~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

It was licensed in August of 1998 and taken off the market in October of 1999. And I would say intussusception in an infant is a pretty nasty side effect.

If you want to hang your hat on it only being a year and the relative risk of the certainly “nasty” side effect to white knight for Brick, be my guest.

The amusing part of this is that the Rotashield story is actually the sort of thing that should make people *more* confident in vaccine safety because the government and the pharma company were quick to identify an issue and pulled the product despite a very small increase in the nominal risk of intussusception. So instead of saying “it’s never happened!!!1!1!”, point out how rare it is to happen and how little damage a vaccine has to do before it will come off market.

You went from saying accuracy matters to calling us white-knights for pointing out the facts in his statement. Literally arguing for the sake of arguing bud lol.

• True 1

Just now, Joe said:

You went from saying accuracy matters to calling us white-knights for pointing out the facts in his statement. Literally arguing for the sake of arguing bud lol.

It is very clear that he didn’t think there as vaccines that have been pulled due to safety issues. Particularly so if you’ve paid attention to other things he has said on the topic. The arguing for arguing sake is acting as though pointing out an example of a vaccine being pulled for safety issues doesn’t fit because of the word “years” 🙄

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It is very clear that he didn’t think there as vaccines that have been pulled due to safety issues. Particularly so if you’ve paid attention to other things he has said on the topic. The arguing for arguing sake is acting as though pointing out an example of a vaccine being pulled for safety issues doesn’t fit because of the word “years” 🙄

The years is the crux of the argument. This wasn’t a long-term side effect at all.

I honestly haven’t seen Brick’s other posts on this issue, so if this was brought on by past stuff he’s said, fair enough.

17 minutes ago, Joe said:

The years is the crux of the argument. This wasn’t a long-term side effect at all.

I honestly haven’t seen Brick’s other posts on this issue, so if this was brought on by past stuff he’s said, fair enough.

You don’t think a side effect requiring the removal of organs constitutes “long term”? You don’t think a side effect that lead to death constitutes a “long term”? I’m genuinely curious what you do think is a long term side effect if those don’t fit the bill.

If a little over a year before it is pulled from market is apparently too short to qualify under the “years later”, fine I guess. 

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You don’t think a side effect requiring the removal of organs constitutes “long term”? You don’t think a side effect that lead to death constitutes a “long term”? I’m genuinely curious what you do think is a long term side effect if those don’t fit the bill.

If a little over a year before it is pulled from market is apparently too short to qualify under the “years later”, fine I guess. 

When people were discussing possible long term effects of the vaccine, they mean that an effect that appears years later. Not something that appears within a month of taking the vaccine.

I know people still waiting to take the COVID vaccine because they think people are going to start having cancer or strokes in a few years as a result of the vaccine.

32 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

iirc the cdc is concerned about side effects within a 6 month window which would be long term by any means

The intussusception (what even is this word) appeared within a month of the shot being administered. Not sure I’d count that as a long term side effect.

I guess this also hinges upon if you define long term side effect as either an effect with long term ramifications or an effect that doesn’t appear until later on. 

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

that sort of thing that opens the door for people who aren’t anti-vax to be persuaded by anti-vax people who say true AND misleading things.

I'm sorry are you implying that I could ever be persuaded by anti-vaxxers? 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

It is very clear that he didn’t think there as vaccines that have been pulled due to safety issues. Particularly so if you’ve paid attention to other things he has said on the topic

WTF now it sounds like you're implying I'm a gullible idiot, susceptible to misinformation. What exactly do you mean by this? 

When I said "years" I indeed meant years. Yes I am aware of vaccines getting recalled, but those are usually within the first handful of months. I am talking about vaccines being found to have negative side effects years and years later, because that's what the anti-vaxxers are afraid of and keep saying: "these vaccines are too new and we don't know the long term side effects yet". Five, ten, twenty years later. That's the length of time I'm talking about , because they're worried about these vaccines causing cancer, or heart disease, or dementia, or even fucking erectile dysfunction/infertility or something. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I'm sorry are you implying that I could ever be persuaded by anti-vaxxers? 

WTF now it sounds like you're implying I'm a gullible idiot, susceptible to misinformation. What exactly do you mean by this? 

When I said "years" I indeed meant years. Yes I am aware of vaccines getting recalled, but those are usually within the first handful of months. I am talking about vaccines being found to have negative side effects years and years later, because that's what the anti-vaxxers are afraid of and keep saying: "these vaccines are too new and we don't know the long term side effects yet". Five, ten, twenty years later. That's the length of time I'm talking about , because they're worried about these vaccines causing cancer, or heart disease, or dementia, or even fucking erectile dysfunction/infertility or something. 

I’m sorry, but you said long term effects and now you’re talking about late effects. If you meant late effects that is a whole other issue.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I guess this also hinges upon if you define long term side effect as either an effect with long term ramifications or an effect that doesn’t appear until later on. 

