~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

I take it you’re going to buy an old man costume?

Just say I'm immunocompromised like I did to get a full Moderna shot, it's honor system, they can't ask you for proof. Although even if they could the CDC has a pretty broad definition of what constitutes being immunocompromised, I'm on an immunosuppressant (nothing too hardcore or anything...but it's an immunosuppressant).

16 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I’m at around 5 months for my booster so hopefully more comes out about it soon…My only real concern is overloading my immune system, which I read is a plausible outcome of receiving too many boosters?

I've seen the talk of overloading your immune system but I've also seen talk of every six months being a realistic possibility? I think with people with legitimately destroyed immune systems they can pick up the pace because the whole problem in the first place is that the body isn't really responding to the vaccine from shot 1.

My uncle made a quick visit to let us know he was retiring from The Beer Store come May 20th. He was talking about how he is still wearing his mask and was confronted by a customer saying he doesn’t have to wear it. My uncle told the fella “it’s because I still live in reality and the virus didn’t leave because Ford dropped mandate” He’s not afraid to tell them the truth and add a little kind FU in there too. 

23 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The predicted repeat of the Omicron wave with BA2 has still not hit.  Numbers are going up, but slowly.

Why?

That "where testing is still allowed" bit just maybe has something to do with it, eh? 

Something was making my manager sick on Monday, and I went into work to cover the rest of his shift. Took a test at work and came back negative. This morning my other manager came down with what the other has and wanted me in, but I think I’m coming down with something too. My throat kinda hurts, rushing to the bathroom  emergency shits (3 as I type in the past 2hrs) and my sleep has been almost non existing this week with my weed. It ain’t just me who are having this insomnia issues, but the weird thing is I’m more awake/wired with less sleep then waking up after an ok sleep. Last week I would be in bed by 12:30-1am and be fully awake ready to start my day. . . .at 3-3:30am. Sometimes I would just lay in bed and toss/turn and hope to fall asleep but don’t. Sometimes I would hit my bong again and that would overall helped me rest my eyes but only did twice because of morning shifts for work. Who know what I really have, because this is also the start of my allergy season and some of these symptoms are very close (minus the shits) to what I get with them for most of April. Might just be a bit worse because I’m walking occasionally more with no mask to filter out most of the allergens (unlike the past 2 years) 

11 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Something was making my manager sick on Monday, and I went into work to cover the rest of his shift. Took a test at work and came back negative. This morning my other manager came down with what the other has and wanted me in, but I think I’m coming down with something too. My throat kinda hurts, rushing to the bathroom  emergency shits (3 as I type in the past 2hrs) and my sleep has been almost non existing this week with my weed. It ain’t just me who are having this insomnia issues, but the weird thing is I’m more awake/wired with less sleep then waking up after an ok sleep. Last week I would be in bed by 12:30-1am and be fully awake ready to start my day. . . .at 3-3:30am. Sometimes I would just lay in bed and toss/turn and hope to fall asleep but don’t. Sometimes I would hit my bong again and that would overall helped me rest my eyes but only did twice because of morning shifts for work. Who know what I really have, because this is also the start of my allergy season and some of these symptoms are very close (minus the shits) to what I get with them for most of April. Might just be a bit worse because I’m walking occasionally more with no mask to filter out most of the allergens (unlike the past 2 years) 

We had our first like solid 80 degree week last week which basically triggered every plant to spring to life and the pollen season to go off.

I eventually had to take Allegra each night just to be able to breathe as I slept. Seems to have mostly passed this week. Hope you feel better soon

On 3/27/2022 at 10:55 AM, Ghost_MH said:

I really don't understand the whole "children's mental health" worry when it comes to masks. Social distancing and not taking kids out, I get, but that has nothing to do with masks. Are my kids anomalies? Even my autistic daughter is now perfectly fine with masks and she's not much of a fan of clothes, in general. We're all home, enjoying a lazy Sunday and, I kid you not, my oldest and youngest, are wearing masks right now because they just felt like it...and also because they found a small pack of masks and ripped it open behind my back.

some of my students actually preferred the masks because they felt like they were judged less because of how they look. 

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

some of my students actually preferred the masks because they felt like they were judged less because of how they look. 

That's exactly the reason why I continue to wear one.

That, and I've decided that the rest of the world has no goddamned right or privilege to see my face.

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2022 at 8:47 AM, Chris- said:

I’m at around 5 months for my booster so hopefully more comes out about it soon…My only real concern is overloading my immune system, which I read is a plausible outcome of receiving too many boosters?

Everyone on Ars Technica (the one news site in existence with a good informed comments section) thinks this "immune overload/wearout stuff" is is antivax nonsense that's over-extrapolating from giving the initial doses too close together (2-3 weeks apart instead of 2-3 months apart), and that probably the worst you can do is just waste a dose.

So knowing that,

The Simpsons Beer GIF

2 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I put one on on Tuesday because it was cold as shit and you're dammed right I'm going to continue using one in places like pharmacies, grocery stores, and at work. People are nasty. 

It was cold as shit the last few days.  I hated it.  I hate inconsistent March/April weather.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Everyone on Ars Technica (the one news site in existence with a good informed comments section) thinks this "immune overload/wearout stuff" is is antivax nonsense that's over-extrapolating from giving the initial doses too close together (2-3 weeks apart instead of 2-3 months apart), and that probably the worst you can do is just waste a dose.

So knowing that,

The Simpsons Beer GIF

Also someone pointed an actual example of "immune wearout" in a comment that got a healthy number of upvotes:

Situations where the immune system CAN get exhausted are chronic pathogen infections such as tuberculosis or HIV where you have large amounts of bacteria or virus sticking around for extended periods of time.