Age limit now 21 across US for cigarettes, tobacco products

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/age-limit-now-21-across-us-for-cigarettes-tobacco-products

Anyone under 21 can no longer legally buy cigarettes, cigars or any other tobacco products in the U.S.

The new law enacted last week by Congress also applies to electronic cigarettes and vaping products that heat a liquid containing nicotine.

The provision raising the legal limit from 18 to 21 nationwide was in a massive spending bill passed by Congress and signed by the president on Dec. 20. About one-third of states already had their own laws restricting tobacco sales to people 21 and older.

“This is a major step in protecting the next generation of children from becoming addicted to tobacco products,” new FDA commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn tweeted last week.

Usually, new legislation doesn’t take effect right away. The change simply increased the age limit in existing law, so it was able to go into effect immediately, a spokesman for the Food and Drug Administration said Friday.

The agency has regulated tobacco products since 2009. It enforces the law partly through spot checks. Stores can be fined or barred from selling tobacco for repeat violations.

Anti-smoking advocates said the higher age limit should make it more difficult for young people to get tobacco, particularly high school students who had friends or classmates over 18 buy for them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I hate smoking and wish it would be eradicated, but it seems weird to me that we’re okay with sending 18 year olds off to war, but they can’t legally smoke, drink, or gamble. 

I think upping the age to 21 is good for health reasons but this does bug me. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I hate smoking and wish it would be eradicated, but it seems weird to me that we’re okay with sending 18 year olds off to war, but they can’t legally smoke, drink, or gamble. 

The law that Nevada had passed but wouldn't have taken effect until 2021 allowed 18 yo with military IDs to continue to purchase tobacco. Everybody else would have needed to be 21.

As others have said, I can't stand smoking and wish no one would, but any way you slice it the age 21 restriction is stupid.

The military service is a popular example, but there are countless things we allow 18 year olds to do that are just as consequential as contracting an addiction to tobacco. It is, after all, generally where our culture has decided one becomes an adult. 

Hell, 15 and 16 year olds can drive, and few things kill more people each year than automobile accidents.

Just tax the fuck out of cigerette purchases, that would be my preferred deterrent.

Practically, the law isn’t going to prevent many 18-20 year olds from smoking. They’ll get cigarettes m from their college buddies, coworkers, etc. What it will do is make it harder for 13-17 year old to get cigarettes because the 18 year old seniors won’t be able to buy them. I tend to think that’s a good thing. 

Less people smoking is a good thing so I’m not really concerned about the mental gymnastics of how we get there. Especially since if you can stop a young person from smoking you likely prevent them for smoking for life since I don’t know anyone who randomly started smoking at 40. 

A quick search for meta studies relating to 21 year old alcohol laws on pubmed supports raising the age. It limits availability to youth and decreases alcohol related mortality. I don’t support giving 18-20 year olds criminal records for possession, just restricting sales and civil fines. 

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

A quick search for meta studies relating to 21 year old alcohol laws on pubmed supports raising the age. It limits availability to youth and decreases alcohol related mortality. I don’t support giving 18-20 year olds criminal records for possession, just restricting sales and civil fines. 

My ideal law would look like this:  18 and up can consume alcohol, but the legal driving limit for those under 21 is 0.04, and over 21 it is 0.08.

23 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

My ideal law would look like this:  18 and up can consume alcohol, but the legal driving limit for those under 21 is 0.04, and over 21 it is 0.08.

This seems to be based on literally nothing.

54 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This seems to be based on literally nothing.

Sure it does.  Drunk driving constitutes a majority of alcohol related deaths.  Younger people also have less experience behind the wheel.  Throw in alcohol and the situation becomes worse.  I believe an 18 year old is adult - they should be able to enjoy adult things.  By halving the legal limit for 18-20 year olds, it allows them to drink, but it essentially forces them to not drive because of the absurdly low BAC for their age group.

5 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

OVI limit should be 0.02 across the board, no matter the age. We're far too lenient on impaired driving (but paradoxically too reliant on cars to be more strict without significant pushback)

Age 19 for cigs/vapes, weed, and booze, but 21 for spirits.

Utahs .05 limit has worked pretty well I think. At least within my friend circle its pretty much put a stop to the DD having one or two drinks.