~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

My lady’s grandparents are both in the hospital with COVID; grandmother had pneumonia and blood clots, grandfather will die within the next 24-48 hours (he’s in such bad shape they elected not to put him on a ventilator, and have also removed his supplemental oxygen). She isn’t close with either of them (they are toxic and abusive), and in the grandfather’s case this is a mercy (he has dementia so bad he barely remembers his own name), but it’s hard to see the impact it’s having on her mom. So much needless suffering. 

• Sad 11

23 hours ago, Chris- said:

My lady’s grandparents are both in the hospital with COVID; grandmother had pneumonia and blood clots, grandfather will die within the next 24-48 hours (he’s in such bad shape they elected not to put him on a ventilator, and have also removed his supplemental oxygen). She isn’t close with either of them (they are toxic and abusive), and in the grandfather’s case this is a mercy (he has dementia so bad he barely remembers his own name), but it’s hard to see the impact it’s having on her mom. So much needless suffering. 

He is still alive despite his blood oxygen falling to as low as 50%

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 3

Got my moderna booster yesterday. So far aside from a sore arm, no side effects unlike when I got my J&J shot back in the spring. Some thing to consider for folks that don't think they are eligible for the boosters yet, once they open a bottle they have 12 hours to use all of the doses before they go bad so they want to use those shots and not waste any. They really aren't turning people away so if you want to get a booster but don't think you would be eligible based on the criteria, try your luck anyway. You'll more than likely get a shot if all of the doses aren't accounted for. At least that what the pharmacist I went to told me.

"natural immunity" is kind of shit compared to vaccines

mm7044e1_NaturalvsVaccineImmunity_IMAGE_
WWW.CDC.GOV

This report describes mRNA COVID-19 vaccine recipients as having greater immunity from COVID-19 infection than previously infected, unvaccinated persons.

Among COVID-19–like illness hospitalizations among adults aged ≥18 years whose previous infection or vaccination occurred 90–179 days earlier, the adjusted odds of laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 among unvaccinated adults with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection were 5.49-fold higher than the odds among fully vaccinated recipients of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine who had no previous documented infection (95% confidence interval = 2.75–10.99).

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

"natural immunity" is kind of shit compared to vaccines

mm7044e1_NaturalvsVaccineImmunity_IMAGE_
WWW.CDC.GOV

This report describes mRNA COVID-19 vaccine recipients as having greater immunity from COVID-19 infection than previously infected, unvaccinated persons.

In Germany they'll count a previous infection as "vaccinated" for purposes of getting into restaurants and stuff, but only for three months. That seems realistic, that you probably won't catch it again right away but that it's not going to last nearly as long or robustly as vaccination, especially with variants always cropping up.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

In Germany they'll count a previous infection as "vaccinated" for purposes of getting into restaurants and stuff, but only for three months. That seems realistic, that you probably won't catch it again right away but that it's not going to last nearly as long or robustly as vaccination, especially with variants always cropping up.

Some studies have shown that the strength of your antibody response is correlated to how sick you were in the original infection -- the sicker you were, the stronger the protection.  So, mild cases don't offer much protection.  Another study I read suggested that most people had minimal resistance ~13-16 months after a previous infection.

The discussion about the shot is expected to resume Tuesday when the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, which advises the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is scheduled to meet to recommend how to use the vaccine. After CDC Director Rochelle Walensky signs off, probably on the same day, providers will be able to begin administering the vaccine

P7FAMYBHUMI6ZBZZLS3KXIYKGA.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The shot is expected to be available next week, after reviews by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and its advisers.

41 minutes ago, chakoo said:

As the father of a 3 week old baby, I’m jealous of anybody who gets more then 3 hours of continuous sleep. :cry:

Hey my 3 month old is up to 7 hours it's a dream. You'll get there!

My friends who have a two month old have their child that literally does not sleep save for 4 hours a day, total. It is awful

• Thanks 1