declaration heading into his re-election campaign for the end of the year (akin to the positive propaganda of W. Bush's 'Mission Accomplished' visual in 2003), and a very real fear is that he will come out in August and declare he found a cure and the virus is over. But since no such cure will exist, not even by a long shot at that time, he will more than likely tell his followers (voters and state bodies) that it's the blue states that are holding the cure back (hoarding for themselves even), which might physically turn red states against blue states. Hospitals are in very, very early stages of preparing for possible mail tampering and group protests showing up to their front doors.

ย 

The summer spike of infections and the election s**t-show is gonna be a doozy...

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, sexy_shapiro said:

One of my roommates works at a nail salon and she went back to work last week. Iโ€™m still working from home and hardly going out, but Iโ€™m worried that living with someone with a job like that will put me more at risk.

Wash your hands frequently,ย donโ€™t touch your face, disinfect surfaces you both use,ย and no on the lips stuff.ย 

• Haha 1