The Snyder Cut is real...and it's SPECTACULAR!

TwinIon

I asked earlier if there was a director's or extended cut of Suicide Squad, and someone said there is, but according to Ayer there isn't even though he would love to make one if WB was more willing to let him. 

ss-1280jpg-6523d3.jpg?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

David Ayer has expressed his desire to release his original cut of Suicide Squad, following on from the success of Zack Snyder's Justice League.

So the theatrical cut is in fact the only version out there? 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I asked earlier if there was a director's or extended cut of Suicide Squad, and someone said there is, but according to Ayer there isn't even though he would love to make one if WB was more willing to let him. 

ss-1280jpg-6523d3.jpg?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

David Ayer has expressed his desire to release his original cut of Suicide Squad, following on from the success of Zack Snyder's Justice League.

So the theatrical cut is in fact the only version out there? 

No, there is an extended cut. Ayer wants his cut, which isn't the extended cut and hasn't happened. It basically adds in more Joker and Harley Quinn backstory scenes. Link here: 

BLURAY.HIGHDEFDIGEST.COM

'The latest news on all things 4k Ultra HD, Blu-ray and Gear'

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:
Jonathan-Kent-in-Man-of-Steel-and-Superm
SCREENRANT.COM

Supes got what he needed to hear from Pa Kent.

The story about Pa Kent saving the farm would have definitely made Man of Steel better and more thematically cohesive, giving us and Clark a reason to question "good" actions. We still would have had the problem with Superman being mostly unaware of innocent bystanders in his super fights, but it might have been easier to shrug that off as "Snyder makes shit look cool".

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The story about Pa Kent saving the farm would have definitely made Man of Steel better and more thematically cohesive, giving us and Clark a reason to question "good" actions. We still would have had the problem with Superman being mostly unaware of innocent bystanders in his super fights, but it might have been easier to shrug that off as "Snyder makes shit look cool".

Yeah Snyder must have realized how fucked up he made the Kents and retroactively tried to "fix" it with that audio which I'm sure was just outtakes of existing dialogue. It still doesn't do the job, but its better than what's there. He really made the Kents assholes in Man of Steel.

I have the Snyder cut on now and the scene in this where the realize they can possibly bring Superman back is SO much better than in the Whedon cut.

17 minutes ago, Komusha said:

Good for you, I guess? Weird flex but okay lol

He wasn’t flexing and didn’t say it in any kind of aggressive or insulting way. Chill. 

Now myself on the other hand....The whole length of this thing has become such an utter asinine talking point. It’s not an unheard of length for a movie. It’s rare but not some great unexplored frontier to have a 4 hour movie. Gettysburg, Lawrence of Arabia, Gone With the Wind are all 4 hour movies. Not to mention that despite its obvious bloat The Snyder Cut is relatively well paced so it doesn’t seem as long. 

I finished it in one sitting. It wasn’t hard. I enjoyed it. If anyone couldn’t finish it in one sitting than I declare them to be a moron. 

Now THAT is a weird flex. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

He wasn’t flexing and didn’t say it in any kind of aggressive or insulting way. Chill. 

Now myself on the other hand....The whole length of this thing has become such an utter asinine talking point. It’s not an unheard of length for a movie. It’s rare but not some great unexplored frontier to have a 4 hour movie. Gettysburg, Lawrence of Arabia, Gone With the Wind are all 4 hour movies. Not to mention that despite its obvious bloat The Snyder Cut is relatively well paced so it doesn’t seem as long. 

I finished it in one sitting. It wasn’t hard. I enjoyed it. If anyone couldn’t finish it in one sitting than I declare them to be a moron. 

Now THAT is a weird flex. 

You are super sensitive about this movie lmao.

I watched the whole movie in one sitting. I thought it was better than I expected. But complaining about the run-time is perfectly legitimate.

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

2 hours ago, Joe said:

You are super sensitive about this movie lmao.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

complaining about the run-time is perfectly legitimate.

One... @Mercury33 was also obviously joking

TWO Why Dont We Have Both GIF

On 4/1/2021 at 12:15 AM, cusideabelincoln said:

MoS’s take on the Kents makes sense when you realize that Snyder sees civilians in these stories the same way that Ayn Rand saw moochers and parasites. The cognitive dissonance comes from Jor-El and the movie wanting everyone to perceive Clark as a savior instead of a reluctant god. If he picked either lane, the movie might have worked. 

