~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Your boy has sadly finally fallen although not technically!

I woke up with a terrible sore throat on Sunday and felt pretty shitty on Monday and most of Tuesday. By Tuesday evening, I felt significantly better, but my wife started showing symptoms. So we both went for a rapid PCR test today and I am negative but she is positive. The doctor said I probably just cleared the virus super quickly which seems insane to me but also pretty cool lol?

106997080-16414018692022-01-05t164906z_7
WWW.CNBC.COM

It is the first time the FDA has authorized an updated vaccine formula since the shots rolled out in December 2020.

The Food and Drug Administration authorized Covid booster shots that target the omicron BA.5 subvariant as the U.S. prepares for another surge of infections this fall and winter.

It is the first time the FDA has authorized an updated vaccine formula since the original shots rolled out in Dec. 2020. Pharmacies are expected to start administering the new boosters after Labor Day weekend.

The U.S. has secured 171 million doses of Pfizer’s and Moderna’s updated shots so far, according to the Health and Human Services Department.

Pfizer’s new booster dose is authorized for people ages 12 and older, while Moderna’s new shots are authorized for adults ages 18 and older. The eligible age groups can receive the boosters two months after completing their primary series or their most recent booster with the old shots.

• Halal 2

One year after his first infection (almost to the day) my FIL caught it again...He's staying home but otherwise not secluding himself (everyone else in the house is vaccinated and testing negative- for now), and my wife's family continues to insist that she come over today to celebrate her mother's birthday. Absolutely baffling.

Sounds like Moderna's bivalent vaccine has been approved in Canada. However, it appears to be the BA1 bivalent, not BA4/5. So still better than the OG vaccine (since it includes the OG strain + Omicron), but not the most recent variants.

Unfortunately, as I just received my second (OG) booster a few weeks ago, I won't be eligible for these Omicron boosters until the new year. 

My stepfather who is vaxxed and boosted finally got Covid last week. He was sick for a couple of days but nothing serious. He's feeling better now but still testing positive. My mother has quarantined him in the bedroom and she's moved into another room. She has continued to test negative this whole time. She is also vaxxed and boosted.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Brick said:

Just tell me when I can get it!!! 

I think you're in Ontario? If so they've said it should be available in a week or so. I'm due for a booster so I'm going to try getting this one since the BA4/5 booster is expected to be submitted soon to canada and will probably be a month or two till it comes out. 

3 hours ago, chakoo said:

I think you're in Ontario? If so they've said it should be available in a week or so. I'm due for a booster so I'm going to try getting this one since the BA4/5 booster is expected to be submitted soon to canada and will probably be a month or two till it comes out. 

But then shouldn't I wait for the BA4/5 variant booster? 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

How long do you have to wait? I got the second booster at the end of July and suspected Rona 10 days ago.

There isn't much of a consensus among experts.  Some authorities are suggesting boosters every 90-days.  Others, much longer.

It's becoming a complicated mess; in some cases the health risks of a booster may outweigh the benefits (i.e. men under 24 due to the risk of myocarditis).

However, If you want to completely protect against infection, it looks like you probably need a booster every 90-days but this doesn't seem to translate into much benefit against serious illness/death.

48 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There isn't much of a consensus among experts.  Some authorities are suggesting boosters every 90-days.  Others, much longer.

It's becoming a complicated mess; in some cases the health risks of a booster may outweigh the benefits (i.e. men under 24 due to the risk of myocarditis).

However, If you want to completely protect against infection, it looks like you probably need a booster every 90-days but this doesn't seem to translate into much benefit against serious illness/death.

From all I've seen, the risk of myocarditis drops to basically nothing (not that it was high to begin with) with boosters compared to first shots.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

How long do you have to wait? I got the second booster at the end of July and suspected Rona 10 days ago.

I've seen either two or three months between boosters, and treating catching it as a booster for purposes of timing your next booster. If you boost too early it's not like anything bad should happen, but it won't really achieve much if you go too early, you're basically getting boosted for nothing. 

And I knew omicron provides shorter (if any) of a "natural boost" but I'm not sure to what extent it affects the recommendations on timing another booster as though your infection was a booster. 

Also to be clear I think you're supposed to count from when you clear the infection bit from when you first test positive. 

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

From all I've seen, the risk of myocarditis drops to basically nothing (not that it was high to begin with) with boosters compared to first shots.

You're right, the risk of myocarditis is lower after the booster -- but so are the benefits.

The risk of myocarditis has resulted in Moderna boosters being banned in young men in many places.

The Pfizer booster is more safe, but even with the risk of Myocarditis being very low:

1)  The risk of serious illness is already exceptionally low among this group, and the benefit of a booster is negligible

2)  Some studies have shown that booster efficacy in teens against infection peaks at ~68% at 27 days, and falls to ~ 6% by 2-months.

Any risk is hard to justify, when the booster provides very little benefit.