~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

@chakoo is not a fan.

I think it was fine to be cautious, but I also think the data coming in from relatively early on was pretty compelling which is why I have been an advocate for a slight preference towards first doses policy for a while now. The math just makes too much sense. I think the biggest issue is making sure you have a good system to recall people 3-4 months down the road as opposed to what most are doing right now and giving a second dose appointment date at the time of the first one since it's only 3-4 weeks after the first.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think it was fine to be cautious, but I also think the data coming in from relatively early on was pretty compelling which is why I have been an advocate for a slight preference towards first doses policy for a while now. The math just makes too much sense. I think the biggest issue is making sure you have a good system to recall people 3-4 months down the road as opposed to what most are doing right now and giving a second dose appointment date at the time of the first one since it's only 3-4 weeks after the first.

Given how slow the rollout has been in Canada, it DEFINITELY makes sense to do a one shot strategy.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

This ad keeps popping up on my Facebook feed:

5vKFsBr.jpg

Speaking of ads, I be getting ads for pillow cube and that lady is very nice looking. 

But for the reason I came here, Coke still taste like ass, but I have no clue what causes it. It seems like everything else tastes normal now except for coke, and my uncle who came over to install my dishwasher smelled exactly how coke tastes. I think it has something to due with the snuff he chews. 

14 minutes ago, silentbob said:

This 4th wave is going to get bad. These are probably the same type of people who go watch the huge crashing waves on the boardwalks. While the Category 3 or greater Hurricane is just spinning off shore, kind of mentality 

What would someone vaccinated be in this scenario?  Someone who's already evacuated, or someone that's also watching the waves but while inside an everything-proof dome?

13 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

What would someone vaccinated be in this scenario?  Someone who's already evacuated, or someone that's also watching the waves but while inside an everything-proof dome?

They would be the ones that followed safety advice and evacuated the area of danger and/or got themselves the shot. The idiots are the one ignoring public warnings of caution watching the waves getting bigger in front of them. Pretty sure the only shots given here would be from either the bottle or the gun they brought to shoot at the storm thinking they can stop it with their 2nd amendment 

2 hours ago, Joe said:

"Haha stupid Texas cutting their parachute lines 100 feet above the ground...oh wait that actually sounds like fun." This is so dumb. The decline in case rates is stalling out, and the metrics were set before new, highly transmissible, vaccine-resistant strains were spreading around. So we're likely to find ourselves reopening right as the numbers are going back up, which would mean the reason they'd be going up is not the reopening, meaning the resurgence will only be amplified by the reopening.

1304961930.jpg
LA.EATER.COM

A new vaccine redistribution project from state officials will, when completed, likely push many Southern California counties into the less restrictive red tier for reopening — and...

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

They think the anti-shutdown crowd is bitching now, just wait until we have to shut back down again in April or May after it was looking like we might have a normalish summer. 

Rich folks, politicians, and their families have all received the vaccine. I'm not sure what risk there is to open everything up now.

11 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Rich folks, politicians, and their families have all received the vaccine. I'm not sure what risk there is to open everything up now.

So one fun part of this is that wineries will be allowed to reopen for indoors but breweries and distilleries won't. As far as I can tell, wineries being treated distinctly from the other is purely about Newsom owning a winery.

5 hours ago, Joe said:

@chakoo is not a fan.

I'm in Ontario, so not the same province. I have my own issues with how my province is rolling this out by just being behind and disorganized.

With that said, My issue is not purely single dose. It was that it was being thrown out as the perfect solution without the full data yet to back it up or verify, it was just projections from a small window. During the early rollout of in israel they were finding the efficacy less than what was stated by pfizer. At the current time we now have more data to backup that it's an ok path to take but there is still gaps in the data for long term (but so is the case from two doses as it hasn't had the time needed).

By all means, feel free to not get your second shot if you believe strongly in it. :sun:  I'll be fine if I have to wait till the summer for me to get my shot, I'm a WFH software engineer anyways. 

