~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

On 7/6/2022 at 10:59 AM, CitizenVectron said:

All indications are that the BA.5 wave is starting in Canada (and likely US). With its ability to evade previous immunity, we're likely going to see increased hospitalizations again.

So this BA.5 is able to evade past immunity if you've gotten it already?  Are the vaccines not effective against it either?

20 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

So this BA.5 is able to evade past immunity if you've gotten it already?  Are the vaccines not effective against it either?

As with most of Omicron, They're good at protecting you from the more serious effects that would put you in the hospital along with quicker recovery. They do not however protect you from catching it.

5 minutes ago, chakoo said:

As with most of Omicron, They're good at protecting you from the more serious effects that would put you in the hospital along with quicker recovery. They do not however protect you from catching it.

I've read some good stuff lately that seems to indicate that the boosters actually work quite well against Omicron, in terms of preventing infection. With three doses, the risk of infection was reduced by 65% with three doses of mRNA vaccine. That's actually pretty good, though not as good as the 80-90%+ with Delta/Alpha. That number has since dropped with the Omicron sub-variants, of course. But the general wisdom when Omicron first appeared (re: chance of catching) was not entirely correct.

We gots the COVID again...

This time my older son has bad cold level symptoms... I just feel tired and kinda foggy and very mild headachy... my wife feels similar to me but less so and my youngest seems fine.

COVID is weird.

• Sad 6

I'm noticing more and more that most COVID misinformation now is from doomers and not from denialists (see also that "forever plague" article from further up the page which has been totally debunked). And while I don't want to diminish what anyone is going through that has a long COVID case, I also see a bunch of stuff floating around that's like "10% of the world population is going to be permanently disabled by Long COVID!"

It seems like all the denialists just decided to move onto trans panic or something, and it's this guy kinda stuff filling the vacuum on social media instead.

3 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

I'm noticing more and more that most COVID misinformation now is from doomers and not from denialists (see also that "forever plague" article from further up the page which has been totally debunked). And while I don't want to diminish what anyone is going through that has a long COVID case, I also see a bunch of stuff floating around that's like "10% of the world population is going to be permanently disabled by Long COVID!"

It seems like all the denialists just decided to move onto trans panic or something, and it's this guy kinda stuff filling the vacuum on social media instead.

Wasn't the endgame always supposed to be for the disease to become endemic, i.e. continue to exist but at a tolerable rate of infection?

I feel like pretty soon it's going to get to the level of the seasonal flu and the doomers you mentioned are still going to be posting like the world's being wracked by an unprecedented killer zombie virus, just to get retweets.

God I hate social media.

• Halal 2

2 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Wasn't the endgame always supposed to be for the disease to become endemic, i.e. continue to exist but at a tolerable rate of infection?

I feel like pretty soon it's going to get to the level of the seasonal flu and the doomers you mentioned are still going to be posting like the world's being wracked by an unprecedented killer zombie virus, just to get retweets.

God I hate social media.

I don't know that the endgame was ever that COVID becomes endemic with 6X the mean national daily death rate compared to the flu?

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

God I hate social media.

It's a disease that's currently not seasonal. You can catch it multiple times in a year and each time you have a rather significant chance that it causes long term health problems. 

The flu is seasonal and it doesn't permanently fuck you up. 

10 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don't know that the endgame was ever that COVID becomes endemic with 6X the mean national daily death rate compared to the flu?

I mean, that's what a lot of immunologists are saying--or at least a good sample of them:

The SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus will not be eradicated but will become endemic, continuing to circulate in pockets of the global population for years to come and causing outbreaks in regions where it had been eliminated, scientists working in the field believe.

But the impact of the virus on the world in terms of deaths, illness, and the need for social isolation will lessen, they say, as more of the population acquires some immunity to it through exposure to the virus or from vaccination.

The predictions come from a survey carried out in January by the journal Nature of more than 100 immunologists, infectious disease researchers, and virologists working on SARS-CoV-2.1 Almost 90% of respondents said that they expected the coronavirus to become endemic, although more than a third thought that it would be possible to eliminate SARS-CoV-2 from some regions of the world.

While there would be a continual risk of covid-19 outbreaks in areas where the virus had been eliminated, these could be stifled quickly by herd immunity if most people had been vaccinated, said Christopher Dye, an epidemiologist at the University of Oxford, UK. He told Nature, “I guess covid will be eliminated from some countries, but with a continuing and maybe seasonal risk of reintroduction from places where vaccine coverage and public health measures have not been good enough.”

It hasn't reached that level yet, and we've only had basically one big round of vaccines, but its stress on health systems has decreased significantly already.  It will always be a threat to the elderly, of course, but so is the seasonal flu.

