~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-reports-100-new-covid-19-cases-bringing-provincial-total-to-688-1.4867566

Welp, Ontario (Canada) is now reporting numbers in the triple digit category with 100 new cases today. Yesterday was 85. The death total also rises to 9 now (they've all been from the elderly population). Community spreading is starting to take over as well. :(

https://www.cp24.com/news/community-spread-becoming-main-cause-of-covid-19-infection-in-canada-tam-1.4866315

Probably the worse news was of a passenger on flight last week lying about their symptoms so she wouldn't be denied on the flight. I really hope this person gets fined and jail time over that (Selfish fuck). :|

https://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates/how-sick-canadian-travellers-are-masking-covid-19-symptoms-to-get-through-airport-screening-1.5508276

Quebec looks like they are in trouble:

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

spacer.png

Apparently they had a huge backlog of tests in their labs that are just now being completed. So that's good and bad—it means that cases aren't necessarily spiking, but also that they have been higher than reported for some time.

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

On a darker note I am worried because this crisis has paralyzed health care. My mom had a biopsy done and the oncologist still hasn't recieved the results back. 

Dude this is my mother-in-law too. We're stuck in limbo right now waiting to hear back about how to move forward. Frustrating as fuck.

30 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That's the reality pretty much everywhere in the States. Unless you're rich and connected, you aren't getting tested unless your life is on the line.

If anyone watches the YouTube channel Binging with Babish, the host of that channel along with his fiancee are in the same boat.

As I mentioned previously, my wife is also in the same boat and because of her I'm not allowed in my office in the event that I'm needed. Like, for instance, the very real fact that one of our servers has bad RAM that needs to be replaced but I can't go in to do that.

NJ at least has a few testing centers. One is 10 minutes from my house. But I am not sure they make sense to have anymore. We need resources elsewhere right now.

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Apparently they had a huge backlog of tests in their labs that are just now being completed. So that's good and bad—it means that cases aren't necessarily spiking, but also that they have been higher than reported for some time.

There cases % of population is the highest in Canada, despite being far behind the other provinces in testing.  The one day spike may not be a trend, but I think they are in trouble.

It seems kind of backwards to me given that, if you are in the ICU in critical condition, you can safely assume it is a duck and treat it accordingly; failing to test people who are mildly symptomatic lets them go out and potentially infect others, with no further ability to trace them. 

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

NJ at least has a few testing centers. One is 10 minutes from my house. But I am not sure they make sense to have anymore. We need resources elsewhere right now.

Without testing it becomes really difficult to track infections. There could be an Amazon warehouse shipping out virus-laden goods in every state and we'll never know without more testing.

21 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

spacer.png

Quebec changed how their testing to speed up their backlog (before it took 2 confirmations, first from the province and the second  from the federal lab) before a person was said to have it, now they just simply consider it a confirm case if the provincial test comes back positive. So that is causing a massive spike. It does leave things very concerning for other provinces that they might actually have a huge jump in the numbers if they changed their testing strategy as their backlogs are going faster each day.

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Without testing it becomes really difficult to track infections. There could be an Amazon warehouse shipping out virus-laden goods in every state and we'll never know without more testing.

I've been wiping down all boxes and their contents, unpacking and dumping the packaging asap. 

6 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Quebec changed how their testing to speed up their backlog (before it took 2 confirmations, first from the province and the second  from the federal lab) before a person was said to have it, now they just simply consider it a confirm case if the provincial test comes back positive. So that is causing a massive spike. It does leave things very concerning for other provinces that they might actually have a huge jump in the numbers if they changed their testing strategy as their backlogs are going faster each day.

Quebec has still only done 161 tests per 100k people (compared to 417 in BC, 674 in Alberta and 221 in Ontario).  There are certainly a number of undiagnosed cases elsewhere, but they still have the highest confirmed infection rate of 12 per 100k people (compared to 9 in BC, 7 in Alberta, 4 in Ontario) despite dong the least testing.

5 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

I've been wiping down all boxes and their contents, unpacking and dumping the packaging asap. 

I've been doing this since last week on anything that comes into the house with the exception of the 1/2 packages I got from amazon. I'm doomed :skull:
(Gonna be great getting in a box of wipes that I'll need to use to wipe down the box they came in)

10 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

For essentials workers, sure. 

So the UK thinks we're within a few days of having home testing kits that will be first distributed to NHS workers and Key Workers and then depending on supply will be available for people to order to test. My wife works as part of the NHS so here's hoping she can get one and then we can essentially both be tested. 

On that note, most likely my last day in a school tomorrow for a few weeks and then I literally have no idea what will happen.

1 minute ago, SlipperySlope said:

There was some Amazon exec on CNN yesterday talking about how well they are treating their employees. 

I have a couple of friends that work in a DC in Atlanta. They told me that they've done basically nothing. 

24 minutes ago, Iculus said:

Exactly my point. We know some of the workers are infected, but we have no idea if a virus that can survive more than two days out in the wild is surviving the overnight delivery to customers. Instead, we have sick people that got infected from...somewhere. Many of whom might actually be doing a good job practicing social distancing.

17 minutes ago, Jose said:

For essentials workers, sure. 

If only. My wife is an essential worker (mental health care therapist) for a company (mental health care provider) that is deemed essential and she's not getting tested. I'm an essential employee (IT manager) working for an essential employer (government contractor) and I'm not getting tested. The craziness around testing is absurd.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Exactly my point. We know some of the workers are infected, but we have no idea if a virus that can survive more than two days out in the wild is surviving the overnight delivery to customers. Instead, we have sick people that got infected from...somewhere. Many of whom might actually be doing a good job staying from from people.

If only. My wife is an essential worker (mental health care therapist) for a company (mental health care provider) that is deemed essential and she's not getting tested. I'm an essential employee (IT manager) working for an essential employer (government contractor) and I'm not getting tested. The craziness around testing is absurd.

Yeah having essential workers out and about and untested is absolutely insane and dangerous.  

So it looks like earlier this week I came into contact with someone who had enough symptoms to be tested and they shut the site down. I will know if that person tested positive for it next week.Until then I am quarantined at home. 

On a really scary side note I was only informed of this information by accident, it appears that the person with the symptoms company was trying to keep it under wraps. 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 2