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

So one fun part of this is that wineries will be allowed to reopen for indoors but breweries and distilleries won't. As far as I can tell, wineries being treated distinctly from the other is purely about Newsom owning a winery.

I really appreciate his transparency here.

11 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I'm in Ontario, so not the same province. I have my own issues with how my province is rolling this out by just being behind and disorganized.

With that said, My issue is not purely single dose. It was that it was being thrown out as the perfect solution without the full data yet to back it up or verify, it was just projections from a small window. During the early rollout of in israel they were finding the efficacy less than what was stated by pfizer. At the current time we now have more data to backup that it's an ok path to take but there is still gaps in the data for long term (but so is the case from two doses as it hasn't had the time needed).

By all means, feel free to not get your second shot if you believe strongly in it. :sun:  I'll be fine if I have to wait till the summer for me to get my shot, I'm a WFH software engineer anyways. 

Oh, I wasn’t trying to suggest that your concerns were invalid at all. Just was curious for your take given the new info.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Oh, I wasn’t trying to suggest that your concerns were invalid at all. Just was curious for your take given the new info.

You have a very odd way of asking. :batting:

In that case, like I mention the new data seems to support that it should be ok to delay but I haven't really had time to dig into any new info on skipping the 2nd shot entirely to say how I feel on that half of it yet. This might be a non issue in short order with J&J due for approval any day now in Canada. Yet we also have to see what long term impact variants like SA & BZ will have on things specially with all having reduced efficacy with it. So *shrug*, I really don't know atm. 

image.jpg
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

Health Canada is just 'days away' from deciding whether to approve Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Shouldn't be an issue to go one-shot strat with this one.

In reality, it seems that single-dose from the mRNA vaccines is around the same efficacy as the single-dose J&J vaccine. Hard to compare completely since the mRNA trials were pre-variant, while J&J (and AZ) was in the middle of the variants.

38 minutes ago, Joe said:

Shouldn't be an issue to go one-shot strat with this one.

Yep specially with it being design and tested for that. This is great news as this one is easier to roll out in terms of storage as well. If production numbers can ramp up quickly for this one we might see vaccination through pharmacies with this one (up here you can get your flu shot through a local pharmacy).

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Rollout is picking up speed in Canada, which is great. Still have a ways to go, of course:

bPZQ2Gf.jpg

We need to hit about 230,000/day to reach the goal of everyone receiving at least one shot by the end of June.

Ontario continues to be a cluster ***k though because they left it up to the regional health to sort it out. so we have some places already vaccinating 80 year olds and Toronto saying they'll just sit on their deliveries until a web portal is finished by mid march. 

:facepalm:

6 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Ontario continues to be a cluster ***k though because they left it up to the regional health to sort it out. so we have some places already vaccinating 80 year olds and Toronto saying they'll just sit on their deliveries until a web portal is finished by mid march. 

:facepalm:

Yeah Ontario has handled this entire pandemic poorly, Ford is a moron. He has set it up so that he can blame the Federal government for one side of the issue (procurement) and the municipalities for the other side (delivery) since he's washed his hands. Saskatchewan actually just combined all our health authorities into one large amalgam recently, so our rollout has been fantastic, we are literally using up 100% of the supply we receive within days. Our government is also regressive and dumb, but a centralized health region turned out to have been a good idea for at least this type of event.

Trudeau just said that Pfizer will be delivering an extra 3.5 million doses over Mar/Apr/May. 8 million total doses arriving in March, for the four approved vaccines. Theoretically that puts first-dose vaccination around 25% of the adult pop by April, assuming the provinces can keep up with rolling it out.

2KBAI6CYPVBZZO5YRVKLY5CN3U.jpg
WWW.WAFB.COM

The woman posted a photo of the barista on Facebook saying, “Meet Lenin from Starbucks who refused to serve me cause I’m not wearing a mask. Next time I will wait for cops and bring a medical exemption.” It went viral.

• Guillotine 2