On 4/2/2021 at 4:18 AM, Mercury33 said:

Gettysburg,

:angry:

Mention that movie in my presence and you're likely to get an essay you have no interest in.

Actually it's nowhere near as bad as gods and generals, but either one is nothing but lost cause propaganda, and to make it worse they're not even enjoyable propaganda. I fucking hate both of those movies with the fire of a thousand suns.

The ONLY black characters in Gods and Generals are serving with the confederate army and are totally happy with their lot in life. As far as I recall, the only black characters in Gettysburg are stonewall Jackson's slaves. Then again, that might also be Gods and Generals. Those movies blur together a lot in my head.

The only civil war movies I've ever seen that don't promote some kind of lost cause propaganda are Glory, Ride with the Devil (weirdly, since it revolves around white characters serving the confederate cause and features a black character who fights with them, but somehow it works out... It's complicated), and the free state of jones. ALSO, gettysburg and gods and generals completely shy away from the brutality of the war. There was a hell of a lot of hand to hand combat in the civil war, it was insanely violent. In those movies, people just fall down when they're shot. At least in Glory someone gets brained in the first scene.

And even then, Glory and the Free State of Jones have white savior complexes.

Shit, see, there I go. Mention either of those fucking movies and I can't help myself.

Gods and Generals sucks, and gettysburg is only mildly better.

Saw all four hours of this w/ some friends the other day. What the fuck did I watch lol? Having missed the other DC films and lacking any frame of reference for the comic arc, this was genuinely one of the most batshit confusing viewing experiences of any popcorn film in my life.

18 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

:angry:

Mention that movie in my presence and you're likely to get an essay you have no interest in.

Actually it's nowhere near as bad as gods and generals, but either one is nothing but lost cause propaganda, and to make it worse they're not even enjoyable propaganda. I fucking hate both of those movies with the fire of a thousand suns.

The ONLY black characters in Gods and Generals are serving with the confederate army and are totally happy with their lot in life. As far as I recall, the only black characters in Gettysburg are stonewall Jackson's slaves. Then again, that might also be Gods and Generals. Those movies blur together a lot in my head.

The only civil war movies I've ever seen that don't promote some kind of lost cause propaganda are Glory, Ride with the Devil (weirdly, since it revolves around white characters serving the confederate cause and features a black character who fights with them, but somehow it works out... It's complicated), and the free state of jones. ALSO, gettysburg and gods and generals completely shy away from the brutality of the war. There was a hell of a lot of hand to hand combat in the civil war, it was insanely violent. In those movies, people just fall down when they're shot. At least in Glory someone gets brained in the first scene.

And even then, Glory and the Free State of Jones have white savior complexes.

Shit, see, there I go. Mention either of those fucking movies and I can't help myself.

Gods and Generals sucks, and gettysburg is only mildly better.

Gettysburg is fantastic. Love that move. Chamberlain FTW!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Gettysburg is fantastic. Love that move. Chamberlain FTW!!!!!

That's another reason the movies get mixed up in my head. Jeff Daniels is in both of them, and the images start to blur, and I can't remember what was in which movie.

Chris-Terrio-Superman.png
WWW.VANITYFAIR.COM

The ‘Argo’ Oscar winner is tired of being hated by the haters—and he despises what happened to his DC films too.

Seems like they blamed HIM for the movies being too dark but he says they were even darker when he came on board which I believe. Snyder was really the wrong fit for these characters.  He places a lot of the blame on the studio though. All of these guys seem to really like Snyder. Some interesting tidbits.

After watching Joss Whedon’s version of that film, Terrio was so disgusted that he explored taking his name off the movie. Especially galling to him was the sidelining of Ray Fisher’s tragic hero, Cyborg, whose arc the actor himself had helped craft.

Fisher has been outspoken for months about his experience making Justice League, following years of silence. Now Terrio is doing the same. He said he bottled up his feelings about the theatrical cuts to avoid hurting their casts and crews. Now that Snyder and Terrio’s preferred versions of the films are available to the public, the screenwriter is finally opening up about how it all went wrong in the first place.

Again, his issues didn't seem to be with Snyder

What was your relationship with Zack?

Good. I have nothing whatsoever bad to say about Zack. He has a skill set that I don’t have, as a visualist. And he has a contagious excitement—that when you describe a scene, he almost can’t contain himself and he just wants to go draw it or paint it. Zack never for a second turned his back on me or doubted my work.