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/long-term-side-effect

I would say the correct understanding of long term side effects are those which persists for long periods, since that is DEFINITELY what the term means :p 

What you (and apparently) are talking about are late effects

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/late-effect

I forgive you for your misunderstanding ❤️

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m sorry, but you said long term effects and now you’re talking about late effects. If you meant late effects that is a whole other issue.

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/long-term-side-effect

I would say the correct understanding of long term side effects are those which persists for long periods, since that is DEFINITELY what the term means :p 

What you (and apparently) are talking about are late effects

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/late-effect

I forgive you for your misunderstanding ❤️

If you're going off medical definitions here why use an example of a vaccine that increased the chance of a short term medical problem? I mean, I guess it could become a long term problem if a parent ignores their kid's vomiting and bloody stool, but most medical issues can often become long term issues if left untreated and ignored. Like that splinter I got a few years back that got infected was totally a short term issue since I got some antibiotics for it. I guess ignoring it could have lead to long term issues, but we're not talking about those.

long-term-fb.jpg
WWW.CANCER.NET

Many people who have had cancer treatment have a risk of developing long-term side effects. These side effects can happen months or years after treatment. Evaluating and treating late effects is an...

This site uses long term side effect and late effect interchangeably. Doesn’t seem like there’s an established definition. 

Regardless, even if the term is late effect, what the people waiting on the vaccine are looking for is to see if late affects appear down the line.

10 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

If you're going off medical definitions here why use an example of a vaccine that increased the chance of a short term medical problem? I mean, I guess it could become a long term problem if a parent ignores their kid's vomiting and bloody stool, but most medical issues can often become long term issues if left untreated and ignored. Like that splinter I got a few years back that got infected was totally a short term issue since I got some antibiotics for it. I guess ignoring it could have lead to long term issues, but we're not talking about those.

In the case of the Rotashield, there were two deaths and surgeries performed to remove sections of affected children’s bowels. The issue is specifically serious in the case of infants and the initial suspension of the Rotashield vaccine was only for those under the age of 2.

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

Those are the effects that anti vaxxers  or vaxx hesitant are talking about when they say they are worried about long term effects! Literally every one of them says that.

They whine about both. What do you think all the chirping about myocarditis is? 

10 minutes ago, Joe said:
long-term-fb.jpg
WWW.CANCER.NET

Many people who have had cancer treatment have a risk of developing long-term side effects. These side effects can happen months or years after treatment. Evaluating and treating late effects is an...

This site uses long term side effect and late effect interchangeably. Doesn’t seem like there’s an established definition. 

I actually don’t think they are being used interchangeably in the article you linked. One is describing when something occurs (months/years in the future) and one is describing duration of occurrence (for months/years).

Brick in his clarification post is talking explicitly about late effects as he is talking about things occurring in the future.

But the reason it might seem as though they are interchangeable is a late effect (in the future) could also be long term (for a long period) which the article does describe some effects as both. But that doesn’t make them interchangeable.

On 11/7/2021 at 1:21 AM, vaxick said:

According to Ohio State University, long-term side effects from vaccines have never been a thing.  The whole modern paranoia clearly stems from the nutty autism conspiracy theory that continues to be a thing since parents cannot possibly accept their child was born autistic and we're better at diagnosing it than we were in the past.

vaccinelongtermeffects_small.jpg
WEXNERMEDICAL.OSU.EDU

How could we possibly know whether long-term side effects are possible, when COVID-19 vaccines just began clinical trials in 2020? An @OSUWexMed infectious disease...

It’s this, but for vaccines / autism.

graph-left-handed-people-by-year-1jukq6o

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

This is because we don't beat kids over it anymore. 

Yes, that is the point. :p I don’t think there’s a ton of evidence that there is “more” autism than there was back in the day, we’re just better at recognizing it. Likewise we’re not making more left handed children, we just don’t force them into being right handed anymore.

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yes, that is the point. :p I don’t think there’s a ton of evidence that there is “more” autism than there was back in the day, we’re just better at recognizing it. Likewise we’re not making more left handed children, we just don’t force them into being right handed anymore.

And yet we still suck at recognizing it, especially in girls. It's cool that doctors will often ignore the signs of autism is girls because being quiet or meek or shy or super into playing with dolls by yourself instead of socializing or whatever is seen as normal girl behavior, even if it means going undiagnosed becomes a much bigger problem later in life.

16-late-1.es_.png
CHILDMIND.ORG

Girls with autism often go undiagnosed because they don’t fit autism stereotypes and may mask symptoms better than boys do. Many more boys than girls are diagnosed on the autism spectrum: more...

It took a lot of effort to find someone that could definitively tell us if my daughter was autistic. That's in spite of her checking off nearly every autistic behavior box there is. When we finally got her in front of the right person, she scored a 41.5 on CARS. As we start getting better at diagnosing autism, especially in half the population, those numbers will continue to rise and idiots will continue to claim it's the vaccines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I will NEVER forgive Oprah Winfrey for giving Jenny McCarthy one of the most prominent media platforms to spout her nonsense about the (totally non-existent) link between vaccines and autism.

And Dr Oz

And Dr Phil

Come to think of it, is there anyone she platformed that wasn't complete shit?