And one of the major reasons the seasonal flu is not way deadlier than it is is because it's been endemic for awhile and people get booster shots every year, take flu-season precautions, etc.  Back in the early 20th century it killed way more people, courtesy of a lack of modern epidemiology, and of not being endemic yet.  If people keep getting their vaccines, and being careful, I imagine the death rate will decline once it becomes endemic.

Regardless of how you read the numbers, though, we can both agree one thing remains true: the #1 threat to keeping the disease under control are the anti-vaxxers.

Just now, Brick said:

Girlfriend's mom got exposed to covid on Friday. Don't know yet if she got infected, but I saw my girlfriend yesterday, so yikes. 

Exposure is a real crapshoot.  I feel like if you haven't caught it yet then you might have some natural resistance.  I've been exposed via the brother who lives here, a friend who's gotten it twice, a party I went to a month or so ago where 3 people tested positive later that week, and I'm sure plenty in the world out and about.  I've swabbed my nose so damned much it doesn't bother me anymore, not one positive test

3 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Exposure is a real crapshoot.  I feel like if you haven't caught it yet then you might have some natural resistance.  I've been exposed via the brother who lives here, a friend who's gotten it twice, a party I went to a month or so ago where 3 people tested positive later that week, and I'm sure plenty in the world out and about.  I've swabbed my nose so damned much it doesn't bother me anymore, not one positive test

You're invincible!! 

katy perry roar GIF

On 6/28/2022 at 12:22 PM, Ghost_MH said:

Blah. I guess there's no easy way to take care of toddlers with COVID without catching it yourself. I feel like shit. At least I still have my taste right now. Last night sucked with a pretty bad fever, but yay for vaccines. I'm mostly better now. Just some shortness of breath and aches from a night of cold sweats.

My middle girl had it the worst, but she also got over it really quick. Went from 103° to perfectly healthy and dancing after a sleeping for nearly 20 hours straight. She's like a videogame character.

My youngest never got a fever, but she's still feeling crummy. Just overall unhappy with life. No fever or cough. Just body aches, an upset stomach, and a runny nose.

I still don't know how my oldest has made it through this all unscathed. He is vaccinated, but he's just bragging at this point. He even made me record a video for grandma because he wanted her to know that everyone at home is sick, but he feels great.

Both of my nephews got covid a couple of months ago, 4 and 11 and my sister took care of them by herself and somehow managed to not get Covid. No idea how but she did. Such a weird virus...

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Both of my nephews got covid a couple of months ago, 4 and 11 and my sister took care of them by herself and somehow managed to not get Covid. No idea how but she did. Such a weird virus...

Viruses are weird like that. I can't remember how many times one of us in this house had the flu, and the one didn't get it while looking after the rest. 

The immune system is quite resilient. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Super weird virus.

We're all testing negative now, but two of us aren't really over it. I'm exhausted. Like all the time and so out of breath it's kind of crazy. I'll do nothing but walk over to the kids to take a video to send to grandma, and then play it back and hear nearly breathing in the background like I just ran a marathon.

My youngest still has a nasty cough. Her doctor just saw her and cleared her on any sort of chest infection. She just has some random chest congestion from COVID that just isn't going away a week after she tested negative and almost two weeks since she stopped having any other symptoms.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

July 2022 and dumb ball players still won’t get vaccinated, losing paychecks, and hurting their team’s chance of making the playoffs 

It gets better. Bailey Falter was scheduled to get the mlb start but was unvaccinated and is now being optioned. Also, it gets better better…he was supposed to start last year but got Covid and missed it and was optioned. Imagine missing out on life long goal because of this. (read that on the baseball sub Reddit so not 100% sure on that)

4 minutes ago, Massdriver said:
WWW.POLITICO.COM

Currently, only those over age 50 or who are immunocompromised are eligible.

Yes please. I want a booster before the variant ones later this year. 

Just go to a pharmacy and say you're immunocompromised, it's purely honor system.

• True 1

210510213834-conclu-novavax-super-tease.
WWW.CNN.COM

The US Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday authorized Novavax's Covid-19 vaccine for emergency use in adults. It is the fourth coronavirus vaccine available in the United States, and it uses a different type of vaccine technology than the shots already available.

• Sicko 1
  • Halal 1

I’m vaccinated, boosted and recovered.

since my infection I’ve dealt with something called expressive aphasia, @CastlevaniaNut18can go further into that concept, and it’s beyond frustrating. Simple concepts to express become things I miss. 

renovating my house id routinely not be able to say the room I want to work on despite knowing what it was etc. 

When I was infected it was a minor cold, now I’m here.

It’s insanely frustrating especially since I know what this means.

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1