~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Are you guys that are getting the boosters eligible under the current guidelines or are you just asking for it and receiving it without needing to prove eligibility? 

I'm traveling for work the week of the 15th and thought I might go for the booster to try and up my immunity, but as far as I can tell I'm not eligible just yet. I also have a heart condition and had a pretty strong (flu-like with a fever of 103) response to the second dose (Moderna), so I'm hesitant to get the booster until it's being recommended to me. 

1 hour ago, Chollowa said:

Are you guys that are getting the boosters eligible under the current guidelines or are you just asking for it and receiving it without needing to prove eligibility? 

I'm traveling for work the week of the 15th and thought I might go for the booster to try and up my immunity, but as far as I can tell I'm not eligible just yet. I also have a heart condition and had a pretty strong (flu-like with a fever of 103) response to the second dose (Moderna), so I'm hesitant to get the booster until it's being recommended to me. 

I'm not in the recommended group but they don't ask you as "being in a high risk environment" basically means anyone who wants it. 

2 hours ago, Chollowa said:

I was never asked. The only thing they wanted to know when I signed up was which vaccine I had previously and if I was feeling well or had been previously infected.

4 hours ago, Chollowa said:

I asked a local grocery pharmacist while shopping and they flat out told me that the timeline is all that matters. So I went home and setup an online appointment with CVS for a week out.

If you're 6 months past your last shot, start calling to get scheduled

22 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Have you evolved to no longer have height, or weight? :mthinking:

:p 

Muscle instead of fat. My body fat percentage is not accurately calculated by BMI like normies.

Sides definitely came faster this time hitting me the night of instead of the next day. I toggled between being too hot and freezing all night. Right now I feel vaguely sick but not too bad. I feel like overall though at least so far second shot was worse. 

Oh and I'm Moderna master race.

HXE5M6IVTZOPBLY6ZR6KNTQFXM.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

A U.S. federal appeals court issued a stay Saturday freezing the Biden administration's efforts to require workers at U.S. companies with at least 100 employees be vaccinated against COVID-19 or be tested weekly, citing "grave...

Not a surprise at all coming from the 5th Circuit

So for all the chuds screaming about "we don't know the long term effects of the vaccine", it got me wondering, has there been many, or even any, vaccine that came out, and then after years we learned it caused some sort of huge nasty side effect and was taken off the market? I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't even name one because there hasn't been one. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

So for all the chuds screaming about "we don't know the long term effects of the vaccine", it got me wondering, has there been many, or even any, vaccine that came out, and then after years we learned it caused some sort of huge nasty side effect and was taken off the market? I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't even name one because there hasn't been one. 

But they weren’t mRNA! 

3 hours ago, Brick said:

According to Ohio State University, long-term side effects from vaccines have never been a thing.  The whole modern paranoia clearly stems from the nutty autism conspiracy theory that continues to be a thing since parents cannot possibly accept their child was born autistic and we're better at diagnosing it than we were in the past.

vaccinelongtermeffects_small.jpg
WEXNERMEDICAL.OSU.EDU

How could we possibly know whether long-term side effects are possible, when COVID-19 vaccines just began clinical trials in 2020? An @OSUWexMed infectious disease...

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, vaxick said:

According to Ohio State University, long-term side effects from vaccines have never been a thing.  The whole modern paranoia clearly stems from the nutty autism conspiracy theory that continues to be a thing since parents cannot possibly accept their child was born autistic and we're better at diagnosing it than we were in the past.

WEXNERMEDICAL.OSU.EDU

How could we possibly know whether long-term side effects are possible, when COVID-19 vaccines just began clinical trials in 2020? An @OSUWexMed infectious disease...

Exactly. Vaccines don't change your body in any way, they just tell your body to remember the shape of a potential invader. But easily duped people don't understand that.

• True 1

12 hours ago, Brick said:

Rotashield

WWW.CDC.GOV

Rotavirus Vaccine (RotaShield) and Intussusception: Historical Info

11 hours ago, vaxick said:

According to The Ohio State University, long-term side effects from vaccines have never been a thing.  The whole modern paranoia clearly stems from the nutty autism conspiracy theory that continues to be a thing since parents cannot possibly accept their child was born autistic and we're better at diagnosing it than we were in the past.

WEXNERMEDICAL.OSU.EDU

show some damn respect

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Rotashield

WWW.CDC.GOV

Rotavirus Vaccine (RotaShield) and Intussusception: Historical Info

The effects of this were pretty immediate and was only given to about 7,000 kids, no one is saying all vaccines are perfect as there have been some recalled due to issues like this one, but long term effects aren't a thing.

18 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The effects of this were pretty immediate and was only given to about 7,000 kids, no one is saying all vaccines are perfect as there have been some recalled due to issues like this one, but long term effects aren't a thing.

Even then, it raised risks from 5/10000 to, at most, 7/10000 while also protecting from a disease that is usually easy to treat. Still not a long term effect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

That is incorrect. 7,000 was the number given prior to licensing. It was much more widely distributed prior to being removed from the market.

And Brick was indeed saying there has never been a vaccine taken off the market because of a side effect. He was wrong, and it is that sort of thing that opens the door for people who aren’t anti-vax to be persuaded by anti-vax people who say true AND misleading things.

Accuracy actually matters

@sblfilms

Yeah, he specifically said "after years" and "huge nasty side effect". This obviously leaves some room for interpretation, but in the link you provided, it said:

Based on the results of the investigations, CDC estimated that one or two additional cases of intussusception would be caused among each 10,000 infants vaccinated with RotaShield® vaccine.

Again, there is room for interpretation here, but at least in my book this hardly qualifies as a "huge nasty side effect" given the low numbers. To be clear, intussusception is serious, but by comparison, peanut allergies occur in about 1 in 50 babies. :shrug: 

And for the "after years" part:

The risk of intussusception increased 20 to 30 times over the expected risk for children of this age group within 2 weeks following the first dose of RotaShield® vaccine. The risk increased 3 to 7 times over the expected risk for this age group within two weeks after the second dose of RotaShield® vaccine. There was no increase in the risk of intussusception following the third dose of RotaShield® vaccine, or when three weeks had passed following any dose of the vaccine.

So the risk was increased within two weeks of receiving the first and second doses, and the vaccine was only available publicly for 9 months before it got pulled. (i.e. not in the trials, in which only 5 cases of intussusception occurred among 10,000 participants). This suggests to me that the side-effects appeared pretty quickly, not "after years". 

• Like 1

It was licensed in August of 1998 and taken off the market in October of 1999. And I would say intussusception in an infant is a pretty nasty side effect.

If you want to hang your hat on it only being a year and the relative risk of the certainly “nasty” side effect to white knight for Brick, be my guest.

The amusing part of this is that the Rotashield story is actually the sort of thing that should make people *more* confident in vaccine safety because the government and the pharma company were quick to identify an issue and pulled the product despite a very small increase in the nominal risk of intussusception. So instead of saying “it’s never happened!!!1!1!”, point out how rare it is to happen and how little damage a vaccine has to do before it will come off market.