~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Moderna:

220815-vaccine-mb-1354-0b8182.jpg
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Each dose of the booster shot will target both the original Covid-19 virus and the omicron BA.1 variant that was first picked up in November.

British drug regulators have become the first in the world to authorize an updated version of Moderna’s coronavirus vaccine that aims to protect against the original virus and the omicron variant.

In a statement on Monday, the Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency said it had given the green light to Moderna’s combination “bivalent” vaccine, which will be used as an adult booster shot.

Each dose of the booster shot will target both the original Covid-19 virus and the omicron BA.1 variant that was first picked up in November. British regulators said the side effects were similar to those seen for Moderna’s original booster shot and were typically “mild and self-resolving.”

• Like 2
  • Halal 2

220817094031-cdc-headquarters-restricted
WWW.CNN.COM

Big changes are coming to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which recently celebrated its 75th anniversary as the nation's lead public health agency.

Big changes are coming to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which recently celebrated its 75th anniversary as the nation's lead public health agency.

CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky met with senior leadership at the agency this morning to lay out her plans for overhauling how the agency works. She plans to remake the culture to help the agency move faster when it responds to a public health crisis. She also wants to make it easier for other parts of the government to work with the CDC, and wants to simplify and streamline the website to get rid of overlapping and contradictory public health guidance.

"My goal is a new, public health action-oriented culture at CDC that emphasizes accountability, collaboration, communication, and timeliness.  I look forward to working with the incredible people at CDC and our partners to realize the agency's fullest potential to benefit the health and well-being of all Americans," Walensky said in a statement on Wednesday.

Staff was notified of the plans by email. More than 12,000 people work at the agency, which is headquartered in Atlanta.

The changes will be aimed at improving the culture and restoring public trust after the agency's acknowledged missteps in its response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

On 8/17/2022 at 2:45 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
220817094031-cdc-headquarters-restricted
WWW.CNN.COM

Big changes are coming to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which recently celebrated its 75th anniversary as the...

220817-nyc-monkeypox-lesion-Kyle-Planck-
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

After Covid, the repetition of these public health missteps does not augur well for the future.

but they are making the same mistakes with monkey pox right now. Terrible messaging. 

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

I thought Pfizer wasn’t bivalent?

WWW.PFIZER.COM

NEW YORK and MAINZ, Germany, July 27, 2022 — Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced that the companies have initiated a randomized, active-controlled, observer-blind, Phase 2 study to evaluate the safety, tolerability, and immune response of an enhanced COVID-19 mRNA-based vaccine candidate at a 30 µg dose level.

Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced that the companies have initiated a randomized, active-controlled, observer-blind, Phase 2 study to evaluate the safety, tolerability, and immune response of an enhanced COVID-19 mRNA-based vaccine candidate at a 30 µg dose level. This next-generation bivalent COVID-19 vaccine candidate, BNT162b5, consists of RNAs encoding enhanced prefusion spike proteins for the SARS-CoV-2 ancestral strain (wild-type) and an Omicron variant. The enhanced spike protein encoded from the mRNAs in BNT162b5 has been modified with the aim of increasing the magnitude and breadth of the immune response that could better protect against COVID-19.

106810418-1607785676560-AP20347485617712
WWW.CNBC.COM

The U.S. is planning a fall booster campaign with the new shots amid concerns about another wave of infection.

Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech on Monday asked the Food and Drug Administration to authorize Covid booster shots that target the omicron BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants for people ages 12 and older.

The U.S. is preparing for a fall vaccination campaign using updated vaccines that target the dominant omicron subvariants. Public health officials expect another wave of infection this fall and winter as immunity from the currently authorized shots wears off and people head indoors to escape the colder weather.

The updated vaccines would target the original strain of the virus that first emerged in Wuhan, China, in 2019 as well as omicron, known as a bivalent vaccine. Scientists and public health officials hope the new shots will provide broader and more durable protection against infection and mild illness.

The currently authorized shots were developed to target the version of Covid that first emerged in China. Though the original vaccines are still preventing severe disease, they are not providing substantial protection against infection and mild illness.

Dr. Ashish Jha, the White House Covid response coordinator, has said the new shots will become available to the public by early to mid-September. Pfizer said it can ship the omicron BA.4/BA.5 boosters as soon as the FDA authorizes them. The U.S. government has secured 105 million doses of Pfizer’s updated shots and 66 million doses of Moderna’s new vaccine.

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Just read that Canada is getting 12 million of the Moderna Omicron boosters this fall. Damn, and I just got my regular second booster (meaning I likely won't be able to get an Omicron booster until Jan/Feb at the earliest). Oh well, still better-protected than I would be without it.

So should I wait a bit to get my second booster? I was going to go this week since I think my area is going walk ins. 

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Just read that Canada is getting 12 million of the Moderna Omicron boosters this fall. Damn, and I just got my regular second booster (meaning I likely won't be able to get an Omicron booster until Jan/Feb at the earliest). Oh well, still better-protected than I would be without it.

41 minutes ago, Brick said:

So should I wait a bit to get my second booster? I was going to go this week since I think my area is going walk ins. 

How soon is "this fall"? If it's next month and you're not traveling or otherwise doing anything out of your ordinary routine I'd probably wait at this point.

43 minutes ago, Jason said:

How soon is "this fall"? If it's next month and you're not traveling or otherwise doing anything out of your ordinary routine I'd probably wait at this point.

My girlfriend and I have been talking about going on vacation somewhere to find a nice beach to sprawl out onto, but that won't be for a while. She recently recovered from getting covid after her dad had it earlier. 

On 8/22/2022 at 5:47 PM, Brick said:

On 8/22/2022 at 7:15 PM, Brick said:

My girlfriend and I have been talking about going on vacation somewhere to find a nice beach to sprawl out onto, but that won't be for a while. She recently recovered from getting covid after her dad had it earlier. 

They have not announced when they will be coming to Canada (expect them to be after they come to the US).  And when they do, to be released to older folks first.

People are currently eligible to get another booster 90-days after the previous one.

If you're concerned about it, I wouldn't wait.

Vaccine mandates have been all but lifted in Canada.  They are no longer required anywhere by the Federal or Provincial governments.  And there has never been a mandate here that enforced boosters.

They no longer demonstrated a meaningful incentive for higher vaccination.  A booster does limit your ability to transmit the virus, but only for a few months - and there is no appetite from ANYONE to enforce boosters every few months.

Western University's decision is pandering to uniformed fears in their faculty, not anything based on science.

When I show up to the pediatrician with my daughter I just want them to tell me what vaccinations she's due for and I go oh okay and she gets them.  Don't have to worry about making choices best left to experts or making separate appointments or having to deal with insurance or supply issues. Mandates are good.

• Halal 2

27 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

When I show up to the pediatrician with my daughter I just want them to tell me what vaccinations she's due for and I go oh okay and she gets them.  Don't have to worry about making choices best left to experts or making separate appointments or having to deal with insurance or supply issues. Mandates are good.

I can only speak for Ontario, but Covid boosters are far from unique.  If you're getting the recommended list of vaccines from your pediatrician, you are getting much more than the ones with a vaccine mandate.  

Annual Influenza, IPD, Rot-1, Hep B, HPV are all recommended for school age children here, but not mandated.