~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

My company wants me to move to Texas. I keep saying no. I can’t imagine living in that dumb ass state. #Jersey4Life

If you move to Houston I’ll gladly take you to every ALCS game here where Houston beats the Yankees. It’ll be sublime!

Just now, Chris- said:

I saw a picture of the Katy Freeway the other day and my jaw dropped; @b_m_b_m_b_m would be on the floor if he saw that fucking thing. Makes I-5 look like a country road. 

It’s a monstrosity. Absolutely grotesque.

4 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I saw a picture of the Katy Freeway the other day and my jaw dropped; @b_m_b_m_b_m would be on the floor if he saw that fucking thing. Makes I-5 look like a country road. 

Something that blew my mind a few years ago was learning that Canada has the busiest freeway in North America. It doesn't make sense at first because we only have around 1/11th the pop of the US...but then it does make sense when you realize that like 50% of that population lives in the Greater Toronto Area, lol.

awj1UdH.jpg

450px-Highway_401.png

Don’t be fooled, the Biden admin has been overly conservative in the vaccine distribution estimates since before he took office (remember 100 millions doses in the first 100 days when we already were at 1 million/day on Inauguration Day 😂). This is where the pharmas have been headed this whole time.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Don’t be fooled, the Biden admin has been overly conservative in the vaccine distribution estimates since before he took office (remember 100 millions doses in the first 100 days when we already were at 1 million/day on Inauguration Day 😂). This is where the pharmas have been headed this whole time.

Under promise and over deliver

42 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Something that blew my mind a few years ago was learning that Canada has the busiest freeway in North America. It doesn't make sense at first because we only have around 1/11th the pop of the US...but then it does make sense when you realize that like 50% of that population lives in the Greater Toronto Area, lol.

awj1UdH.jpg

450px-Highway_401.png

probably the best thing about being let go from my job is that I don’t have to drive anymore. It was a fucking nightmare at times, especially after a snow storm. Transport trucks having sometimes blocks of ice falling all around me and pieces of shredded tires too. Although I didn’t like the highway the taxi took us on in Austin, TX there. Well at least the twisty portion I could see outside my hotel window at The DoubleTree

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Good. 

America has been neglecting public education for many decades.  Most public schools are old buildings and have outdated ventilation and electrical systems.  Classrooms are overcrowded, and teachers are ridiculously underpaid.

Now the GOP is talking about how important it is for kids to get back to school ASAP following or during the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown, but they still don’t want to fix those issues. They just want to pin all the blame on the teacher unions.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I suppose it’s better than the inverse!

I certainly felt that way last year when I heard the virus wouldn’t come here and it’ll get warm in April.

I still don’t get how a guy who spent so much time in Florida doesn’t understand that it was already warm in Florida and the virus was still spreading. Whatever, this is how it should be!

A friend and I set plans to try and meet up in mid-April.  We chose that back in June.

Since then, I have gotten the vaccine and should get my second dose in about 3 weeks, so I should be fine.  She, however, has not gotten hers yet.  She lives in Indiana, and they so far are only factoring age and employment, not comorbidities.  She said she'll see how things are by the end of March.

And that's fair enough.  If we met up and she got Covid...I don't know if I could ever forgive myself.

Just now, marioandsonic said:

A friend and I set plans to try and meet up in mid-April.  We chose that back in June.

Since then, I have gotten the vaccine and should get my second dose in about 3 weeks, so I should be fine.  She, however, has not gotten hers yet.  She lives in Indiana, and they so far are only factoring age and employment, not comorbidities.  She said she'll see how things are by the end of March.

And that's fair enough.  If we met up and she got Covid...I don't know if I could ever forgive myself.

She ain't gettin' Covid in June unless she decides she just doesn't want the vaccine or we get a very vaccine resistant mutation, and were all boned at that point :p 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I do have to say left turns being illegal when I drive in south Jersey makes me hate driving there. I also don't like others pumping my gas, but I've learned to live with that. But no left turns is a sin. 

They do love their jug handles

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

She ain't gettin' Covid in June unless she decides she just doesn't want the vaccine or we get a very vaccine resistant mutation, and were all boned at that point :p 

They want to meet up in April doe.

58 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I suppose it’s better than the inverse!

A lot of damage was done by Trump repeatedly setting unrealistic expectations, including it just exhausting people into giving up when the rosy promises turned out to be bullshit and the finish line gets moved back another few months. It's just infinitely better expectations management to under-promise and over-deliver, doubly so when you need long-term cooperation from the public. Telling us end of July and now it's the end of May at least sends some hope, even if the current message still boils down to "you need to hang on for a bit longer" since it's at least less of a bit longer than it was a month ago.

Just now, Jason said:

They want to meet up in April doe.

LOL, I read the second sentence as "we chose to move that back to June" or something along those lines when I read it. April is certainly more iffy, depends on the exact date. But I'd guess anything after the middle of the month she has a solid shot of having received the 1st dose and the effects happen fairly rapidly in young healthy folks.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

A lot of damage was done by Trump repeatedly setting unrealistic expectations, including it just exhausting people into giving up when the rosy promises turned out to be bullshit and the finish line gets moved back another few months. It's just infinitely better expectations management to under-promise and over-deliver, doubly so when you need long-term cooperation from the public. Telling us end of July and now it's the end of May at least sends some hope, even if the current message still boils down to "you need to hang on for a bit longer" since it's at least less of a bit longer than it was a month ago.

Yes, I think there are indeed psychological benefits to under promise/over deliver. And psychological benefits are often able to turn into tangible benefits in terms of actions.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

If you move to Houston I’ll gladly take you to every ALCS game here where Houston beats the Yankees. It’ll be sublime!

It would be The Woodlands area so we definitely could but the Houston sports scene is imploding.  Thanks for Harden though. 

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Left turns are illegal and you can't pump your own gas in NJ.

Who's smooth brain now?

Wow. They are illegal in south Jersey because Philadelphians can’t drive for shit and are a fucking menace on the road.  

Not pumping your own gas is the greatest American gift ever. 

19 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Wow. They are illegal in south Jersey because Philadelphians can’t drive for shit and are a fucking menace on the road.  

Not pumping your own gas is the greatest American gift ever. 

All of the Northeast drives aggressively bad (as opposed to the west coast, where it's just bad) but having driven here all my life . . . Jersey drivers are the worst, but left turns are illegal in Jersey because Philadelphians can't drive? From what I recall the reason Jersey drivers are bad is because the tests and requirements to get a license there are less stringest. If that's true, that explains it. 

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

All of the Northeast drives aggressively bad (as opposed to the west coast, where it's just bad) but having driven here all my life . . . Jersey drivers are the worst, but left turns are illegal in Jersey because Philadelphians can't drive? From what I recall the reason Jersey drivers are bad is because the tests and requirements to get a license there are less stringest. If that's true, that explains it. 

PA drivers used to be able to get their license at Sears and have no idea that the left lane is for passing. /argument 

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Left turns are illegal and you can't pump your own gas in NJ.

Who's smooth brain now?

I’m sorry, did I just get looked down upon by someone who has to exit the comfort of their own vehicle and pump their own gas like a fucking peasant?  Perhaps too much close exposure to the gasoline vapors has eroded part of your brain necessary for critical thinking.  Imagine making the argument that doing unpaid menial labor and touching the same pump as the teeming unwashed masses probably right after taking a shit and not washing their hands, then phrasing it as a privilege.  

• Haha 5