After Batman/Superman, many of my Hollywood friends just stopped talking to me because they sort of thought that somehow I was complicit in this very public failure of a studio film. You learn pretty quickly who your real friends are and who your air-kiss Hollywood friends are. Zack could not have been more supportive and never stopped believing that together, we were going to create this big, epic DC world.

THIS is definitely on Snyder.

The studio seemed to take this position after BvS that my writing was too dark and that this was their problem. But what they didn’t mention was that, for example, in the draft of the Batman/Superman script that W.B. had developed—[which was] the draft I was handed when I joined the project—Batman was not only branding criminals with a bat brand, he also ended the movie by branding Lex Luthor.  

That ending was a point over which I explicitly went to the mat with the studio again and again. I argued that Batman cannot end the movie continuing this behavior, which amounted to torture, because then the movie was endorsing what he did.

Overall it's a great interview and an inside look at how much the studio fucked this whole DC movie thing up which is surprising because the usually have a rep as being a studio that is really hands off when it comes to their directors.

• Thanks 1

It's so interesting to me to see the co-writer and director of Heights and the sole writer of Argo, both great movies, then went on to co-write Batman v Superman and Star Wars Episode 9 and solely write Zack Snyder's Justice League. Just something to note - Affleck, who directed Terrio's Argo, brought him on originally to re-write Goyer's BvS script, and things went from there. Note Snyder is an idea guy but not the writer at all - his sole writing credits are just story/concept for Wonder Woman and then co-writer on 300: Rise of an Empire and Sucker Punch.

11 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

It is weird to see someone win an Oscar for writing a period drama that also won Best Picture, then spends the next decade only working on blockbuster sequels. I guess if that's what he wants to do, more power to him. 

That's not weird at all... a lot of Oscar winning screenwriters parlay that success into big paychecks writing big studio films whether credited or uncredited John Sayles and Robert Towne made fortunes doing that.

26 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's so interesting to me to see the co-writer and director of Heights and the sole writer of Argo, both great movies, then went on to co-write Batman v Superman and Star Wars Episode 9 and solely write Zack Snyder's Justice League. Just something to note - Affleck, who directed Terrio's Argo, brought him on originally to re-write Goyer's BvS script, and things went from there. Note Snyder is an idea guy but not the writer at all - his sole writing credits are just story/concept for Wonder Woman and then co-writer on 300: Rise of an Empire and Sucker Punch.

I get that Snyder wasn't the writer he... he was the director and producer. These films were HIS vision and Goyer and the other writers basically put his ideas to page. Terrio pretty much says that in the interview. Nothing in those original scripts was in there without Snyder's approval. In fact I believe most of that stuff CAME from him. Screenwriters, not matter how big they are, have VERY little say in how a final film plays out unless they are involved in some other aspect like directing or producing. They are the low man on the totem pole and often aren't welcome on film sets... as Terrio wasn't. Nothing about his interview rings false to me.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's not weird at all... a lot of Oscar winning screenwriters parlay that success into big paychecks writing big studio films whether credited or uncredited John Sayles and Robert Towne made fortunes doing that.

I get that Snyder wasn't the writer he... he was the director and producer. These films were HIS vision and Goyer and the other writers basically put his ideas to page. Terrio pretty much says that in the interview. Nothing in those original scripts was in there without Snyder's approval. In fact I believe most of that stuff CAME from him. Screenwriters, not matter how big they are, have VERY little say in how a final film plays out unless they are involved in some other aspect like directing or producing. They are the low man on the totem pole and often aren't welcome on film sets... as Terrio wasn't. Nothing about his interview rings false to me.

I'm with you but its the writers' job to make the ideas/vision of the director/producer to be good. Good dialogue, etc. It's just interesting to see how Terrio's skills didn't translate well to blockbuster films but at the same time studios quashed a lot as well, typical.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm with you but its the writers' job to make the ideas/vision of the director/producer to be good. Good dialogue, etc. It's just interesting to see how Terrio's skills didn't translate well to blockbuster films but at the same time studios quashed a lot as well, typical.

Yes but all the writer can do is suggest stuff... it's the director's call at the end of the day as to what makes it in the film. The director can change scenes on the day of the shoot or cut and change stuff in the edit. Writers are pretty much powerless to stop it outside of taking their names off the film like Terrio wanted to. They cut 30 minutes of story out of Batman vs Superman which he says would have helped the chatacterization. Would it have? I don't know. But he also may not be able to work well on big studio films. 

• Thanks 1