~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

10 minutes ago, Joe said:

Vaccine hesitancy is highest among White Republicans, which there aren't a ton of relatively here, so I'm really hoping we don't need to use such an absurd tactic. 

This is not really an accurate way of looking at the problem. Nominally the highest vaccine hesitant group is 18-40 year olds, somewhere in the 35% range but that translates to substantially higher nominal numbers than white republicans who are hesitant.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If people are allowed to be exempted from wearing masks (if they are vaccinated), then the suburban hog people who are anti-mask are just going to lie and say they have been. Stores aren't going to ask for proof. This is why mask mandates (and restrictions) need to be in place for as long as we can convince people to follow them.

There will be a point where we need more people to get vaccinated that won’t want to without getting something for it. I guarantee when nations hit that point they will look to policy changes like reducing restrictions for vaccinated folks. And there are schemes to prevent lying, like what Israel is doing with green badges which you have to have to go into green zones.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

This is not really an accurate way of looking at the problem. Nominally the highest vaccine hesitant group is 18-40 year olds, somewhere in the 35% range but that translates to substantially higher nominal numbers than white republicans who are hesitant.

There will be a point where we need more people to get vaccinated that won’t want to without getting something for it. I guarantee when nations hit that point they will look to policy changes like reducing restrictions for vaccinated folks. And there are schemes to prevent lying, like what Israel is doing with green badges which you have to have to go into green zones.

Since around 80% of people in Canada (and maybe 60-70% in the US?) seem to want the vaccine, then if we lift restrictions at that point I think we'll be pretty safe.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You think the country full of people that can't be bothered to wear masks to save lives are going to wear green badges to prove they were vaccinated?!

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think that’s what will happen if the data continues to come in that direction. It’s a risk/reward question that governments will have to assess. But young and healthy people are for sure going to be less likely to get the vaccine if they don’t feel a personal benefit, because humanity y’know.

I'm asking that because my one grandmother, while not anti-mask, is not a fan of wearing one either, and says she finds it hard to breathe while wearing one.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Since around 80% of people in Canada (and maybe 60-70% in the US?) seem to want the vaccine, then if we lift restrictions at that point I think we'll be pretty safe.

This is exactly what I’m arguing will happen. We will hit a point where vaccines are widely available and the growth in percentage of vaccinated people comes to a screeching halt. Health officials will have to start making the risk/reward calculations on policy recommendations moving forward to encourage more people to participate. 

I think that’s an easy call if the unmasked/vaccinated transmission rate is indeed lower than the masked/unvaccinated transmission rate.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

You think the country full of people that can't be bothered to wear masks to save lives are going to wear green badges to prove they were vaccinated?!

It is a phone app, you just show it when you enter a green zone facility. And yes, I think many people will trade showing a phone app for not having to wear a mask any longer.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

I guess we'll see where we are in a couple months, but I don't see mask restrictions being ended as an incentive to get vaccinated will be used by governors in states with semi-sane populations.

I can maybe see something like the green badge idea in specific situations but not in general. It would be a fucking nightmare to enforce "you can take your mask off if you're vaccinated but have to keep it on if you aren't" in a situation like a supermarket. 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

It is a phone app, you just show it when you enter a green zone facility. And yes, I think many people will trade showing a phone app for not having to wear a mask any longer.

You know there's going to be high overlap between "the vaccines are 5G mind control nanoprobes" crowd and people who are going to insist a phone app like that is the government forcing the mark of the devil on them. 

• Haha 1

I think the most depressing part of this pandemic, other than the tremendous loss of life of course, is that we are so fucking stupid as a country we managed to politicize mask wearing. I try not to think about it too much because it REALLY gets me somehow simultaneously furious and depressed.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

I think the most depressing part of this pandemic, other than the tremendous loss of life of course, is that we are so fucking stupid as a country we managed to politicize mask wearing. I try not to think about it too much because it REALLY gets me somehow simultaneously furious and depressed.

And all because Trump thought he'd look like a pussy wearing one in public. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

And all because Trump thought he'd look like a pussy wearing one in public. 

This is really all it came down to. Had this happened under Bush or, potentially, McCain or Romney, masks could have easily been pushed as a patriotic duty. Nobody can convince me otherwise. Trump was too stupid to realize that leading here would have given him a landslide victory in 2020.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is really all it came down to. Had this happened under Bush or, potentially, McCain or Romney, masks could have easily been pushed as a patriotic duty. Nobody can convince me otherwise. Trump was too stupid to realize that leading here would have given him a landslide victory in 2020.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

I still can't believe he didn't go like Patriot Act on steroids and close all the borders and go insane on restrictions. 

Remember that plan USPS had to send out masks to every household that he scuttled? Imagine if he'd instead just insisted on sticking a signed letter in the package like he did with the stimulus checks taking credit for it and saying he wanted you to wear the masks in public.

And his "flight bans" ranged from ineffective to making things worse. The China ban was just a ban on Chinese people flying in from China specifically, and announcing the Europe ban as a late-night tweet and then taking 48 hours to clarify what exactly the rules were caused chaos at European airports. Tons of people who crowded through on flights connecting via Heathrow probably gave our spread a huge bump, whereas if it'd been made clear that you'd be let back in whenever you wanted and that your options were not "get home within 2 days or be stuck in Europe indefinitely" I'm sure the vast majority of those people who rushed back to the US would have just hunkered down wherever they were.

26 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Just got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. That was fun. Got it along with my "got vaccinated" card that the nurse swears is super important.

I gotta emphasize the take a picture of the card thing because I'm pretty sure I already lost my card lmao

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I gotta emphasize the take a picture of the card thing because I'm pretty sure I already lost my card lmao

My wife put mine in the folder she got from my mother with my childhood medical records precisely because I’d probably have lost it by now

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

When we came back from the appointment, I was like "FUCK, I think I already lost it!" When I finally found it, my wife immediately pinned that shit on the fridge.

Just now, sblfilms said:

China hates Japan so much they will piss everybody off to screw with them. Impressively petty

From working at a sushi restaurant, I can tell you that all Asians secretly or not so secretly hate the Japanese.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

BDD56152-F52-A-4326-A07-E-5-B60-C748-AF79

People in general are much more attractive when you can only see their eyes

My facial hair is shitty like 90% of the time specifically because I wear a mask all day so who gives a shit.

Also I chipped one of my front teeth almost exactly a year ago, still chipped. No one cares.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SilentWorld said:

@CitizenVectron Your thoughts? 

Looks like every province in Canada is moving to this model based on the evidence of strong first-dose response. Using this model, it appears that everyone in Canada will receive at least one dose by the end of June (with older people already having received two, and the more of the public getting their second). It looks good to me.