~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Definitely great news...but Canada is at like 89% vaccination (of eligible population). I guess it could be useful as a kind of mixed booster in the future? And unless it's approved for kids <12, Pfizer is going to beat them to the punch in the next few weeks. However, I suppose if it's approved in Canada (and Canada doesn't need the pre-ordered amounts), then those doses can be shipped to other nations.

35 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Definitely great news...but Canada is at like 89% vaccination (of eligible population). I guess it could be useful as a kind of mixed booster in the future? And unless it's approved for kids <12, Pfizer is going to beat them to the punch in the next few weeks. However, I suppose if it's approved in Canada (and Canada doesn't need the pre-ordered amounts), then those doses can be shipped to other nations.

Yeaj I doubt many Canadians will get the shot, but the important thing is that these countries approve it so third world countries follow their lead and start using it.

Its also almost certainly going to be the booster shot of choice in the future if this all works out

28 minutes ago, Joe said:

Yeaj I doubt many Canadians will get the shot, but the important thing is that these countries approve it so third world countries follow their lead and start using it.

Its also almost certainly going to be the booster shot of choice in the future if this all works out

Why would it be the booster shot of choice? I'm not that educated on this particular vaccine.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Why would it be the booster shot of choice? I'm not that educated on this particular vaccine.

A combination of only needing to be refrigerated, very strong efficacy on par with mRNA, and the lowest side effect profile of all the vaccines. 

mRNA is getting a ton of hype right now and rightfully so, but Novavax’s breakthrough on basically reinventing the protein vaccine (the flu shot is a protein vaccine) is just as huge if they can get the damn thing in production.

5408.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The technology was viewed with scepticism before the pandemic but there is now growing confidence about its use

It is one of the most remarkable success stories of the pandemic: the unproven technology that delivered the Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines in record time, helping to turn the tide on Covid-19. The vaccines are based on mRNA, the molecule that instructs our cells to make specific proteins. By injecting synthetic mRNA, our cells are turned into on-demand vaccine factories, pumping out any protein we want our immune system to learn to recognise and destroy.

Pre-pandemic, the technology was viewed with scepticism – a clever concept, but not guaranteed to deliver. Now there is growing confidence that mRNA vaccines could have far-reaching applications in tackling diseases from flu to malaria.

4531.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

US, Brazil, India, Mexico and the UK together account for more than half of total, which is based on official figures

The global death toll from Covid-19 has passed 5 million, 19 months after the pandemic was first declared, according to figures released by Johns Hopkins University. Some experts, including those from the World Health Organization, believe the true toll may be two to three times higher than official figures suggest.

The number of deaths from Covid-19 far outstrip that of other viral epidemics in the 21st century and most from the 20th century, with the notable exception of the Spanish flu. The US, Brazil, India, Mexico and the UK together account for more than half of all deaths worldwide.

And remember that this is most assuredly a significant undercount from Brazil and India.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
4531.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

US, Brazil, India, Mexico and the UK together account for more than half of total, which is based on official figures

And remember that this is most assuredly a significant undercount from Brazil and India.

I would include the US in that, as well (though not to the same extent).

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

excessdpromo.jpg
WWW.ECONOMIST.COM

In many parts of the world, official death tolls undercount the total number of fatalities

You only would because of your own biases

That data looks like it kinda looks like it proves his point and that the US is pretty severely underestimating its COVID deaths by as much as 185k and that was just to the end of August.

32 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

excessdpromo.jpg
WWW.ECONOMIST.COM

In many parts of the world, official death tolls undercount the total number of fatalities

You only would because of your own biases

As I said, the US is certainly not on the same level as the aforementioned countries in terms of underreporting deaths, but it's certainly been underreporting them. The excess deaths don't match up to the official stats. It's not as bad as some places, but there (at a minimum) hundreds of thousands of deaths not officially counted.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

As I said, the US is certainly not on the same level as the aforementioned countries in terms of underreporting deaths, but it's certainly been underreporting them. The excess deaths don't match up to the official stats. It's not as bad as some places, but there (at a minimum) hundreds of thousands of deaths not officially counted.

Percentages matter in this context more than the nominal numbers. But even if you want to focus on the nominal amount the US adds, you aren’t adding to the global total more than 3% if the US were the only undercounting nation.

But the reason this is really just an issue of your biases at play is you can find many other nations who would add a large nominal number but also have higher percentages of undercounting than the US, yet the US is the only country you bother to name. It’s just amusing how obsessed you are with trashing America :p 

20 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Percentages matter in this context more than the nominal numbers. But even if you want to focus on the nominal amount the US adds, you aren’t adding to the global total more than 3% if the US were the only undercounting nation.

But the reason this is really just an issue of your biases at play is you can find many other nations who would add a large nominal number but also have higher percentages of undercounting than the US, yet the US is the only country you bother to name. It’s just amusing how obsessed you are with trashing America :p 

Time to trash Russia, Egypt, Iran and Mexico!

More seriously, interesting to see Canada having reported Covid deaths higher than excess deaths,  I wonder what is causing that...

40 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Time to trash Russia, Egypt, Iran and Mexico!

More seriously, interesting to see Canada having reported Covid deaths higher than excess deaths,  I wonder what is causing that...

My understanding (though limited) is that non-COVID deaths were significantly lower in Canada in 2020/2021 than in normal years. This is claimed to have been taken into account for most of these excess death studies, but it's possible it's not granular enough. The one exception to this is overdose deaths, which are up.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

My understanding (though limited) is that non-COVID deaths were significantly lower in Canada in 2020/2021 than in normal years. This is claimed to have been taken into account for most of these excess death studies, but it's possible it's not granular enough. The one exception to this is overdose deaths, which are up.

That is what the math would say. 

3 hours ago, Brick said:

Getting vaccines for basically all the STDs would be game changing. I do wonder though would a vaccine also work as a cure for people who already have one of the "for life" diseases like herpes? 

If we had vaccines for STD's I'd be dead within a year. Straight up. Heart failure or something... I have no idea how our parents survived the 60's... and 70's... and 80's.

• Haha 1

My daughter tested positive for Covid. She went to the doctors to get tested for RSV since her classmate tested positive for it, which she did as well.  Now her whole day care class has to quarantine. I feel terrible even though I am pretty sure she got it at day care. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

32 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

My daughter tested positive for Covid. She went to the doctors to get tested for RSV since her classmate tested positive for it, which she did as well.  Now her whole day care class has to quarantine. I feel terrible even though I am pretty sure she got it at day care. 

Poor kiddo, but take heart, she is likely to be totally fine :) But nothing worse for a parent then when your babies are sick!

33 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Poor kiddo, but take heart, she is likely to be totally fine :) But nothing worse for a parent then when your babies are sick!

She seems fine. Still playing and throwing tantrums. I feel bad for the other parents that are now forced to have their kid home. The positive is from a rapid test so we are doing a PCR tomorrow to confirm. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

She seems fine. Still playing and throwing tantrums. I feel bad for the other parents that are now forced to have their kid home. The positive is from a rapid test so we are doing a PCR tomorrow to confirm. 

So she has RSV and Covid?